Threat or warning?

Elkmagnet

I had to laugh at this scar tactic.
If livestock are gone ranchers will be compelled to compete for your jobs and we will get more than our share because we know how to work. Yes, we will compete with bankers, salesmen, lawyers, health providers, and even university professors, as not all ranchers are stupid.
At least he says grazing fees are too low.
Thanks to the public lands council and Owyhee county for promoting this wonderful piece of literature.

http://idahostatejournal.com/opinio...cle_f5881123-e136-5f04-8c5b-06a869515b57.html

Ken Andrus was a representative in eastern Idaho until 2016 he is from Utah and attended BYU.

Looks like the man is also a veteran and raised 8 children. https://legislature.idaho.gov/legislators/membership/2016/id2/

Won his district overwhelmingly the last few elections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Andrus

Is your issue with Utah, BYU or should you be looking closer to home and talking to your fellow Idahoans before the next election?

He makes some good points that grazing and water development can and has improved landscapes. Ranchers and farmers are close to the land and my experience is the vast majority respect and understand good management. This example just happens to be in Utah and tied to those same people tied to BYU. https://holisticmanagement.org/holi...ase-studies-the-deseret-land-livestock-ranch/

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF does raising 8 kids and being a veteran have to do with the article? What does it have to do with grazing, public lands, and management of same?

Answer: Nothing.

Worthless article that does nothing to help anything....waste of time.

He's not serious about trying to work on viable solutions to the many problems and challenges that are related to all those things he brought out in the articles. Instead, he ignores the problems, doesn't own any of the over-grazing, riparian damage, etc. that happens all the time.

No question that if done right, with timing, intensity, duration, keeping livestock moving, etc. grazing can have minimal impacts depending on habitat type. Grazing can even be an asset to improve range conditions, the science proves that it can be done.

The problem is, many times its not.

I also don't even mind the extreme, and ridiculously low price being paid for grazing fees...IF, and that's a big IF, its done correctly. Again, the problem is, many times its not.

If public lands grazing ended tomorrow, the impact to the over-all livestock industry nation wide would be minimal.

He grossly over-played his hand...and nobody is buying the BS he's selling.

My favorite Ken Andrus story involves him thwarting a little girl's attempt to make a salamander the official state amphibian because he remembers how gross he thought they were when he was a kid.

Regardless of views on these issues, it would take an hour to correct all of his basic mis-statements about the ag/food supply chain. Since he apparently doesn't take facts seriously, I don't feel compelled to take him seriously. As for the jobs comment, what a laugh - the total number of ranchers is a rounding error in the US labor pool.

Looks like the man is also a veteran and raised 8 children. https://legislature.idaho.gov/legislators/membership/2016/id2/

Won his district overwhelmingly the last few elections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Andrus

Is your issue with Utah, BYU or should you be looking closer to home and talking to your fellow Idahoans before the next election?

He makes some good points that grazing and water development can and has improved landscapes. Ranchers and farmers are close to the land and my experience is the vast majority respect and understand good management. This example just happens to be in Utah and tied to those same people tied to BYU. https://holisticmanagement.org/holi...ase-studies-the-deseret-land-livestock-ranch/

Hey DD, seeing as how you're asking questions, maybe go back a few threads and answer some which were asked of you;):hump:

If Elkmagnet wants to brand people with his bias then it's fair to take full measure of the man he's targeted. I respect those who have served our country, raised family and obviously the good people of Idaho supported him for years.

I do agree with Buzz the article rants on about irrelevant and pompous statements.

PM sent. Bite or beer if you get to SLC. Troy Rushton

WTF does Utah and BYU have to do with it? Nothing.

I also stated he was a representative in Idaho until 2016. It's called background info. For people who were not aware of who he is and why his opinion is at all relevant. Get defensive much?
It's really easy to be elected in Idaho if you are a Republican who runs unopposed in every primary. What are we going to do elect a Democrat?

