Home come Howa's don't get more love?

I have a Vanguard in .270 Win. Its a great gun, and the Weatherby stock fits great and looks great too. Like the 24" barrel. Since Tikka has been brought up, why not go whole hog and get a Sako? GJ

I just weighed mine. I thought it was closer to 7.5 pounds, it's actually 8.8 pounds scoped. So I might have over-stepped the light weight. I can see for the guys packing in that you want to cut weight. The 24 inch barrel adds a little too.

My Vanguard doesn't have the Hogue stock, but it's a "tupper-ware" stock none the less.

I bought mine (Weatherby Vanguard) at Cabelas, I guess they were phasing the out for the VG2's. I think they were selling for $359 if I remember correctly. It was in that range anyhow. I couldn't pass it up. Had they guy at the counter start bringing out the .308's they had in-stock and looking at the test targets found one that looked like a 3 leaf clover and told the guy thats the one I want. I have been very happy with it.

Just bought my 1st Howa...after breaking in barrel and shooting several different bullets to see what it liked...I can say it won't be my last!!!

People aren't familiar with them because they don't spend on marketing like the big companies folks are more familiar with do, and "My dad/granddad had a _____ (insert: Ruger, Browning, Remington, Winchester, Marlin, etc...)" carries a lot of weight with a sector of the population that leans heavily on tradition, it's hard to break into that sphere.

My most recently purchased rifle was a Howa, and after seeing how it performs, the next one probably will be too...

There are hunters and there are gun guys. And the two aren't always the same. Some hunters, not being gun guys, aren't familiar with the Howa brand. And as some have said, they aren't found in all stores. Once those hunters get their hands on one, if they haven't heard of Howa, they are skeptical of a Japanese rifle. So I think brand recognition is their biggest obstacle to overcome. Sponsoring Randy's show has helped the brand a lot in that respect I think. Also the weight of the standard rifle scares off some hunters, particularly those doing a lot of walking. I don't mind the weight, but my hunting is mostly stand hunting. Personally the Hogue stock is the only turn off for me, but I figure I can replace it with something better. But I wish I didn't have to.

FYI, you guys that have the issues with the Hogue stock can do what I did for the Hunting Princess (buy an action and do a build) and get a very nice rifle custom to you at a great price.....here is here rifle completed. (BTW, SA 1500 in HT-08)

Attachments

• 20170224_155842.jpg
    20170224_155842.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 760
I'll be hunting with Randy in November and he said he had a Howa I could borrow for the hunt. I didn't want to use a borrowed rifle, and had a buddy that wanted my Ruger 30-06, so I went ahead and bought a Howa 30-06 and sold the Ruger to my buddy. I am not at all disappointed with my decision. I got one with the Hogue stock and actually like it. The rifle shoots well and feels good in my shoulder. I got the package deal with the Nikko Sterling scope and it was priced less than my Ruger American combo was. Bobby wanted the scope, so I took the VX2 off of my .300 winmag and put it on the Howa. I like the rifle so much I may end up selling my Savage .300 winmag and getting a Howa. I honestly can't believe I got such a good rifle for such a low price.

I bought a Howa 25-06 about 10 years ago from a locally owned hunting store in Butte, MT. The owner of the store really talked it up. I'd never heard of Howa before that, but I sorta took a chance. I wound up being a gentleman and selling so I could buy my wife a rifle, but I remember being basically pleased with it. I'd definitely consider another Howa, but its true you just seldom see them around and that store where I bought the 25-06 has since gone under. I guess you just really have to looking for one if you want one.

I don't understand......If you take the stock out of the discussion, then do you have any issues with the action

There's a lot of actions out there. I've known of Howa's for years. Just not the first action I'd use for a build. I know there are great Japanese firearms, but that is another sticking point for me. Three strikes. mtmuley

Howa sells more than just their actions, its barelled actions which include everything except the stock.

My opinion: most of them are way too heavy and they could stand for a little makeover in the aesthetics dept. The Alpine Mountain Rifle has neither problem, but it's pretty expensive and has only really been marketed to the western crowd; a small part of the gun market. BTW, I think it's time they release a long-action version of that rifle...

I don't understand......If you take the stock out of the discussion, then do you have any issues with the action

Heavy and clubby either way.

I'd like slim, classic styled walnut stock or a fiberglass like on the Alpine. Hogues, after market laminates, and the like don't do it for me.

This is alittle of the gun topic and Iam sure howa's are decent shooting rifles. I was just wondering what you guys think. When a star nba player changes to a new brand of shoes is it because the shoe is that much better then every other shoe out there or is it because the contract money is better?

This is alittle of the gun topic and Iam sure howa's are decent shooting rifles. I was just wondering what you guys think. When a star nba player changes to a new brand of shoes is it because the shoe is that much better then every other shoe out there or is it because the contract money is better?

Basketball is lame.

Someone's beating around the bush to a real question....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back