Home come Howa's don't get more love?

I have nothing against Howa rifles, I've shot 2 different ones but I've never owned one. They seem perfectly fine to me. I guess my point is that nothing about them particularly stands out to me. No different than a Remington, Savage, Ruger, etc.. in my mind. I've never seen one that I thought looked particularly nice. They fit well(for me) and shoot well, which is the important part. I showed one to my wife, who is looking for a new rifle, she didn't care for it. A lot of people(myself included at times) prefer to buy American made products. I do like the fact that they sell barreled actions, I think that's cool.

I had to go look at them on another site. That Hunter is a nice looking rifle! A brother bought two of them in 223 for him and his son years ago. But not big shooter's and I'd guess they've never shot them. I do vaguely recall seeing them and they were nice looking. They got them in a small gun shot just out of Redmond, Ore. The shop is gone now. Inexpensive enough, I'd get one just to see how they shoot! I think with most rifle's, they all shoot pretty well out of the box anymore gut a bit of bedding work has always seemed important to me. I have three rifle's I never bedded. An $800 mod 70 and two $300 Mossberg's, they shoot fine.

i am VERY much enjoying the feedback from this thread! thank you guys for the input. i can let you in on a few insider details to ease some of the concerns.
marketing- this has been a huge task of ours to inflate and its working quite well for us.

stores that carry product- we have increased our distributors a lot as well as big box stores that carry our product. dicks, cabelas, academy, sportmans warehouse, scheels, the list goes on and on.

rifle stocks- we have been making more and more models with higher end stocks, bell and carlson, HS precision, all of the new chassis setups and etc... its a balancing act with maintaining palatable price points. I have never minded Hogue stocks, some of the best groups ive shot with all of the Howas have been with hogue stocks and they are darned tough!

aftermarket support- no, this isnt a typical REM700 so aftermarket stuff is a bit harder to source but stocks, bottom metals, bases and etc... are commonly available online as well as retail. the list of parts is growing by the day, i do my part on making sure aftermarket companies have what they need to produce quality pieces for your builds. i too love a fresh rifle build!

we sell worldwide, america is a tough market but we deliver a quality product that you wont regret spending some hard earned dollars on.

i am VERY much enjoying the feedback from this thread! thank you guys for the input. i can let you in on a few insider details to ease some of the concerns.
marketing- this has been a huge task of ours to inflate and its working quite well for us.

stores that carry product- we have increased our distributors a lot as well as big box stores that carry our product. dicks, cabelas, academy, sportmans warehouse, scheels, the list goes on and on.

rifle stocks- we have been making more and more models with higher end stocks, bell and carlson, HS precision, all of the new chassis setups and etc... its a balancing act with maintaining palatable price points. I have never minded Hogue stocks, some of the best groups ive shot with all of the Howas have been with hogue stocks and they are darned tough!

aftermarket support- no, this isnt a typical REM700 so aftermarket stuff is a bit harder to source but stocks, bottom metals, bases and etc... are commonly available online as well as retail. the list of parts is growing by the day, i do my part on making sure aftermarket companies have what they need to produce quality pieces for your builds. i too love a fresh rifle build!

we sell worldwide, america is a tough market but we deliver a quality product that you wont regret spending some hard earned dollars on.

Hahaha I've been waiting for you to chime in Matt. This is like a free focus group for you!

Posted in the Howa thread also. How about long actions with a boltface for the RUMs and even the Lapua? mtmuley

I started with a Weatherby Vanguard SS. I had a gun smith mill the action face and bed the action in a Bell & Carlson Stock. I have done this with a 257 Weatherby and 300 WSM. Both guns are phenominal and can easily shoot 1/2 MOA. I plan on doing the same for my son with a 7mm-08 but I am having a hard time finding a SS vanguard in 7mm-08.

Matt since I'm the original poster here, I'll put in my request. I put the LSI detachable mag kit on mine. Can you come up with a flush or nearly-flush mag, even if its only a 3 shot capacity. That shouldn't be a high dollar request. I have the 5 shot and it can be uncomfortable to hold/carry sometimes. It just extends too far.

Matt since I'm the original poster here, I'll put in my request. I put the LSI detachable mag kit on mine. Can you come up with a flush or nearly-flush mag, even if its only a 3 shot capacity. That shouldn't be a high dollar request. I have the 5 shot and it can be uncomfortable to hold/carry sometimes. It just extends too far.

I agree and I don't even own a Howa. I simply don't care for the look of the "extended" mag.

I've got 2 Howas in the safe. Both shoot very well and both cost under $500 new. I don't have an issue with the Hogue stocks on either of them. They shoot sub MOA at 100 and don't print outside the vitals at 400. I have a hard time believing that a missed shot at an ethical distance can be blamed on a stock. I do agree that the rubberized Hogue isn't the best looking but my pretty guns don't hunt much anymore.

I've got 2 Howas in the safe. Both shoot very well and both cost under $500 new. I don't have an issue with the Hogue stocks on either of them. They shoot sub MOA at 100 and don't print outside the vitals at 400. I have a hard time believing that a missed shot at an ethical distance can be blamed on a stock. I do agree that the rubberized Hogue isn't the best looking but my pretty guns don't hunt much anymore.

And it gives you the extra benefit of a built in excuse if the hunter blows a shot - "damn plastic stock". I agree sub MOA plastic stocks kill just as well as the fancy ones.

No love for Howa's??? Here is a Weatherby Vanguard that I loved with 60+hours worth of my free time into a 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" Douglas barrel, claro walnut stock, and 20 lpi point checkering. My wifes neice wanted it built as a wedding gift to her future husband. Dude got a sweet rifle and a great girl. I really like building on Howa actions. Well made, simple, generally good triggers, and easy to inlet into a stock.

IMG_1916 small.jpg
IMG_1917 small.jpg

Thanks, all. When I got the blank for that stock, it didn't look like much. A little figure, but not much. Halfway through shaping, it finally started to come alive. In the sunlight you can see into the wood.

Just an example of a Howa based custom. Like I said, I like working with them. I usually have to do more work to a Remington or Winchester to get a good result.

Jeremy

There's a store close to where I live the carries howa. I looked at them before I bought my first rifle. I grew up with a grandfather that loved guns and all I ever seen or heard about was Winchester Remington or Marlins. So when the guy at the store was showing me this new gun first 2 things I noticed was the ugly green stock and how heavy it was. I didn't rule it out because it was in my price range of under $750. The gun was a 1500 in .308 and the only .308 they had in stock. I went to a couple other stores in town and one had a tikka and I had never heard of them before either. I liked how light it was and it was ss. I ended up with the tikka not because of marketing. I like the looks of it the weight and the price. I liked it so much after shooting it I bought another one in 300 win mag. Up until last year I had never been hunting out west and indiana wouldn't allow high powered rifles.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back