Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Home come Howa's don't get more love?

Well the rifles Randy carries seem to be accurate and easy to carry. Since he log's a lot of miles getting off the road those are important items. They have been a good sponsor and provide a efficient tool for the job. What's not to like?

Dan

So, I am kind of on the opposite end of the OP and wondering "how come they use Howa relative to everything else they use?"

Because Howa stepped up to the plate when he needed it. I'd be willing to wager some of the biggy Xeroxes have courted Fin and he told em no thanks.

Also, from a consumer standpoint, Matt and LSI are GREAT to work with and offer Vets a good deal too. Nothing but good to say about my experience with them.

All good reasons to be loyal to a brand. If I know someone in the market for that type of rifle I will push them to Howa instead of Savage or others.

Some people have kind of already said this but there really isn't anything special about a Howa rifle. They are in the "cheap" gun category and a lot of stores don't even carry them. I personally would never buy one because of the little features that they do not have (e.g. safety behind the bolt on the stock, short bolt throw, etc). Yes they will kill just as well as a more expensive rifle, but it kind of baffles me the same way the meateater crew is sponsored by Savage rifles. They use expensive high end gear in every other aspect, so why do they use a "cheap, plastic" rifle?

Randy and Steve also use time- and hunt-tested products that perform well, and those guys spend more time in the field than just about anybody out there. I really, sincerely doubt that they would waste time with anything that doesn't do what they ask of it every time, regardless of price. I can't speak for Savage, but Howas shoot surprisingly well. There's nothing real special about a lot of rifles that aren't "cheap" either, other than they are expensive and people like to brag about how much they paid.

I have 2 Howa's in the safe. Both in 7RM. One I bought when I was in AZ & thought, for what ever reason, I neeeeded it. The next, when my brother had to have some cash fast. Both shoot under MOA. Neither has seen one minute afield since I bought my Ruger M77 7/08.

Both Howa's are excellent rifles. just not what I need any more. If anyone want's either PM me.

But keeping with the jist of the OP, Howa is at the top of my list for a "must look at" before I make a buying decision.

Every rifle I own except my 30-30 and .17HMR are synthetics and they kill the ever lovin' shit out of animals :cool:

I agree. I also have never had a synthetic swell in wet weather as is the potential with a wood stock. I have used my rifle to steady myself wading fast streams and never worried the stock would swell. Wood looks fantastic and I have some in the safe from my youth. I would never trust them on a nasty weather hunt. I would also be bummed if got a 6" gash on the wood stock. That is not an issue with synthetic.

Initial trip to the range with a Alpine 6.5 man bun I picked up used on the classified.

6.5.jpg

As a side note the 2 stage trigger will take some getting use to along with the safety position.

Tjones, can you please stop bringing up man buns? I REALLY do hate them, it's like sandpaper on a blued barrel every time I see them or think of them. Thanks mate.

Well I was drinking a pumkin spice latte and wearing skinny jeans while shooting it also.

All required to own a 6.5.

Luke the dog, you kind of made my point for me when you said "howas shoot surprisingly well". If Howas are in the same league as the rest of Randy's equipment then why would it be a surprise? Again that is all I am saying. I am sure they shoot fine, fire every time, have great customer service, priced well etc and people like them just fine, but they are NOT in the same league as the rest of the gear. Am I really one of the few that think this? I am not trying to bash Howa at all, I just think that this may be why Howas don't get more love. If they can get grouped in the same lump as the higher end factory rifles then that will probably solve their lack of marketing as people will know who they are.

It's just the whole Japan thing for me too.

This is it.... Dollar General has a lot of products made in Japan too. Mentally its a bit of a hurdle for me.

Although, I may be picking one up before long. I am looking for a new .308 and well... over the last year I have become Newborn-ified... trying out a lot of products Randy uses. So maybe the marketing is working...

Last edited:
Luke the dog, you kind of made my point for me when you said "howas shoot surprisingly well". If Howas are in the same league as the rest of Randy's equipment then why would it be a surprise? Again that is all I am saying. I am sure they shoot fine, fire every time, have great customer service, priced well etc and people like them just fine, but they are NOT in the same league as the rest of the gear. Am I really one of the few that think this? I am not trying to bash Howa at all, I just think that this may be why Howas don't get more love. If they can get grouped in the same lump as the higher end factory rifles then that will probably solve their lack of marketing as people will know who they are.

I don't understand how a Howa Alpine Mtn Rifle isn't considered "in league with the rest of his gear?" A gun company producing a solid, accurate, relatively lightweight rifle that is willing to sponsor his show should and does get used and promoted as a great option for a rifle. I don't hear Randy or Howa bashing anyone else's rifles, only promoting their own.

It isn't like Randy is using a Savage Axis II, a Ruger American, or a Mossberg (all good entry level guns, BTW) and pretending they are the best build quality out there. You could probably say that since he uses Leopold optics instead of Nightforce it isn't "in league with the rest of his gear."

I really don't like the safety on the 1500... too easy for it to get brushed to the fire position, and if you carry it on your left shoulder it WILL happen when it rubs on your hip. Of all the safety designs I've had on guns, as old as 80 years, this is the only one that I've had switch to fire without my intent, and I can count on it happening most days I hunt.

It was shooting terrible - couple inches at 100 yds. I took it to a gunsmith and he couldn't find a "smoking gun" so to speak, but noticed the screws holding the stock on were 1/4 turn short of being torqued correctly, and same with the scope mounts (although he couldn't get the scope to move). Not sure what it was but he got it dialed in, especially considering the wind was gusting to 20 when I took these 6 shots.

IMG_0967.jpg

Nonetheless, the gunsmith had a very low opinion of the Hogue stock - if it flexes and pushes against the barrel it changes the point of impact. He said simple changes in environment like a bipod will change poi... I haven't verified.

Last edited:
Hey 375H&H....

If you don't like Howa, then don't get one. There's no point in coming on here whining and bitching and thinking you're going to change anyone's mind. I love my Howa. Maybe your old lady (or man) needs to grab you by the manbun and take you to bed and get you laid....? You need a hobby, dude...

The gear Randy uses works plain and simple. Some of it can get pricey for some and considered a drop in the bucket for others an example could be the clothes he wears. I think a guy could get a lot of money invested to cover themselves head to toe and including the different seasons. Using a Howa Alpine, well it's light weight, accurate and good in in any weather. So why not use it. Plus they are a great sponsor.

My Howa 1500 shoots sub MOA all day long, so why should I go and spend $1200 for a rifle that would do the same? Good price, good value, accuracy...what's not to like?

All good points gentleman!! This is a good discussion!! If it works why change it, I agree, and glad to see that marketing hype isn't the only thing driving decisions.

John Cushman, I didn't mind your response but why did you have to mention a man bun???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back