Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Zinke pushes to improve hunting and fishing access on Public Lands!

mfb99

No, not really. Here is the real headline “Trump administration working toward renewed drilling in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge”

Go here to read the article in the WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/

This is the real Zinke, he is the antithesis of TR.

Zinke and his DC hacks are about the extraction industry - more gas, more oil, more mining.

Oil has been trading below $55 a barrel for over two years. The Bakken oil drillers are dying on the vine because of reduced demand and oversupply. Renewable energy continues to advance. The energy sector and Oil stocks are the only down market in the entire stock market.

And what does Zinke what to do? Drill in the freaking Artic. What a stupid irresponsible idea from our Interior Secretary. TR filled his office with trophies from his hunts; Zinke fills his office with statues of oil rigs and models of CAT D-9’s.

Yeah Zinke, you will be remembered, as the rottenest, darkest swamp creature to ever hold the post of Interior Secretary.

Fight back; call your Congressional representatives: 202-224-3121 Tell them to stop their assault on OUR Public Lands.

Note: If you want to rail about the WP, don’t post. If you want to post childish pictures of Nancy Pelosi don’t post, if you want to post about the evil liberals, don’t post. If you want to be civil and use YOUR brain, post away.

Cheers,

Mark

Ye shall be free to roam…

Mfb99, I thought BigFin told folks to knock off these broad philosophical political rants. There are thousands of places on the internet for this, but not here.

Last edited:
I keep hearing there are fewer hunters today than in years past, which may very well be true, then explain to me why I see butt loads more hunters in all the places I've been hunting my entire life, cant think of one spot where I see less hunters today than I did 5, 10, 15 or 40 years ago?

Credit where credit is due, Zinke did a good thing according to the link JWP58 posted. That said, not sure the need to drill in ANWR. From what I've read it sounds like a pretty special place. Given current market conditions, what is the benefit to drilling? Why not leave it alone? What is the benefit to American public land owners?

Also, nice comment about "commies on hunttalk" JWP58:p

I keep hearing there are fewer hunters today than in years past, which may very well be true, then explain to me why I see butt loads more hunters in all the places I've been hunting my entire life, cant think of one spot where I see less hunters today than I did 5, 10, 15 or 40 years ago?

I am not suggesting I have the answer, but a couple of plausible answers to your question are: (1) the drop of available hunting land is happening faster than the drop in hunters therefore increasing density even while the total number of hunters shrink, and/or (2) western hunting is experiencing an increase in interest, while other (historically more numerous) types are shrinking.

It's hard to find anything to disagree with in the order, but the gritty stuff lies in the details. Seems like a lot to put on the plate for land managers while also facing a 12% budget cut to go with continued cuts on LWCF.

It's hard to find anything to disagree with in the order, but the gritty stuff lies in the details. Seems like a lot to put on the plate for land managers while also facing a 12% budget cut to go with continued cuts on LWCF.

I'd like to see the details too, it looks good on paper, but an unfunded mandate is just lip service. Fully funding the LWCF could greatly aid in making public lands public and allow managers to identify easement, rights of way and fee acquisition projects for critical access.

There's the funding thing, but even from a broad overlook what exactly has to change to increase access to hunting? The only thing I can think of is to start allowing motorized access. It is the same thing with the forest understory thinning he promoted the other day. That would be a huge money loser unless there is some other underlying motive. I can't make it add up, and even the larger details are conspicuously missing.

"....an unfunded mandate is just lip service".
"....the larger details are conspicuously missing".

A common thread running through much these days.

Fewer hunters spending more time in the field.
When I was young I can remember here in SE MT there was a lot of weekend nonresident hunter. They would often hunt the first weekend, shoot the first buck they saw and head home. This is not the case with most of today's nonresidents. Now a nonresident is much more likely to come mid Nov. and stay for at least a week and often two. Adds up to a lot more hunter days.
I will agree that leasing has displaced hunters to public. It is not however like the leased ranches are unhunted. Many of the outfitted ranches near me are hunted far more intensely now than they were before they were leased. Now it is just a different group of hunters.
This year FWP issued 8000 doe tags. Even if it only takes one half a day on average to fill a doe tag it is still 4000 more hunter days in region 7.

Back