Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Grizzly attack in MT Gravelly Range

He was telling the truth! I have nothing against bears, but if one is attacking me, he will get shot (if I can). LOL

I guess I'm lost why it's notable?
If a grizzly attacks you, I'm guessing it won't be kind and courteous.

Exactly. "Viciously lashed," to me, implies that the bear had some evil intent. The guy recognized that it was just being a bear. Yea, the result is the same, but it feels to me like the NRA style is to make everything good vs evil. Apparently it is an effective recruiting tool, but it seems overplayed to me.

Exactly. "Viciously lashed," to me, implies that the bear had some evil intent. The guy recognized that it was just being a bear. Yea, the result is the same, but it feels to me like the NRA style is to make everything good vs evil. Apparently it is an effective recruiting tool, but it seems overplayed to me.

Well, I think the bear probably didn't have 'good' intentions when it mauled the guy, even if it is just 'being a bear'...

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Whether it's an effective tool for gaining membership, who knows. Certainly wouldn't be on my top 10 list when considering where to spend my greenbacks.

Perhaps it's just me and my limited bear attack article recollections, but it seems most article authors try to paint the picture to the reader of how vicious an attack really is, despite the "bear just being a bear". I'm sure shark attack articles read pretty similar.

It is the style of many forum members to make the NRA look evil. I guess they have that in common with the lefties.

If it happened to me the last thing I would be thinking is "It's just a bear being a bear". I'd be trying to shoot it and after I'd be happy the NRA has helped me keep the right to own the gun I shot it with. Sorry but my life is more important than any bear. No bear is going to feed my family. Thats just me being human.

Last edited:
I don't know if I am getting my idea across. My point is that a bear attack is violent, but the word vicious, to me, implies some evil intent. Just as when I shoot an animal, my 'attack' is violent, but I don't hate the animal or have any bad feelings toward it (quite the opposite). I believe the same is true for bears. A bear will rip your guts out and stomp on you, but it's not because it doesn't like you, it is just defending itself or trying to get food. I would still spray it or shoot it (depending on circumstances), but there does not need to be any viciousness on either side. Bears are not bad, they are just bears. People can be bad, but they are not bad because they defend themselves or kill their food.

I am an NRA member, I just don't like the recent "Us vs Them" angle on everything.

A "vicious" attack would have shredded the guy. This was just a warning from the bear.

Last edited:
What is interesting is how many victims have no animosity against the bear. It actually seems to be the norm these days.

What is interesting is how many victims have no animosity against the bear. It actually seems to be the norm these days.

I've noticed that as well. I've heard Rinella talk that if he was ever scratched up he would tell them a wrong area just to make sure the bear didn't have to pay for his actions.

I'm not even sure that would be necessary at this point.

It is the style of many forum members to make the NRA look evil. I guess they have that in common with the lefties.

The "leftie, commie, libtard, snowflake, etc." BS on here has reached hilarity.
Most of the people on here that have been called one of these dipshit labels are most likely moderate to even "right" leaning dudes (and women:eek:). Maybe, they just don't subscribe to the right of right that many of those that like to use those terms do.
Lotta Western libtards would most likely be viewed as radical redneck wingnuts "back east".
For &^%$ sake, widen your perceptions a tiny bit.
We're all (98.5%) on this forum because we're hunters - use guns to kill stuff and such.......
Think I'll take my 16 gauge and my dog, jump in my old truck, get it all muddy up in the Gravelly Mountains, shoot some birds and eat their carcasses.
And if I see a wolf threatening my dog, I'll shoot it.......

I don't know if I am getting my idea across. My point is that a bear attack is violent, but the word vicious, to me, implies some evil intent. Just as when I shoot an animal, my 'attack' is violent, but I don't hate the animal or have any bad feelings toward it (quite the opposite). I believe the same is true for bears. A bear will rip your guts out and stomp on you, but it's not because it doesn't like you, it is just defending itself or trying to get food. I would still spray it or shoot it (depending on circumstances), but there does not need to be any viciousness on either side. Bears are not bad, they are just bears. People can be bad, but they are not bad because they defend themselves or kill their food.

I am an NRA member, I just don't like the recent "Us vs Them" angle on everything.

I see your point. I suppose by that definition, no animal could be called "vicious" because they are just doing what they do.

On the other hand, I'm not going to get too alarmed by one adjective. If they start running stories about how all bears need to be exterminated for the safety of mankind, I may change my stance. But take a look at all of those old illustrated Outdoor Life covers. Many involved a bear or wolf with blood dripping off its teeth while it attacked a man armed with only a knife or something. I think it's just what magazines do. Instead of jumping to conclusions, I'll hold off for the time being.

The "leftie, commie, libtard, snowflake, etc." BS on here has reached hilarity.
Most of the people on here that have been called one of these dipshit labels are most likely moderate to even "right" leaning dudes (and women:eek:). Maybe, they just don't subscribe to the right of right that many of those that like to use those terms do.
Lotta Western libtards would most likely be viewed as radical redneck wingnuts "back east".
For &^%$ sake, widen your perceptions a tiny bit.
We're all (98.5%) on this forum because we're hunters - use guns to kill stuff and such.......
Think I'll take my 16 gauge and my dog, jump in my old truck, get it all muddy up in the Gravelly Mountains, shoot some birds and eat their carcasses.
And if I see a wolf threatening my dog, I'll shoot it.......

Bashing the NRA has long been a favorite pastime of HT members. Like I said, they have that in common with the left. I think it's safe to say without such an organization, wouldn't have been able to carry my glock side arm while bow hunting today, and I wouldn't be able to take my Beretta auto goose hunting in two weeks, and I appreciate both.

Bashing the NRA has long been a favorite pastime of HT members. Like I said, they have that in common with the left. I think it's safe to say without such an organization, wouldn't have been able to carry my glock side arm while bow hunting today, and I wouldn't be able to take my Beretta auto goose hunting in two weeks, and I appreciate both.

Agreed Belly Deep.

It's because a lot of times the NRA was stuck their noses into Montana wildlife management issues. Something they have no business messing with.

It depends on what the meaning of is is

vi·cious
ˈviSHəs/Submit
adjective
deliberately cruel or violent.
"a vicious assault"
synonyms: brutal, ferocious, savage, violent, dangerous, ruthless, remorseless, merciless, heartless, callous, cruel, harsh, cold-blooded, inhuman, fierce, barbarous, barbaric, brutish, bloodthirsty, fiendish, sadistic, monstrous, murderous, homicidal;

I guess is depends on which synonym you choose to apply as the meaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back