PEAX Equipment

Home come Howa's don't get more love?

Howas are either 3 to 400 dollars or 8 to 900. The 1500, 3 to 400 dollar gun, when I show people, they complain that it is on the heavy side, which it is. They pick up a savage or ruger american and prefer that weight. Their alpine rifle is almost 900 and most guys if they are going to spend that will jump to a Browning X bolt, Bergera, Tikka, Kimber hunter, etc. Howa could compete well with Tikka if they could produce a light accurate rifle in the 5 to 600 dollar range. But, tikka is producing a highly functional stainless rifle for less than the Howa and the tikkas come with sakos awesome triggers and barrels.

My .30-06 is a Howa. It is my first, and so far only, hunting rifle. With the "cheap" scope it came packaged with I think I paid $450 about 4 years ago. The thing is dead on so far in all conditions. I might upgrade the scope one day, but for now it serves it purpose.

Marketing, weight, and lack of aftermarket parts/accessories are 3 reasons I can think of. I would have bought two from them by now, but the shelved their idea for LH rifles.

With the popularity of the Percision Rifle Series picking up, more aftermarket stocks and accessories are starting to pop up.

I'm pretty new to this forum and to be honest, I never heard much about Howa prior to joining here- whether through word of mouth, other forums or browsing what's on the shelf at sporting good stores.

I'm not a huge gun nut and don't need a fancy gun with aftermarket parts and trips to the gunsmith. I want an affordable, lightweight gun with a good trigger and action that shoots tight groups. Just mount a scope, sight in and go hunt. The Tikka I bought last year fit my needs perfectly. Sounds like Howa gets some love here though so I would be willing to check into them and compare prices with Tikka next time I'm in the market for a gun.

I think they are fantastic rifles, they seam to run just a bit on the heavy side. they have always been a sleeper as they are very accurate. Not as much aftermarket as Remington.

I went to Fleet Farm here in Minnesota and they had a handful of Howa Hogue1500 for 100 bucks off because they were clearancing out a gun range that closed that was owned by them. Before that I had never heard of them. This is the first rifle I have ever purchased but I love it.

The problem with Howa IMO is "made in Japan". That said I have never owned one and always give them a look when shopping but I personally cant get over that made in japan sicker. Just my personal nuance with the brand.

I purchased a Howa BA sight unseen (at least not in person) this summer. I was looking for a rifle that I could semi-customize for a price that was in *my* budget. Regardless of which rifle I was going to purchase, I knew I was going to immediately change the stock and didn't want another hunk of plastic/nylon in the basement with the others. The Howa allowed me to do this. My complete rifle ended up costing just over $1G, but I ended up spec'ing everything I wanted. Due to my work schedule and timing of having money to complete my rifle, I just purchased and installed the glass on top not long ago, and the big test will be when I start shooting it, but build-wise, I am extremely pleased with the results of my project. I also looked at browning, savage, tikka, and TC, but the Howa allowed me to complete my project for the least waste and get the most from my dollar. I guess it is a bit heavier than some of the others in class, but it also helps mitigate recoil, and it is solid... Action locks up tight and the machining is very well done. I will say it's comparably lightweight compared to my 12 gauge H&R ultra slug hunter that I carry in SE PA during our "rifle season". It may not be one of those brands that my grandfather and dad grew up with, but those brands sure seem to disappoint many of their customers these days- at least the price I am able to pay...

No love for Howa's??? Here is a Weatherby Vanguard that I loved with 60+hours worth of my free time into a 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" Douglas barrel, claro walnut stock, and 20 lpi point checkering. My wifes neice wanted it built as a wedding gift to her future husband. Dude got a sweet rifle and a great girl. I really like building on Howa actions. Well made, simple, generally good triggers, and easy to inlet into a stock.

View attachment 74089
View attachment 74090

Beautiful rifle but need to understand what it really is. It's a Howa with a Hart barrel, a Boyds stock and a Canjar trigger!

You're joking right? The stock on that rifle comes from a blank I had turned and semi-inlet by a top end stock turner. The rest is in the post. Not sure what you are getting at.

It's just an example of what a Howa action can be used for. Just like any Remington, Winchester or Mauser. Howas are a decently made Sako clone action that is easy to work with.

Jeremy

Some people have kind of already said this but there really isn't anything special about a Howa rifle. They are in the "cheap" gun category and a lot of stores don't even carry them. I personally would never buy one because of the little features that they do not have (e.g. safety behind the bolt on the stock, short bolt throw, etc). Yes they will kill just as well as a more expensive rifle, but it kind of baffles me the same way the meateater crew is sponsored by Savage rifles. They use expensive high end gear in every other aspect, so why do they use a "cheap, plastic" rifle?

Some people have kind of already said this but there really isn't anything special about a Howa rifle. They are in the "cheap" gun category and a lot of stores don't even carry them. I personally would never buy one because of the little features that they do not have (e.g. safety behind the bolt on the stock, short bolt throw, etc). Yes they will kill just as well as a more expensive rifle, but it kind of baffles me the same way the meateater crew is sponsored by Savage rifles. They use expensive high end gear in every other aspect, so why do they use a "cheap, plastic" rifle?
First it's probably money. Savage spends quite a bit on marketing. Second, remember that Rinella is left handed. No rifle manufacturers have been more accomodating to lefty's than Savage, IMO. Quite a few things found on Savage rifles are showing up on custom actions (barrel nuts, floating/interchangable bolt heads, etc). That other high end gear is more important to the success and comfort on the hunt than the make of rifle.

Good points and maybe not the best analogy but you get my drift.

However, Randy is not left handed nor do Howa's have most of those features found on Savage. All's I am saying is that I find myself scratching my head when every other piece of gear is toward the top end (Sitka, Gerber, Kenetrek, Orion, Mystery Ranch etc) and then a Howa rifle is what they go with (to me the rifle just barely edges out what brand wool I use for importance to success). Just odd to me is all and like I said above I fully understand that they kill just as well as a high end custom rifle. And my Costco brand merino wool seems to do just fine for keeping me warm...

So, I am kind of on the opposite end of the OP and wondering "how come they use Howa relative to everything else they use?"

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back