Caribou Gear

Salmon idaho area-smoke issues?

MITCHMO

I'm headed out to that area and I was hearing the smoke is pretty bad around there. I've never been there, so I'm not sure of how much this effects glassing or animals in the area. Anyone been in the area lately or hear any reports? Talked with fish and game and they said they couldn't see the building across the street.

Smoke is finally clearing across the whole state. More moisture coming in Tuesday (sept.18) so hopefully it kills the smoke for the season.
It totally effects looking! Like in not seeing over 100 yards at times.
Very clear today after yesterdays major wind event.

West side of the state is just now clearing and in the southwest corner it's still very smoky with limited range

Sounds like good news then. I talked with them close to a week ago. I still have some time, but having never been in those conditions, I was wondering.

Haha not the big area. Probably the small ones closer to the smoke :)

Precip coming in starting Monday the moisture from yesterday has already started to calm down the 3 big fires in Idaho right now.
So with the coming moisture should really put a hurt on them and get rid of the smoke. Been living in for over 4 weeks now.
It's about killed me and the rest of the state.

Just finished a 10 day hunt South of Salmon around 8600ft the smoke was never too bad to glass but it sure seemed to put a good layer of dust on everything

Makes me feel better already. Any luck murph? Interesting it out dust or ash on everything. Never would have thought that would happen.

Only bad luck. I ranged a cow at 40 yards with a really nice bull hidden behind her. The bull stepped out right on queue but walked toward me. When he turned broadside he was less than 30 yards but my brain was still thinking 40. I hit him high just above the lungs.

That's good to hear! I'm heading out to unit 28 in 3 weeks and have been worried about smoke and visibility. I've got a B tag and a wolf tag burning a hole in my pocket, and I was hoping the fires wouldn't be the reason I came up short.

Thank you for the report!!

I have an elk tag for the salmon area, 36b, 28, etc. Would anyone suggest what unit would provide me the best opportunity to fill my tag? I plan on hunting alone and packing in by foot for a week. I am ready to hike up and down mountains and put in the work. I thought of trying to find an outfitter or pack station to take me in, but it seems all are booked up already. Anyhow, i appreciate any advice.

Thank you...

Back