Caribou Gear

That one thing.....

SFC B

I was sorting through my stuff last night in preparation for packing my gear and had a thought looking at some of my stuff.....

What is the one thing you take that you think is unique/different than most folks?

Mine is my homemade bed roll/mattress....

A Peters .32 Remington rifle shell case I found in the rocks I was sitting on when I killed my first mule deer in the Little Belts a few years ago. It has been on every outing with me since, tucked away in my pants pocket.

When my oldest son was about 15 months, he was playing with a couple of pennies (we encourage our kids to eat coins). He slipped one in my boot and I didn't notice until I was about 4 miles into a backcountry bear hunt. I liked how much it reminded me of him and the fam so I throw one in my left boot on every hunt.

My son won a guided turkey hunt in SE Kansas. While there the outfitter gave me a tshirt with there logo on it. It was a special hunt for me and my son so I wore that shirt every hunt I went on. After about 6 years the shirt finally fell apart.

At least one of my home made survival matches. It's just 2 large strike anywhere matches wrapped in newspaper and dipped in wax. If you can find dry anything to burn these will keep ya warm cuz they have flame/tender wrapped in one nothing weight package and burn for several minutes.

Last edited:
One of the ivories from my first bull is usually in my pocket.

You guys should post up pics of some of this stuff.

When my dad had to quit smoking after his cancer diagnosis and the start of chemo, he would go through 1lb bags of Pep-O-Mint life savers like peanuts at a ballgame. I was able to take him on a trip right before he passed and somehow an unopened bag of those ended up in my luggage. Still have that same bag in the food box every time I go camping, after 17 years and through 3-4 different camp kitchens, they still smell fresh, so who knows what they put in those things.

I take Gerald Martin with me!
It seems to result in not so fun pack outs most often than not, not complaining though. :hump:

Even though I have a nice inflatable sleeping pad that stays in the tent I carry an acordian style pad everywhere I go to sit on. You can fold that puppy in so many different way to keep warm, dry and level. I also will not leave for a hunt without at least tubes of lip balm and pair of fingernail clippers. Nothing makes for a long hunt like super chapped lips.

My daughter always sends a Minion to keep me company when I'm away from home...

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
If I can legally have it on my person, I have a pocketknife my dad gave me in my right, front pocket. It was the last thing he ever handed me and said "here, this is yours"...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back