Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Northern Breaks elk suggestions

1_pointer

I have a permit for a unit on the north side of the Missouri/CMR (as a few of you know) and am having a bit of internal debate on a few things. First off, deals with time for and timing of the hunt. As it stands, I will be able to take 10 days off of work for this hunt; total time will depend on how many weekends I include in that. This hunt opens the same day as deer (which I also have a tag for) and cow elk. For folks with experience in this country, is it important to be there for the opener? The guy I drew with may not be going until the second week of November due to a new baby. Last bull tag I had it was strongly suggested that one be there for the opener, is that a case for this part of Montana?

Keep in mind it's going to take me two long days to get to the unit. If I am to be there for the opener, how advisable is it to show up a few days before and scout or would you just be ready to go the first day of the hunt? I have done some e-scouting and talked to more than a couple of folks familiar with the unit so I do have some idea of where I want to be. Just not sure if I should or need to burn a few days up scouting?

I have just a touch of familiarity with the type of country having hunted deer west of this unit more than a decade ago. On that trip a small snow shower that melted the next day give me a glimpse at what the gumbo can be like... :W: I have a UTV that I can trailer out with me. Is it worth it dragging that thing the 1300mi out for the benefit it would give? Aside from the gumbo, are the roads in this country as such that a UTV would open up options vs just a truck?

Thanks a bunch for any and all help!

Last edited:
I've drawn the breaks bull tag twice, and my brother drew once and we never hunted it opening day any of those times. Maybe should have, but between work, schedules, all that it just didn't work out.

I would think if you go early, I would have at least a couple days to poke around before hand to find out where the elk are and are not. The thing is, with all the archery pressure, I'm not really too sure how important it is to get there early. Then throw in all the deer and cow hunters...even if you were to find a bull prior, you have that to contend with.

As to the UTV...that's a good question. When it rains there, most of the roads turn into pig chit. But they also dry out pretty quickly as well. I would look at the weather prior to leaving and see what it looks like. Whatever you do, bring extra fuel out there, its a long way to run into town to get fuel. I took about 30 gallons out there, just in case and to avoid having to waste time driving back to town. Its tough to stay in one place, and getting from place to place out there can be a pretty long ride in a vehicle. The elk out there are here today gone tomorrow...due mostly to pressure, but also just that one area is not much different than another.

Never sucks to hunt that country, probably isn't really a wrong or right answer to any of your questions.

I wish I had something to contribute to your hunt other than just wishing you good luck, but I'm wishing you plenty of that. Hope you get a big 'un.

We got tags on the south side of the river and asked alot of questions . We came to the conclusion we are going over 3 days before season starts scout and try and find one we like and get him opening morning. Then if that doesn't work hunt for most of the week and come back later in season granted our drive isn't as far as yours. Good luck and congrats on the tag

The only benefit to hunting opening day is you have a particular bull scouted. Other than that later in season is maybe cooler, less people which is a big plus imo. Not sure which units you have but the central north breaks a wheeler may be less useful than on either end. We can only pray that we have mud during season, it would be a nice change from dust

Thanks for the info guys! Any others chiming in would be welcome!

Right now my, very tentative, plans are to be there for the opener and spend the time hunting. Still thinking a bit on the UTV, but at this point thinking it may stay home. Just not sure the payoff is worth the 1300+mi one way tow...

I'd go late after they close the CMR down to mule deer hunting. It gets a lot quieter and I always prefer to hunt when it's colder out. I think the lack of rain out there has really changed where the elk are spending time right now; at least that was my experience over the past couple days.

Bulldog. Are you seeing them down by the lake/river more? I'm headed over there Saturday after the rain goes through. I hate the riverbottom hunting, but was wondering how much this drought was affecting them.

Thanks for the info guys! Any others chiming in would be welcome!

Right now my, very tentative, plans are to be there for the opener and spend the time hunting. Still thinking a bit on the UTV, but at this point thinking it may stay home. Just not sure the payoff is worth the 1300+mi one way tow...

On a tag like that I wouldn't even hesitate. I would bring everything you have that may help. I made the mistake a few years ago of not bringing my ranger 1k miles away and I would have given anything to have had it. The extra $ in gas and extra time it takes to get there is worth it IMO. This has been a weird year for weather and it would not surprise me if it continues. All it takes is 3-4 days of a good rain and those roads and trails get nasty and will take an additional day or two to really dry out. Be prepared for everything. Worst case scenario is you don't use it, but at least you have it if things get bad. Just my .02

Good Luck on your hunt!

I have hunted North Breaks elk a couple times once with the either sex. And many times deer hunting. I hunted the opening and then late Nov. For me the late hunt was by far the better experience. One thing is the amount of hunters in there for the opener. Lots of cow elk and deer hunters. Big herds of elk are bunched up on private. Later the elk are more here and there and you can go all day without seeing another hunter.
I didn't have a atv and don't see it being a big help, the "wheeled travel restrictions" apply.
But then I planned my hunts according to weather forecasts. I love the Breaks but only in dry conditions.
Yeah bring some extra fuel.
pm me if you like.

FYI, watched a dozen 6-point bulls Tuesday evening. No monsters, but lots of bugling and a little scrapping. I may have seen my 8x9 buddy from a couple years ago, but he was in the trees. I will see if I can find him on Sunday. Good luck on your hunt.

FYI, watched a dozen 6-point bulls Tuesday evening. No monsters, but lots of bugling and a little scrapping. I may have seen my 8x9 buddy from a couple years ago, but he was in the trees. I will see if I can find him on Sunday. Good luck on your hunt.
Knowing how "well" I do with elk, I'd bet against me seeing a dozen bulls; let alone six points! :D

I will put a better bull on FB tonight, but here is one I shot Saturday.

36502991173_9328f18825_b.jpg

He was harassing the girls.

37143574592_2403e7eebf_b.jpg

Mtmiller, his rack won't fit in your new truck with that topper you were looking at. You should just send me the grid coordinates so I can see if he fits in the one with the extra rise. :cool:

Here is another one. Not many bulls in the area last weekend, but with so many cows, I am betting on a few new racks this weekend.
36500567814_63fa1d5146_c.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back