Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lower leg?????

NV_ARCH3R

I don't understand why I see soo many pictures of people packing out quarters with the lower leg still attached. Seems to me that's a lot of just bone, dead weight to pack for no reason. Font quarters are easy just cut through the knee joint, the hinds, a bit tricky to separate at the butchers joint (stifle) rather than the hock joint, but easily doable once understood where to cut.

Normally, I cut off the lower leg- even when having horses do the work. But this year's bull, I only cut the lower leg on the midnight front quarter backpack out. The next three quarters were easier to pack on my shoulder with the lower leg, the few times I moved them, as the lower leg acted as a counter balance and handle for throwing over my shoulder.
Last year's elk, I removed all the lower legs before packing out on horse back.
I do agree, the lower leg is nothing but dead weight and more bulk.

I can't say I'm any kind of a cook but I believe osso bucco is made from the shank which still has a bit of meat on it. those lower legs are only bone and tendon, I suppose if you like bone marrow. but like I said I'm no kind of cook. Don't take offence if I'm wrong.

Close enuff Cush....hell, I thought it was a coffee liqueur. ;)

Last edited:
Most don't know a good knife will take that joint apart.
We only leave it as stated above to carry out a quarter without a pack for the first trip out.

Most don't know a good knife will take that joint apart.
We only leave it as stated above to carry out a quarter without a pack for the first trip out.

Yes. For a number of years, I used a saw. How uneducated I was. It's so easy to use a knife to cut the lower legs off. And elk osso bucco is awesome!

Honestly sometimes I am just lazy and don't feel like doing it. And I don't really notice the extra couple pounds. Also if the pack is not very far, like my dads moose last year, I'll just leave them on.

I don't think I've ever used a saw for either fronts or hinds................and I do agree, take them off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back