Area 324 - Montana Elk

The numbers FWP uses for hunters and hunter success is based on the phone harvest survey not strictly permits and licenses issued.

Last edited:
I suspect that you're wrong. The numbers of hunters aren't calculated based on what they see at a check station, it's based upon the number of licenses and permits for that area. The guy said that it's been a decade since he hunted there, using a just a little common sense it's fairly easy to come to the conclusion that a guy who lives in Alaska, who hasn't been in the area for at least 10 years, and who probably only spent a few days in the area when he was there 10 years ago, would have next to no idea whatsoever what it's like right now.

I don't know why you want to start using rude innuendos, I simply said I don't see how the area could be so crowded considering the size of it and the number of legal hunters. After a few comments I'm getting the idea though, if everybody assumes that you can't hunt elk in the flat lands then I can see how the hunters are all going to the same access points.

I wasn't trying to be rude. For some reason my smartass sense of humor tends to come out in my posts sometimes. I would say FWP has pretty poor statistics...no matter how they attain them.

That is way different country up there where he hunts at. Its 90% regrowth timber on steep slopes/broken terrain, with limited openings on a few south facing slopes and private valley bottoms. Down in Blacktail/Dillon you can see for 10 miles. Up to the north you are mostly hunting in the timber, or small openings. I've only hunted the Snowcrest/Gravelly range once about 15 years ago, and have been hunting Northwest of there for four seasons now; so my opinion may not be entirely correct. Back then I was seeing more elk in the Snowcrest.

For those that feel that sage country isn't huntable read this guy's story of his bow hunt.

You still haven't answered the question above...have you hunted here before? Some of us have and tried to answer the OPs questions. You've given some bad advice regarding this unit. You make it sound like we are lazy and not hunting deep enough. We ran into 3 different groups of guys 5-6 miles from the nearest road. It was even more crowded closer. Not everything you read on the internet is true.

One more whack at the carcass....

Any elk out in the sage in this unit is very quickly exploited by the many, many rd hunters....but I hope lots of people switch over to this under utilized portion of the unit.

Looking at the weather for the next week this is all moot anyway. Hunting in winds 20+ with gusts in the 30-40 range is just good ole fashioned fun.

Last edited:
We were down there Sept. 8th and 9th. Did not hike in very deep, but were surrounded by hunters and campers. I suspect you could find a little solitude in the Snowcrests, but it will take some hiking. I will hunt this unit again, but will be backpack hunting on foot for a week or more. No other way to scout the area. The Gravelly's, well that's a whole different story from my experience. Way more roads up there it seems. I was in the Gravelly side a little this summer, lots of elk in there, but didn't spot so many in the Snowcrests. That's all I got for now!

For those that feel that sage country isn't huntable read this guy's story of his bow hunt.

Ok so if sage brush appears in a photo the bull is deemed "killed in sage country." Got it.

All seriousness aside, if you read the story it sounds like the bull was killed near the edge of the timber. Which is a whole different kettle of fish than killing a bull miles from any conifers.

I'm guessing you have no idea what 324 actually looks like and have never been there before. But that's just a hunch....

I know 324 very well. I know how to hunt sagebrush elk. You won't find them during archery season in 324.

It is a crowded unit. There are elk. I feel I know how to hunt pretty smart, and pretty hard for that matter. I would suggest you put boots on the ground in that unit, as it may alter you perception.

Interesting comment since, according to the Montana FWP, the numbers work out to be an average of 172.5 acres per hunter for 324 which means that 324 has about 13 times more acreage per hunter than where I hunt and I rarely see any other hunter when I'm out hunting. I guess it depends upon where in the hunt area you concentrate your efforts, if you stick to the easy terrain you'll see a lot more hunters.

With all due respect, your answer smacks of condescension. I honestly think it may be easier to get away from other hunters in the Gravellies than the Snowcrest.

I guess living in Alaska gives you access to better information?

Have you ever been surveyed by FWP? I've been called probably 5-6 times, they ask you what unit you hunted elk (or deer), the most. Since you can hunt 3/4 the state on an OTC tag, how do you think they come up with accurate hunter numbers per unit? Are the totals per season, or week? Their hunter numbers are no closer than their game population numbers.

Really the only information a guy needs is boots on the ground. How did we make it before FWP had a fancy website?

I know this is a little late but since I live in the area, I have been hunting 325/324... been out about 9 time for bow and seen only 2 bull elk. I hit up the antone and sawmill area during the snow and I have had a rough go. I have put a lot of miles on the ground as well. but there is about 500 head now on the pivots/hay fields around dilon. very discouraging to see all them elk and find zilch in the mountains. hopefully rifle will turn out better but as usual peole everywhere but that's the problem on public land.

The elk on the Dillon fields didn't come from 324....the 250 head on Turners on the Ruby did though

Didn't all those elk in the fields south of Dillon come from the old blacktail ridge herd?

I will ecoho what phutch30 mentioned. When my son and I drove the Ruby River road (moose hunt), we saw about 200+ head of elk on Turner's Ranch. Made me wonder if the elk have come down early due to the weather (snow/rain) and archery hunting pressure in the Gravallies and Snowcrests.

I am guessing it's pretty much its own resident herd on Turners ranch. There can be quite a few elk on the south end of the Snowcrests in archery season, but they do get pressured and rattled around a bit.

Montana statistics and hunters number statistics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When you can hunt 7/8 of the state for over 3 months there's no way you can get an accurate picture! The hunter surveys are also a joke, as I've hunted Montana every year since 1994 and I've been called 7 of the last 23 years!

The only way to know what pressure will be like is boots on the ground. With unlimited licenses and the obscene amount of non resident combo and solo elk licenses every unit with good elk country is crowded! There is still elk to be had on public land but the problem of elk going to these huge ranches/game preserves with any pressure is very real, and it's only going to get worse! Until Montana makes you choose a weapon, choose a region and limit numbers, or some create some sort of management plan like every other state in the west has prepare for countless road hunters, tons of camps, lots of real hunters, to many outfitters, and some of the most scenic country on earth!

never said they did, just talked about how discoursing it was to dry by all those elk and see nothing in the mountains.

Didn't all those elk in the fields south of Dillon come from the old blacktail ridge herd?

Yup They still do. But the blacktails arnt in unit 324. The elk on the Dillon fields don't come from the snowcrest or Gravellys this time of yr....may be splitting hairs but just wanted to clarify.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back