Caribou Gear

7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor

Bigjav

I'm looking to get a new rifle. I want a short action that has enough muscle to take on medium sized game but not the recoil as I plan on teaching my nephew to shoot it also. I have heard good things about both these cartridges but looking to see if one has an edge over the other. Ammo availability will also play a roll because starting at the end of the year it going to be a lot tougher to get ammo here in Comifornia

And if you don't handload the 7mm08 will typically offer many more factory load hunting options and greater availability at local shops.

No great deviations with my response. 7mm/08 hands down.

The 6.5 Creed has only come into the 'Hot-to-Trot' category within the past few years. I can't count the HtT cartridges that fizzled out after just a few years, because of:

~ ammo manufactures lack of support due to lack luster OTC sales (if it's not moving nation wide, it gets dropped)
~ Over inflated expectations of a cartridge that really doesn't do much more than what is already available (260 Rem, 6.5X55, etc)
~ Price point on the rifles

The 7mm/08 has had a steadily growing fan base for the last 20/30 yrs, or so. For Good reason. It has defeated enough of the negatives and supported enough of the positives the hunting community has demanded.

My final argument for the round is that it was the cartridge that Howa gave Randy to represent their company & Hunt Talk. When a major rifle manufacturer puts that kind of faith into a rifle/cartridge combo that is going to be used Web-Wide to show case their company....it's saying something !

Besides, that's what I hunt with.........

Don't think you will go wrong with either caliber, I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor very very light recoil...shoots great but would expect same from 7-08....

Ginger was obviously a West Coast elite, while Mary Ann was most likely of sweet Mid America conservative heritage. True colors.....?

If you want true colors . . . the 14 yr old me was hot for Ginger, but by early 30's learned what a pain in the *ss the Gingers of the world are and became a MaryAnn guy. Post above was a nostalgia pick.

If we get to go off the board I would pick 25-06 over .243, but would still pick 7mm08 if I could only have one.

I just don't see any reason to put that much powder behind a .257" bullet. I know people love the 25-06 and 257 weebee, but I've never seen the attraction (that's just me). As for beginning kids on hunting, generations of young hunters have turfed their first big game animal (elk included) here in Montana with the .243.

I turfed my first elk, (and a shit load of others after that) with an .06. But, the ol girl ain't cool anymore. mtmuley

Back