Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Archery Elk 2017

Thanks for the comments. It was a big adventure and yesterday, I was moving slow, sore, and got some much needed rest. I'll try and get a tape on him in the next couple days. This guy will fill up the remaining space in our two freezers.

What an awesome bull, and one heck of a shot. I rifle hunt that area and always enjoy seeing others take good bulls from there. Pretty cool about the mustang, was she a Mustang Makeover project, or did you guys train her yourself? Enjoy your trophy and good meat.

Pagosa- The horse was a TIP program horse. She had 90 days to be able to: get him halter broke, be able to pick up his feet, and put him in a trailer. The original adopter backed out last minute so she adopted him (cause we just put down her long-time horse :( ). He is 2 years old and rides, packs, and is a rather pleasant horse. Heck, even I can get on his back and ride him.

DSC04337.jpg

Thanks for the info about the horse. I think the mustangs are a good source for finding a mountain trail horse. Several individuals use them for competition rides in NW MT. Its pretty amazing she is two years old. Congrats on the elk. Preston

Wow, that's a great bull!

Just a thought, when I packed elk on horses I would load the antlers and head on in a more rearward position. That way, you don't have those royals pointing towards the horses flanks.

dsc02003.jpg

Great bull!! Congrats! I dig seeing those white pics compared to the ones we've been seeing of MT this summer...

Mules are great when it comes time to pack out a bull. I'm guessing I'll be wishing for access to one if I get lucky to notch my MT tag.

Wow, that's a great bull!

Just a thought, when I packed elk on horses I would load the antlers and head on in a more rearward position. That way, you don't have those royals pointing towards the horses flanks.

View attachment 74058

JLS- That looks much better than what we had going on. Usually, the elk heads are smaller and we put them on sideways. I think I need more experience packing large elk heads on horseback. ;)

That is a great bull and a great write-up. Congrats.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back