He is always quoting numbers as "livestock industry" well he tries to make it sound as though public land ranching and the "livestock industry" are the same and they are not. In Idaho the dairy industry produces $3 billion worth of milk a year and supports over 23,000 jobs.
Almost 2x that of the idaho beef industry and that is including feed lots and slaughtered dairy cows.
Yet Ken likes to talk as if his numbers are relevant to public land grazing.
So in review $3 billion of the $4.3 billion he quoted is from dairy milk production.
23,000 of the 39,000 jobs are from milk production.
But as the former chair of the Idaho state ag committee he knows what he is doing.

So what's this about?

He is using utah math to prop up public land ranching. He is from Utah and a rancher. Get the joke now?
I figured byu should get some credit for educating this future banking tycoon.

Ken likes to talk as if his numbers are relevant to public land grazing.
So in review $3 billion of the $4.3 billion he quoted is from dairy milk production.
23,000 of the 39,000 jobs are from milk production.

My goodness I would gladly trade him jobs. I would love to drive around all day in my King Ranch and look at my spread.................

He is using utah math to prop up public land ranching. He is from Utah and a rancher. Get the joke now?
I figured byu should get some credit for educating this future banking tycoon.

You do realize HuntTalk has an edit feature so you can clarify your posts rather than add something irrelevant, random and biased three minutes after your first post?

Back to subject. He makes valid points about land management but his commentary isn't relevant.

PS PM if you want to discuss what exactly Utah math is. Born in Utah but lived most of his life in Idaho so I'd say he's Idahoan.

PS PM if you want to discuss what exactly Utah math is. Born in Utah but lived most of his life in Idaho so I'd say he's Idahoan.
I'm glad neither one of us wants to claim him.
Maybe I need sensitivity training or maybe you need desensitization?
I recommend starting by rubbing a feather lightly across the underside of your arm you can progress over the next few weeks to soft silks then perhaps a Q-tip overtime you'll develop a tolerance to normal human touch.
No need for a pm I have no problems with public displays of affection.

I wonder who wrote this for Ken. It reads like a bad college paper with a few googled numbers but no understanding of the overall topic.

Preach Buzz!! The problem we have in our area with respect to the ranchers using the programs for grazing on public land isn't limited to the actual impact on the vegetation (which actually seems to be reasonable). The real problem is that these ranchers, who are getting bargain feed for their cattle, start viewing the land as "theirs" and acting accordingly. This becomes even worse when you add in the fact that ALL of the ranches around the area I hunt have outfitting businesses making them $$$$$$(most getting a big chunk of that using RFW guaranteed tags). They have harassed and interfered with hunters whenever given a chance and gone so far as to herd elk form public to private where they then use ranch hand "patrols" to keep them there. This manifested last year when one of the ranchers ran a herd of about 200 head from a portion of his land back out onto public land and straight up the middle of a large park that has been very productive for game over the years on the second day of 2nd season. He then proceeded to run them straight through a guys camp down the valley from our camp. I happened to be back in camp grabbing lunch and got to my phone just in time to snap a pic of the tail end of the herd exiting the guys camp. I took the info to CPW and the Officer for the area was great about addressing the issue as well as forwarding it to the USFS in regards to this ranchers actions in relation to his grazing permits. Sorry for the mini rant but this stuff is a hot button for me.
WTF does raising 8 kids and being a veteran have to do with the article? What does it have to do with grazing, public lands, and management of same?

Answer: Nothing.

Worthless article that does nothing to help anything....waste of time.

He's not serious about trying to work on viable solutions to the many problems and challenges that are related to all those things he brought out in the articles. Instead, he ignores the problems, doesn't own any of the over-grazing, riparian damage, etc. that happens all the time.

No question that if done right, with timing, intensity, duration, keeping livestock moving, etc. grazing can have minimal impacts depending on habitat type. Grazing can even be an asset to improve range conditions, the science proves that it can be done.

The problem is, many times its not.

I also don't even mind the extreme, and ridiculously low price being paid for grazing fees...IF, and that's a big IF, its done correctly. Again, the problem is, many times its not.

If public lands grazing ended tomorrow, the impact to the over-all livestock industry nation wide would be minimal.

He grossly over-played his hand...and nobody is buying the BS he's selling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back