MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

OnX chip - photo overlay AND checkerboard on GPS??

Steelsearchin

Total shot in the dark, but I'm striking out with searching for a solution on google/basecamp/onX/etc...

Does anybody know if it is possible to setup a Garmin GPS so that you can view both a custom aerial photo overlay and the checkerboard ownership from my WY chip??

I'm able to load custom .kmz files (aerial photos from GoogleEarth) onto the memory of the GPS, which is great. Unfortunately, when I zoom in with the GPS unit, the familiar yellow/white/blue OnX land ownership/checkerboard is now gone. Scrolling the cursor around does show who owns what section, but it would be nice if I could switch between the two views (or combine them and have blm yellow show through the overlay photo).

I'm wondering if there's a way I can add a layer or something similar so that I could switch between one or the other without having to turn on/off the custom maps in the map set-up. My gut tells me they're in the same location and I can't do what I want to.

FWIW, I played around with the transparency and it doesn't seem to matter how it is set.

Thanks!

-tom

I've done it for years.
Not for the timid or regular joe... as you will need to hack the bios on the GPS or have Birdseye. I hacked the bios then use topofusion to create a sat image file in kmz format. I then use mapc2mapc to convert the kmz to jnx (Birdseye format). I put that jnx file in the Birdseye folder and set jnxscale to 800. When looking at the gps, the std onx topos show until my zoom level gets to 800 feet then the display switches to sat imagery.
I also have mytopo of my hunt area as a custom map, in the custom map folder but turn it on/off as needed. The onx topo becomes transparent at 800 feet, turning the display into a sort of hybrid map.

From what I have experienced, Raster images in the custom map folder will always show above the other map types, regardless of draw order.

Last edited:
Did you re-order the layers in your map setup and/or ensure the aerials are turned on? I messed around with alternatives to birdseye and found the resolution lacking for the methods I tried. I have used the aerials that are part of onx on the smart phone. Those are quite good and don't require any extra subscriptions. The ones that come with earthmate and the inreach device are good as well.

Wow- thanks! Count me as timid I guess...and a bit of a GPS-illiterate...

Apparently zooming in beyond that 800' that Bob mentioned turns it back to the white/yellow checkerboard. Guess I'll just swap the custom maps on/off as needed for higher level GPS surfing if needed. As much as I love the idea of hacking the bios or switching up layers, I think I'll stick to what I know.

Thanks again!

-tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back