Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alright guys.

I'm sold on the phone. Between the upgrade credit, phone credit and my shrewd ability to reduce verizon salesmen to puddles of goo, I think I can get a 6 for a decent price.

Thanks for walking me through this, and for the great info on which apps to try.
    A lesson was learned to not mix together silver bullets and a forum site.
    Fowl_Minded

Biggest screen and max memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lamb View Post
    Understood that the map files are large, but can't be much larger than the greatest hits of Dean Martin or the 140 other albums I have on my phone. Talk to me about battery life on the phone w/ the maps. I have a portable battery that would be good for 8-10 recharges. I figure that's plenty for 3-4 days at a time.
    I'm all about redundancy/paranoia. Have my phone with two different options running and carry my Garmin with a chip as backup.

The size of the map files hasn't ever been my problem. I run into issues with being able to easily download the whole area I have in mind at the zoom level I want, more often than anything else. The new OnX update was a major improvement but still has some frustrating quirks.

I tend to rely on Backcountry Navigator Pro. Easier downloads, though there are less of the fancy layers than OnX. Also lets me import waypoints from Google Earth, Garmin, or any other system. I still can't do that with OnX.

That said, I've had both apps freak out on me before and reverted to the Garmin, so if I was making one choice, I'd probably still go that route. Though those chips are an expensive pain.
    Cheers!

Jeff Quigley

Put your phone on airplane mode for extended battery life, same with turning down your screen brightness. And even if you don't download maps ahead of time, there's usually enough info on the basemaps to get you by.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Maybe the gps units have improved, but my iPhone with the OnXmap is an order of magnitude better than my old gps. The screen resolution and the - options (like Avensa and ski-tracks) are really nice. The issue with the iPhone is battery life - especially when it is cold - so bring a backup battery. They also can't get wet so I put it in a ziplock. I also carry a gps backup as maps are worthless in a whiteout unless you want to start a fire.

The latest OnXmaps allows you to download sections 150 miles on a side, and they have usable resolution. Since they cover so much area you can download them in advance and cover most of the state. You can download higher resolution maps in areas you are interested in.

Ben,
    Here is where I am at on this discussion. I have been using the new app for the past few weeks now and have been wondering if it will replace my GPS. The simple asnwer is YES. Here's the thoughts:
    1. Accuracy is not as pinpoint as my Oregon 600 vs my Samsung S7, but its with 10 feet. That's good enough for me.
    2. Battery life on the phone while using the app has been great. I could probably get a few days out of it, all day use and I'm down to 70%.
    3. They app features are easier to use and more rich than they Oregon. Now with the ability to turn layers off when in offline mode, I am very happy.
    4. You do have to remember to download maps before you leave service, but i would think all of us are e scouting anyway, so thats not too big a deal.
    5. My hunting buddies and I are at the point where we think we will sell our gps and chips we have. For $100/yr, I can get all the current chip info, which works out better in the long run if you hunt 3-5 states like us, and upgrade every 5 years or so your gps.
    6. The best thing that sold me on this was to put my gps in my pack as back up and then exclusivley use the app. I never once needed the gps.
    7. The sync of apps between app and webbased is great. now they just need to be able to share waypoints via nfc.
    8. Get the biggest screen phone you can. so worth it.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Quote Originally Posted by 406LIFE View Post
    8. Get the biggest screen phone you can. so worth it.
    Has anyone tried a small tablet? Something like an iPad mini. The bigger screen would be nice. I assume the wifi-only ones would lack the gps functionality so they wouldn't work, but the ones with cellular support in theory should work. Am on to something or just on something?

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    Has anyone tried a small tablet? Something like an iPad mini. The bigger screen would be nice. I assume the wifi-only ones would lack the gps functionality so they wouldn't work, but the ones with cellular support in theory should work. Am on to something or just on something?
    We use our tablets in the truck. But the idea was to have one piece of gear doing multiple jobs (gps, camera, etc.) I don't think I would pack one in with me.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

Quote Originally Posted by 406LIFE View Post
    We use our tablets in the truck. But the idea was to have one piece of gear doing multiple jobs (gps, camera, etc.) I don't think I would pack one in with me.
    If you aren't using cellular dial service, because of no service in the area or airplane mode to save battery, then an ipad mini is just an iphone with a big screen. It has camera, gps, map apps, etc. Obviously if you are needing phone service also, it wouldn't help. I might go normal iphone as phone/camera + backup GPS and then ipad mini as big primary GPS where in the past I would have gone iphone as phone/camera and dedicated GPS as GPS or iphone as phone/camera/gps and dedicated gps as a backup. It means I still have two devices, but I am a big fan of backup tools so I would go with 2 items either way. I guess the trade off is a few extra ounces for ipad mini vs small/slow screen of dedicated gps.

Alright guys.

I'm sold on the phone. Between the upgrade credit, phone credit and my shrewd ability to reduce verizon salesmen to puddles of goo, I think I can get a 6 for a decent price.

Thanks for walking me through this, and for the great info on which apps to try.
    Ben
    Are you talking about an Iphone 6 or a Galaxy? I personally have an Iphone, because that is all my work will distribute, and the new version of the app works great. The battery life on my android was WAY better than either Iphone I have owned. To the extent, I still have my old Andriod laying around will use it with OnX this fall while hunting. Smart phone batteries struggle in the cold, but iphone seem to be much worse than the android products.

