CO Bighorn unit 21 Ewe hunt

handymom

Can anyone help me out? I have a ewe tag, and this will be my one and only chance to hunt Bighorn sheep in my life. My tag is for the western half of unit 21. I got conflicting information from the biologist and the division wildlife officer. They sent me to opposite ends of the unit. Where I scouted, Yankee Boy Basin/Mt Sneffels, I turned up nothing. I am solo hunting and this is a tough wilderness area with limited access. Any info on ewe/lamb flocks is greatly appreciated. I am thinking Deep Creek outside Telluride. Feel free to PM. I am a DIY kind of woman, and usually rise to the occasion, but this is freaking me out as I leave Friday for my hunt and could not find them while scouting!

I'd look for them high in avalanche chutes that are overgrown with willows 7-10 ft high. Have to sit and glass them out, maybe for six or seven hours. When you find them they're may be a few yearling rams still with them. There are lots of springs and small tarns holding water in the willows that are hard to see. If its still green or starting to color up sheep will still be there until freeze up dries up the leaves. FWIW. GJ

Can anyone help me out? I have a ewe tag, and this will be my one and only chance to hunt Bighorn sheep in my life. My tag is for the western half of unit 21. I got conflicting information from the biologist and the division wildlife officer. They sent me to opposite ends of the unit. Where I scouted, Yankee Boy Basin/Mt Sneffels, I turned up nothing. I am solo hunting and this is a tough wilderness area with limited access. Any info on ewe/lamb flocks is greatly appreciated. I am thinking Deep Creek outside Telluride. Feel free to PM. I am a DIY kind of woman, and usually rise to the occasion, but this is freaking me out as I leave Friday for my hunt and could not find them while scouting!

How did you do? My wife has the same tag and we are making a last weekend effort to locate ewes. Did you end up hunting Telluride?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier or I could have helped you. Any luck?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back