Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Smart Phone versus dedicated GPS

Ben Lamb

My trusty Iphone 5s is starting to give me fits. My old Garmin Etrex is also not being as trustworthy as it could be.

So what's the consensus from the tech gurus? Should I buy another GPS & get the phone, or are the new apps just as good as the dedicated GPS? I'm not opposed to getting both, but having one unit seems to be a better option as the hills get taller and my legs get shorter.

Compass & map always.

My map reading skills are not as good as my bo-staff skills, so I want the crutch of the GPS. :)

Do you always hunt where there is cell service?
Cell service isn't needed to run the apps.

I say get a new phone AND a new GPS. I've started using my phone more however at $700 to replace I think they are still to0 fragile and have terrible battery life especially when running mapping apps. Of course getting a gps will require the purchase of a chip to get better topo and possibly ownership

Cell service isn't needed to run the apps.

I say get a new phone AND a new GPS. I've started using my phone more however at $700 to replace I think they are still to0 fragile and have terrible battery life especially when running mapping apps. Of course getting a gps will require the purchase of a chip to get better topo and possibly ownership

Understood, but don't you have to have your maps downloaded first?

You're gonna have a phone either way, so just get a phone and spend a small portion of the money you'd spend on a GPS on a subscription to your app of choice, a portable phone charger like a Goal Zero, and a tough phone case.

I've been using an iPhone 5s for 3 years now with Avenza. Yes I have to download my maps ahead of time. I do it prior to hunting season and am good to go for the year. Lot's of apps out there though in terms of options.

Phone almost always will work. You will have your maps downloaded most of the time and cell service is becoming more and more ubiquitous. I have both a GPS and a phone, but the last two seasons I have not used the GPS at all.

The Onx App is so much better for downloading maps. The entire app finally functions how you would want. Prior, it was a great concept that under-delivered at times. Now performance matches the concept.

I also really like the desktop and phone integration with onx. Easy to scout on the big screen and mark whatever you want, and all the way points are automatically on your phone.

Yup...depending on the app you should be able to cache offline maps for a sizeable area. If you were to bounce around a large area then you may need cell service or wifi to download more

Understood that the map files are large, but can't be much larger than the greatest hits of Dean Martin or the 140 other albums I have on my phone. Talk to me about battery life on the phone w/ the maps. I have a portable battery that would be good for 8-10 recharges. I figure that's plenty for 3-4 days at a time.

Phone almost always will work. You will have your maps downloaded most of the time and cell service is becoming more and more ubiquitous. I have both a GPS and a phone, but the last two seasons I have not used the GPS at all.

The Onx App is so much better for downloading maps. The entire app finally functions how you would want. Prior, it was a great concept that under-delivered at times. Now performance matches the concept.

I also really like the desktop and phone integration with onx. Easy to scout on the big screen and mark whatever you want, and all the way points are automatically on your phone.

Excellent info. I hadn't considered the interface between laptop & phone. Thanks Schuyler!

You're gonna have a phone either way, so just get a phone and spend a small portion of the money you'd spend on a GPS on a subscription to your app of choice, a portable phone charger like a Goal Zero, and a tough phone case.

I've been using an iPhone 5s for 3 years now with Avenza. Yes I have to download my maps ahead of time. I do it prior to hunting season and am good to go for the year. Lot's of apps out there though in terms of options.

Kinda where I think I'm headed. It's a phone, disguised as hunting gear. After the new dog & fancy shotgun, the missus is looking sidways at me, and greedily at a gently used Jag.

Understood that the map files are large, but can't be much larger than the greatest hits of Dean Martin or the 140 other albums I have on my phone. Talk to me about battery life on the phone w/ the maps. I have a portable battery that would be good for 8-10 recharges. I figure that's plenty for 3-4 days at a time.

As with most phones, the more you mess around with the apps the more battery use goes up. My phone craps out after a day of intermittent use, longer if I keep it on battery save mode and don't mess with the apps much. I put the phone on airplane mode always too. Having a jump pack/battery charger will help quite a bit.

SD cards are huge these days so you should be good to go if you don't over do it with the nostalgic tunes and Ted Cruz's top late night videos

"if you don't over do it with the nostalgic tunes and Ted Cruz's top late night videos "

Remember, this is Ben2 we're talking about here.

I guess the Root is lagging with cell coverage. Most of the places I go have no coverage. I can't drive to Darby without losing coverage at least once. I would also need to plan better at downloading maps.

I have my GPS in my pack in case of an emergency, but I have gone to using my phone with OnXMaps App. I also bought a phone case that has a solar panel and internal battery from www.snowlizardproducts.com. Not real impressed with the solar panel, but with the phone on airplane mode, the internal battery will run my Iphone 6 for an additional 3 days without charging. Solar panel is good in case of an emergency. I don't think I could go back to my gps that only has topo. Love the aerial photo and being able to walk right into a meadow, wallow, water source, etc.

I have both and the app/phone is way easier and better. I debate on whether I should even bring the GPS! Talk about a technology on its way out!

Why? User interface. The phone is so easy to zoom in/out, and the screen is so much better than my Garmin Oregon.

Put the phone in airplane mode, close all other apps, and go hunt.

I use OnX maps and it is slick.

1.) The Rat Pack is not nostalgia. They're minor dieties in a world of lesser villains.

2.) Ted Cruz's internet adult handle is Carlos Spicy Wiener, and I don't abide by those kinds of videos.

3.) Plus, I mean, c'mon. Screen size, yo.

Ben-
I went through this exact same thing last month. Broke the screen on my GPS on a scouting trip, and had heard nothing but horror stories about the App. I've been a GPS only guy for years. I talked to several buddies and decided to give the app. a try. I have really like it so far. You do have to be a bit more organized in front of the hunt and download your maps, but I've actually enjoyed that process. My saved maps are between 140 - 200 MB each, and MUCH higher quality than a GPS map, with the aerial image turned on. I went on a 3-day elk hunt for the archery opener...using my saved maps and airplane mode, I could get 2-days out of my I-phone5 with it on almost 100% of the time. If you have the ability to charge each night, you can easily run the phone all day in airplane mode and recharge at night. I'm still in testing/playing around mode with it, but at this point I don't foresee myself ever going back to the GPS. Its pretty slick to have it on with the aerial driving down the road with the block management layers, etc. turned on. The ability to have all the states for $80 is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Thumbs up from me so far.

Back