Quote Originally Posted by utahminer View Post
    Ben
    Are you talking about an Iphone 6 or a Galaxy? I personally have an Iphone, because that is all my work will distribute, and the new version of the app works great. The battery life on my android was WAY better than either Iphone I have owned. To the extent, I still have my old Andriod laying around will use it with OnX this fall while hunting. Smart phone batteries struggle in the cold, but iphone seem to be much worse than the android products.
    Was thinking the iphone 6. Mostly because I've had the iphone for the last 6 or 7 years and am familiar with the platform.
    Fowl_Minded

Was thinking the iphone 6. Mostly because I've had the iphone for the last 6 or 7 years and am familiar with the platform.
    To each their own, but seriously consider trying an Andriod device. I personally like the LGs because you can replace the battery and upgrade the memory easily. The battery life is better, the cameras are better, phone signal is audial better and you are not as "locked in" on what the platform will do. They operate in a very similar manner today. I switched in about 3 yrs ago to a droid and was really annoyed when my new company made me switch back to an apple.

To each their own, but seriously consider trying an Andriod device. I personally like the LGs because you can replace the battery and upgrade the memory easily. The battery life is better, the cameras are better, phone signal is audial better and you are not as "locked in" on what the platform will do. They operate in a very similar manner today. I switched in about 3 yrs ago to a droid and was really annoyed when my new company made me switch back to an apple.
    I am not an apple fanboy, just more of a lazy tech learner. I'll take a look at the Android. Thanks for the tip!
    Fowl_Minded

You might take a look at the Samsungs for their water resistance/proofness. My hesitation to just roll with the phone is being afraid to use it in bad weather.
    "Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map" - Aldo Leopold

"Send a couple more slugs. It shows you care." - David Petzal

Quote Originally Posted by Jwill View Post
    You might take a look at the Samsungs for their water resistance/proofness. My hesitation to just roll with the phone is being afraid to use it in bad weather.
    Not fan-boying, both are good platforms, but just to add info to the discussion, the most recent iphones are water resistant as well.

On my recent hunt I tried out the cellphone with the onxmaps app. I put my iPhone 6 on airplane mode with low screen brightness, like everyone says to do, turned on the Onxmaps app... my battery life drained FAST! 5-6min. of use and my battery charge dropped 35%. There is no way i could use this setup alone for a full day of hunting. The app worked great, but battery usage sucked. (maybe someone has more tricks to conserving battery life)

I now carry my Garmin 64st as a primary and will only use the cell phone as a backup or for more detailed info.
    Joshua 24:15

Not fan-boying, both are good platforms, but just to add info to the discussion, the most recent iphones are water resistant as well.
    I noticed that. Also - no headphone jack on the new iphones either, which seems like a blessing & a curse depending on your desire to be bluetooth only.

Some days, I miss that old flip phone.
    Fowl_Minded

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider13 View Post
    On my recent hunt I tried out the cellphone with the onxmaps app. I put my iPhone 6 on airplane mode with low screen brightness, like everyone says to do, turned on the Onxmaps app... my battery life drained FAST! 5-6min. of use and my battery charge dropped 35%. There is no way i could use this setup alone for a full day of hunting. The app worked great, but battery usage sucked. (maybe someone has more tricks to conserving battery life)

I now carry my Garmin 64st as a primary and will only use the cell phone as a backup or for more detailed info.
    How old is your phone? Sound like your battery needs replaced.

I use an iphone5, airplane mode, full bright, tracking on, and battery lasts one full day.

How old is your phone? Sound like your battery needs replaced.
    My phones not that old, year or so maybe. It holds a charge for two days under normal use. OnX just seems to drain it. I'll take the battery replacement under advisement though.
    Joshua 24:15

My phones not that old, year or so maybe. It holds a charge for two days under normal use. OnX just seems to drain it. I'll take the battery replacement under advisement though.
    So we have one vote for "lasts one full day" and one vote for "5-6min" would be good to hear what type of battery life others are getting from onX on an iphone.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

I have an Iphone 7, because it is the only phone that our IT department will work with, and it doesnt seem to me that bad (still not as good an the two year old LG G3 I had before). My Iphone 5 died very quicklyif it was cold. This will be my first season with my 7, so I am interested in seeing how the battery reacts. I should have asked what the temperature was, when your phone died so quickly. I had to keep my 5 in a pocket with a hand warmer. If it got cold it would die instantly, but if warmed up it would turn back on with a decrease in battery life.

So we have one vote for "lasts one full day" and one vote for "5-6min" would be good to hear what type of battery life others are getting from onX on an iphone.
    My buddy uses it on his Iphone6 and battery will certainly last all day, probably 2.

I have zero use for a dedicated GPS unless I need a backup. Phone with charging pack or spare batteries is all I use. How much crap can a guy carry?
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

Quote Originally Posted by schmalts View Post
    I have zero use for a dedicated GPS unless I need a backup. Phone with charging pack or spare batteries is all I use. How much crap can a guy carry?
    GPS aside, for some of us gadget hounds if we aren't careful the answer is, "a lot".
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast