Best Bird Dog for Apartment

Thats awesome!!!! Corgi for the win!!!

My dad passed a couple weeks ago and he loved my dog Gus. He always said he reminded him of Stickeen, John Muir's dog, and in my dad's stuff I found his first edition of Stickeen and after reading it couldn't help but agree.

“‘Such a little helpless creature will only be in the way I said…This trip is not likely to be good for toy-dogs. The poor silly thing will be in rain and snow for weeks or months, and will require care like a baby.’ But his master assured me that he would be no trouble at all; that he was a perfect wonder of a dog, could endure cold and hunger like a bear, swim like a seal, and was wondrous wise and cunning… he brought the fox to mind… he was short-legged and bunchy bodied… I have known many dogs, and many a story I could tell of their wisdom and devotion; but to none do I owe so much as to Stickeen. At first the least promising and least known of my dog-friends, he suddenly became the best known of them all.”-John Muir

BigBuck I hope you find a devoted friend in that Brittany and the two of you get to spend years together chasing birds. Can't wait for the pictures!

My current GSP would be a good candidate but he's very much the exception rather than the rule. My first two were nightmares when they were pups.

The breed is not as important in this case as the parents. Pick the breed you want then find the breeding/parents that exhibit the characteristics you want.

I have a brittany. He would be fine in an apartment but not by himself for long stretches of time. He's pretty chill but very social. He's not nearly as destructive as labs I've known/owned though. You might consider a springer or cocker spaniel. These would be serious considerations for me if I were in an apartment.

You should look at the AWS (American Water Spaniel) Smaller than most gun breeds except a Boykin. Ows is now 10 and there was a period where we both worked and he was home alone all day. He is a hunting maniac. Loves upland and ducks. They are a flushing breed but hunt close.

Attachments

• Curly Hunt.jpg
    Curly Hunt.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 130

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back