MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor

The Creed is no longer hot to trot, it's here to stay. It was 9% of Hornadys production last year and forecasted to increase this year.

I guess I should get one now....then I'd have Ginger, Maryann and Mrs Howell.

Having in my safe a 7mm08, 25naught, .257R, 7x57, etc. etc. ( I not only have the ladies of Gilligan's Island, but the whole damn cast - the 6.5 Gilligan would probably round it out)- and thinking that a 6.5 manbun would be a good addition to my wife's armory, I am one who doesn't quite get the this caliber vs. that caliber thing. I'll probably never buy another rifle for myself but am always eyeing the new and cool, etc.
I like guns.
Contentious political threads are way more interesting.............

This is the build in HT-08 I did for the Hunting Princess this year. Got a good deal buying the SA barreled action straight from Matt at LSI. It is a Boyd's TH stock in nutmeg with a vortex crossfire 3x9x40 . All in, including gunsmithing with a full bedding, it was less than anything stock remotely comparable. AND it shoots well. Shooting the Hornady Custom Lite rounds and the HP has no issues with the recoil at all (this is the first rifle above 5.56 she has fired).

Attachments

• Kiki range.jpg
    Kiki range.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • gun 2.jpg
    gun 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,208
I just don't see any reason to put that much powder behind a .257" bullet. I know people love the 25-06 and 257 weebee, but I've never seen the attraction (that's just me). As for beginning kids on hunting, generations of young hunters have turfed their first big game animal (elk included) here in Montana with the .243.

A lot said smart in this post...in particular on the medium sized game.

Have shot a lot of game with a .243/6mm...and the 7-08 doesn't suck either.

Coke or Pepsi? Both calibers in question are very good, I'd look at the model of rifle available to you more than choosing between these two calibers. If you find a rifle that fits you better, that's a better buy or just looks more appealing, then that's the one I'd choose. I have both calibers and for whatever reason I get better accuracy from the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor isn't the flavor of the month or the new kid on the block, it's very much a proven performer, as is the 7mm-08. BTW, Coke vs. Pepsi, that answer is clearly Dr. Pepper!

7mm-08 for me. The current selection of factory ammo is better(especially non-lead). Not sure if this is the case in California, or any other state where you may plan on hunting, but calibers restrictions is something to keep in mind. My wife is looking for a hunting rifle in the near future, she also has dreams of one day drawing a Pennsylvania elk tag. Current PA hunting regulations state that gun must be greater than .27 caliber for elk hunting, so she is going with the 7mm-08.

7mm-08 vote here.

Of course i had to go the different route and make mine an AI.
I also live in PA and have entered the elk lottery for the past 7-8 years.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my 284 Win build. Bedding and scope mounting left to do.

Next year will be the 250 Savage build. Followed by the 6.5mm Rem Mag build.
I could see a 25 Souper build in the future also.

I have a Creedmoor and if hand loading for hunting it would be great. There are several factory 140g hunting rounds but I couldn't get the combo I really wanted. If I would of gone with the 7-08 it is readily available.

The other thing I noticed for factory ammunition is the Creedmoor options are best bought online as the local stores don't carry many options. Usually one or two choices, where as the 7-08 has at least 4 different options at any given store. If I had to do it over again I would go with the 7mm.

With the long range greatness of the 6.5 creedmores. I was wondering if anyone has stuck a custom 30 inch barrel on a 6.5 creedmore and used quality handloads in it at say 1000 yards. What kind of performance gains did you see from it. I see a lot of newbies at the range with 6.5cm trying to shoot out to 1000 with factory ammo and. They usually leave the range fairly disappointed, way to much vertical.

I am thinking about buying a 6.5 cm, but till I see one at the range lay waste, or even keep up to my 308 with good accurate handloads. I just haven't been able to justify the cost. Not knocking the 6.5cm just hoping someone that has spent time and really tuned a load give me some info on what the 6.5 real capabilites are.

I have both. I like both.

If I had to pick one for hunting. I'm going with the 7mm-.08 over the CM, all day, every day, at least for normal western hunting situations. Put 140 grain E-Tips in my 7mm-.08 and it will kill anything I hunt in the Lower 48 without having to make much compromise in shot selection.

I'll leave the long range hunting shots to the TV shows and just wonder why ......? Now, long range at steel targets the Creedmoor is very capable. The Creedmoor is used frequently in PRS type matches out to 1,200 yards and I've seen quite a few mile shots made with it as well. I love long range shooting and as close as possible hunting.

I too have both. This is my wife's new Tikka T3 6.5 with a Bartlien sendero 26". It shoots factory Hornady 143 grain eldx bullets and their 140 match grade eld good enough I don't need to reload. I wouldn't try an elk past 500 yds though. This is just a fun gun to shoot and yes it can shoot things way out there. Dang I can't get the picture to flip properly from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Having a 7mm hunt talk, 25-06 .270 and 28 nosler, I'd probably pick the creedmoore. If I had to pick between the two I'd take the 7mm-08 all day long, I've always had short hair now I have little hair so I wouldn't want to look like a bald hippie with a ponytail.

Snazzy rig Lawnboy....
My wife loves bling so I got her a gun with bling. Strictly for appearance and not performance of course.

Thanks "Addicting" for fixing the picture for me.

Back to the topic. Both are almost the same ballistically out to 500 it seems so I'd go with whatever floats your boat. The 6.5 will get you some harassment from this crowd it appears. :)

Lawnboy, who did your barrel & bolt fluting, someone local or did you send it out? Apparently I like bling too, I really like that matching barrel & bolt. I may have to get my wife a rifle like that one. It would go well with some of the fishing poles, etc. I've bought her over the years, but I'm guessing in your case your wife really does shoot it.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back