Quick preference point qusetion

Gunner46

Can't seem to find a simple page on the WY F&G site that shows the cost of this years preference point for Pronghorns.

$50.. $75 ...????????????

Last edited:
Best deal in the West! Get 2 or 3 points at $30 per and as a non-resident are able to draw about 60% of the limited entry hunts for pronghorn in Wyoming. High harvest rates. Should be able to get a unit with plenty of public land as well.

Best deal in the West! Get 2 or 3 points at $30 per and as a non-resident are able to draw about 60% of the limited entry hunts for pronghorn in Wyoming. High harvest rates. Should be able to get a unit with plenty of public land as well.

Shhhhh, lets keep it a secret!

I disagree. In 2-3 years most of these 2-3 point units will take 4-6 points. Point creep is hitting antelope hard. 6 years ago I bought my first point for a "2 point unit." This year it took 8 points. It's the best deal going for Wyoming Game and Fish. Not for hunters.

That said, Wyoming antelope hunting is great. But, don't be mistaken. You'd be drawing good tags as often or more often without the points, and for a lot cheaper.

Actually, thinking about my post more, I don't necessarily disagree with you. WY antelope is a good deal for an easy, fun hunt. It could just be a lot better deal without the point system.

I disagree. In 2-3 years most of these 2-3 point units will take 4-6 points. Point creep is hitting antelope hard. 6 years ago I bought my first point for a "2 point unit." This year it took 8 points. It's the best deal going for Wyoming Game and Fish. Not for hunters.

That said, Wyoming antelope hunting is great. But, don't be mistaken. You'd be drawing good tags as often or more often without the points, and for a lot cheaper.

Absolutely correct there is more pressure for the available tags but point creep is limited to a handful of pronghorn units while several units are still filling 1st Choices at 0-2 points and other units can be picked up as 2nd Choice preserving your points and about 12 units had leftover buck tags on the mostly private land units. If you want to hunt pronghorn in WY and are waiting for a unit that takes 8 points then that is a personal choice and should not keep you from hunting pronghorn every year as you play the point creep game to snag that particular unit.

You are absolutely correct Lopehunter. We've filled all of our leftover antelope tags the last couple years and had a blast doing it. I'm saving points because the unit I want to hunt offers other opportunities I can combine with an antelope hunt. 8 points this year probably means 10-12 points by the time I catch up. In that instance, the preference points are far from a great deal.

With license cost increase I think point creep will slow for a few years, hopefully, for some of you NR . We'll have to wait and see though.
At $30 I don't see why one would not buy a point if they plan to come out for antelope.

isu22andy you are correct only 1 point a year, if someone has 8 to 10 points that is 8 to 10 years worth of building points.

Back