7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor

Sounds like I wouldn't be wrong in getting either one, my main concern is the ammunition. Sounds like the 6.5cm has a lot of options online but seeing that comifornia is basically all but banning online ammo sales I'll probably have to reload. So my next question would be how is case availableity and case life on the creedmoor?

I run hornady cases and I am getting outstanding life on my cases. I don't load laser beams, but I'm not far off book max. I have not had a problem buying brass from midway, but I am still on my original 300 cases I purchased. This may just be me, but they don't seem to grow as much as some of the other calibers I load for. I'd love to hear how some of the guys that are really pushing the round are doing with case life.

I will say I have yet to see 6.5CM on my local wallyworld shelves, but 7-08 is usually got a couple options if that is a concern.

Last edited:
Sounds like I wouldn't be wrong in getting either one, my main concern is the ammunition. Sounds like the 6.5cm has a lot of options online but seeing that comifornia is basically all but banning online ammo sales I'll probably have to reload. So my next question would be how is case availableity and case life on the creedmoor?

If the ammo is your concern I would go with 7mm-08. It's much easier to find on store shelves, more options, cheaper, and more lead-free bullets. Plus if you are going to reload, you can generally make 7mm-08 brass from the very plentiful .308 brass relatively easily.

Brass availability for both is pretty good. 7mm08 can be formed from any 308 based cartridge if you cant find what you want and there are several quality manufacturers of 6.5 Creedmoor.

I don't understand the need to find ammunition on the shelf, when you're already on the internet, and in a few clicks have it show up at your door.

I don't understand the need to find ammunition on the shelf, when you're already on the internet, and in a few clicks have it show up at your door.

Starting the first of the year, California is going to start requiring that ammunition sales be face to face transactions and that they be through registered dealers. It's basically going to be the same paperwork as purchasing a firearm. So online stuff will be have to be done through an FFL. Problem is that many folks already won't even deal with FFLs in California because of all the bullshit. It's going to be an expensive headache to get ammo that isn't readily available locally.

Forgetting a box of ammo on a trip isn't hard to do. Internet sales don't do much good when you're trying to find a box the day before a hunt or on an afternoon when you realize you didn't bring any extras.

I'm pretty much a skeptic. I would take a 7mm-08 if the reason came up but if I had to choose between it and the 6.5 Creedmore, I'll take the 260 Rem. I reload and have for a long long time. Where to get inexpensive Creedmore case, I haven't a clue. I've read from different place's that they can be made from 308's as that's the parent case. Also read that it's not but some 30 cal wild cat ? It does appear that the parent is the 30 cal wild cat! The Creedmore is gonna have to be around longer and give more over the 260 Rem than it does to sell me. Cool name though and I suspect it's a cool name for a reason! 260 Rem just isn't cool but it will do everything within reason than the Creedmore and lot easier to find inexpensive case's.

Where to get inexpensive Creedmore case, I haven't a clue.

A 50 pack of Hornady brass is 35 bucks from Midsouth Shooters Supply, regardless of 7mm HT, 6.5 Man Bun, or 260 Remington on the headstamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgetting a box of ammo on a trip isn't hard to do. Internet sales don't do much good when you're trying to find a box the day before a hunt or on an afternoon when you realize you didn't bring any extras.

I may forget socks, food, or beer on a hunting trip. Ammo and such, no way.

I'm pretty much a skeptic. I would take a 7mm-08 if the reason came up but if I had to choose between it and the 6.5 Creedmore, I'll take the 260 Rem. I reload and have for a long long time. Where to get inexpensive Creedmore case, I haven't a clue. I've read from different place's that they can be made from 308's as that's the parent case. Also read that it's not but some 30 cal wild cat ? It does appear that the parent is the 30 cal wild cat! The Creedmore is gonna have to be around longer and give more over the 260 Rem than it does to sell me. Cool name though and I suspect it's a cool name for a reason! 260 Rem just isn't cool but it will do everything within reason than the Creedmore and lot easier to find inexpensive case's.
The Creedmoor is not based on a 308. It's cases can be made, after fireforming, from 22-250 or 250 Savage cases. Think of it as a 6.5-250 AI (30º vs 40º shoulders) and you'll be close.

If the creedmore case is from a 30Tc, then the parent , or grandparent, case is the .308. The only difference is the case thickness and angle, Right?

Starting the first of the year, California is going to start requiring that ammunition sales be face to face transactions and that they be through registered dealers. It's basically going to be the same paperwork as purchasing a firearm. So online stuff will be have to be done through an FFL. Problem is that many folks already won't even deal with FFLs in California because of all the bullshit. It's going to be an expensive headache to get ammo that isn't readily available locally.

I'm not going to pay much attention to this..

As I've gotten older I have learned to never underestimate my stupidity. More power to you if you are much more detail oriented.

Even if I miss some details, ammo isn't going to be one of them. Truth of the matter, I'll probably find enough ammo for a hunting trip by just searching around in my truck for a few minutes.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back