Best Bird Dog for Apartment

WBouldin

So my wife and I are looking to get a bird dog but we live in a 2 bedroom apartment and work during the day. Have looked at Brittany's and GSPs and hear mixed things on whether or not it will work. Any retriever is probably out of the question. We do live close to a park (one block walk) where the dog could run and I would be willing to run it in the morning and when I get home.

Am I a fool to try and make this work or is it a possibility. Research tells me the Brittany is the better option but really want the GSP. Also, hiring someone to come walk the dog 2-3 times a week wouldn't be out of the question and the dog wouldn't leave our side on the weekends.

In my experience, an English-style Lab from a good breeder is the calmest of the great bird dogs. Bred to be "manor dogs" - machines in the field and marshmellows in the home. A little big for apt but easy to find females in the low 60s. They are an order of magnitude less hyper than the GSP, Brittany and various setters. This being said they will need a couple of good walks a day to keep in shape and to burn some energy, and are a little more work for the first 18 months as they are still puppies like any breed.

If you have a bunch of outdoor space there are many great breeds, but if you want peace and quiet in the living room the English bred labs are tops by a long way.

I've had two GSPs, they are not apartment dogs. They are high energy and will need a lot of attention, and if they don't get the attention they will entertain themselves-by destroying things. They are fantastic dogs though, I'll have another one for sure.

I have a 2yr old chocolate lab and I don't think she would be out of place in an apartment. My wife and I both work during the day and as long as she gets out for regular exercise(3-5 days per week) she is good.

I haven't seen much difference in energy level between britts and GSP. And I wouldn't bet any money on it, but I have a suspicion that you are more likely to get a whiner/barker with a britt. That doesn't fly so well when you're gone all day and the neighbors have to listen to it.

IMO, a neutered English Pointer or English Setter is pretty calm and makes a good "lay on the floor all day" type dog. But that doesn't come until they are 4-6 years old.

Fact is, all of the pointing breeds have tons of energy.

Check out the "Maverick" line of Britts. They are known to be a bit less energetic. I have one and he is, without question, the best dog I have every owned. He's too old to hunt now, but in his prime he was an awesome bird dog. As soon as he got home he'd just want to curl up at your feet (or in your lap if he had his choice.) He was a much better house dog than all of my friends Labs and shorthairs and shed a lot less, too. He'd have been just fine in an apartment. Great temperament, too. Even in his old age I never think twice about my 9 month old crawling around him.

I know everybody's personal dog is the "best", but after hunting with just about all of them, the only dog (inside or out) that I'll own in the future will be a Brittany Spaniel. They are just plain great overall dogs.

Pheasant Picture.jpg

They're all going to be a PIA until they're three. I'd figure the breed you want and then look to buy/adopt a mature dog.

Just a thought- Our WPGs are pretty mellow when not hunting. Iv'e had GSPs and they are just so high energy. When it comes time to train or hunt my griffs flip a switch, otherwise they think they are lap dogs and professional nappers. I cant speak about Dratharas or GWP, but might take a look at something along those lines as well...

20170723_113642.jpg

Though, we don't live in an apartment, my pudelpointer has adapted pretty well to a schedule much like yours. He's been by far the easiest dog we've ever had in the house. That said, he's far from a "good" hunting dog, so maybe the two are related... ;)

I've had GSP's and Labs. There is no way I'd leave either one alone in an apartment all day. They get bored and start destroying things.

I think to be fair to the dog you have to be honest about your situation and how much time you can devote to them and to hunting.

My wife and I got a corgi as we have been living in small apartments for the last couple of years and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Gus definitely isn't going to go toe to toe with a well trained bird dog but I guarantee he does better in the field than 99% of the labs out there that only go into the field 3-4 times a year. I have spent a ton of time working with him and he is a great companion and adequate hunting dog. He sits down instead of pointing, and can be a little reluctant to retrieve birds in fast moving water, I always bring waders just in case, but he has retrieved plenty of ducks, grouse, ptarmigan, and pheasant.

Get a dog you can give a good life to and that will be a great companion during the times your aren't hunting.

gus2.JPG
gus3.JPG

So my wife and I are looking to get a bird dog but we live in a 2 bedroom apartment and work during the day. Have looked at Brittany's and GSPs and hear mixed things on whether or not it will work. Any retriever is probably out of the question. We do live close to a park (one block walk) where the dog could run and I would be willing to run it in the morning and when I get home.

Am I a fool to try and make this work or is it a possibility. Research tells me the Brittany is the better option but really want the GSP. Also, hiring someone to come walk the dog 2-3 times a week wouldn't be out of the question and the dog wouldn't leave our side on the weekends.

You ever seen a GSP lead a blind person across the street? Didn't think so, and there is a reason for that, they are way too high energy for a small apartment. Get a lab!

What about a Golden Retriever. I've had two that were good hunters, and even better house dogs.

Definitely would not get a GSP. My second choice would be the Griffon like OwyheeHuntr mentioned above. I haven never owned one, but the ones I've been around were calm as could be but still hunted great.

I think to be fair to the dog you have to be honest about your situation and how much time you can devote to them and to hunting.

My wife and I got a corgi as we have been living in small apartments for the last couple of years and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Gus definitely isn't going to go toe to toe with a well trained bird dog but I guarantee he does better in the field than 99% of the labs out there that only go into the field 3-4 times a year. I have spent a ton of time working with him and he is a great companion and adequate hunting dog. He sits down instead of pointing, and can be a little reluctant to retrieve birds in fast moving water, I always bring waders just in case, but he has retrieved plenty of ducks, grouse, ptarmigan, and pheasant.

Get a dog you can give a good life to and that will be a great companion during the times your aren't hunting.

View attachment 74087
View attachment 74088

I love this!! It made me laugh.

My wife had a young corgi when we started dating and she is "our" dog now that we are married. She's a tiny thing but has more attitude than any dog I've ever met. My dream is to take her squirrel hunting, but she's deathly afraid of loud noises and would probably disappear if she heard the crack of my .22. That little dog challenges me daily, but man is she fun! If only I could get her to control that ear-piercing bark. I think our 9 month old daughter is going to need hearing aids by the time she gets to school because of that bark.

Honestly, great post! I love seeing stuff like this. I'm totally envious. After seeing this I may even consider getting another one someday if my wife agrees to let me train it.

Well i certainly appreciate all of the input guys! I have be in contact with a couple of breeders and based on those discussions and the comments above, we are going to go with a Brittany. They are much smaller than a lab, have the energy to be a fun dog/good hunter, but also seem to adapt the best to house life given the dedication to proper training. When talking to the breeders i didnt hold anything back and almost was giving them every reason to say "I dont think this will work" and still she told me that she would be fine giving me a puppy. They are close to the next breeding attempt so the puppy is a few months off which will give us plenty of time to prepare for a successful process. Will update this thread as we move along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back