Rules for bow-hunting near public hiking trails

PantonValentine

I had some other plans canceled recently and was looking at some places closer to town. We have a lot of old logging roads that get a fair amount of use by morning hikers/dogs. I wouldn't expect to see anyone where I'd be hunting but it wouldn't be out of the question either. What are your rules/practices regarding areas where you might encounter hikers?

I personally tend to stay away from trails in this kind of situation. My two reasons are:
#1 I don't like excess human traffic where I'm hunting
#2 I think it unnerves some of the hiker/dogwalker/jogger crowd to see hunters close by, so in an effort to keep good public relations I try to stay away.

I personally tend to stay away from trails in this kind of situation. My two reasons are:
#1 I don't like excess human traffic where I'm hunting
#2 I think it unnerves some of the hiker/dogwalker/jogger crowd to see hunters close by, so in an effort to keep good public relations I try to stay away.

A lot of trails used extensively by hikers give access to great hunting areas. I don't care if it unnerves hikers or not. Usually you leave them behind at some point anyway. mtmuley

Keep in mind that if you were to shoot something and someone saw it, it could cause quite the stir. This happened around where I live and it caused quite the public outcry.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back