Muley Help

Majja

Ok I have not hunted Muleys for a very very long time. And I happened to draw a tag for the North Slope (ut) early hunt that runs parallel to my elk hunt (a good thing) I am getting to know this unit very well for elk, that is hwy I put in for the tag actually. When I am doing my desk scouting what kind of land do the deer mainly like. Last year I saw a few very nice bucks.

I would like a little better understanding of how bucks differ form elk , so that I do not waste some time in a dead zone just hoping.

Majja I'm not expert but love hunting Mule Deer and have some experience hunting them in Utah the last few years. My experience has been the Elk and Mule deer like a lot of the same habitat. I've had success hunting mule deer on side hills with plenty of browse and near recent burns. My go to strategy is find a side hill area with browse and water near by where you can get up high and have a good vantage point or sit near the bottom and watch them move across in the morning.

I had a great spot in the Manti area between their feeding and bedding area's and would wait for them to move between the two in the morning and we usually had success with this strategy. They liked to bed down under large pine trees in that area, some of these there not in groves but isolated large pines. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back