Caribou Gear

7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor

Woodland whitetail with a 7mmRUM - that got to be a penis thing -- it's either really big and he what to remind folks or it's really small and he is compensating.

...could be they need 90 grains of powder to push a ballistic tip to terminal performance.:hump:;)

Living in Ca. and not being able to order ammo on the net makes being able to have a decent selection at a local store important. My wife and son both own 7mm-08 rifles and a good buddy also has one. With these 3 rifles I have been able to find a good variety of non-lead ammo that they shoot well. My wife's gun will shoot any non toxic load I have tried so far. She is shooting Barnes right now but if need be the others aren't bad. Not sure how available non toxic ammo for the 6.5 is going to be in the near future. For anything under 400 yards the 7mm-08 is at least as good as the 6.5 with available factory ammo, better in most loads that are in stock.

If the creedmore case is from a 30Tc, then the parent , or grandparent, case is the .308. The only difference is the case thickness and angle, Right?

Isn't the 30TC from a 30-30 case? Or did I miss something. I may be confused as my TC 30 Herritt is a 30-30 case.

I don't own the 7mm-08 or the 6.5 but I have a question. If you were going to hunt elk with either would the Barnes TTX solid copper bullet be your choice?

Last edited:
If you were going to hunt elk with either would the Barnes TTX solid copper bullet be your choice?

Do you mean TSX? The Barnes site says that bullet comes is 120 or 130 grains for the 6.5. My Howa 6.5 likes the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X much better than any of the lighter bullets I've tried so far, including the 120gr Hornady GMX. Maybe the 130gr Barnes bullet would work...

2dogs,

I’m shooting 124 grain Hammer Hunters from my 6.5. No field results yet, but I’ve killed elk with 85 grain TSX bullets from my .243 with great results. Anything in the 120-140 grain monolithics should be just fine.

Well I ended up getting a 6.5 cm. I got a good deal on one and went for it. I shot it the other day and not too much recoil so I think my nephew can handle it. So far I haven't had any issue finding unleaded gmx ammo for it and the ammo runs around the same price as 308, 30-06 ammo and I'm ok with that. I figure it should be enough to take down a deer or even a medium sized black bear at normal ranges so hopefully it performs well and who knows I might even use it one day.

Back