Unlike your wife, I want you opinion - Sidearm 10mm vs 357 mag

I'm a wheel gun guy. I'd carry the 357, not sure about ultra lightweight. Pigs and ears, 357 always worked in Oklahoma.

IMHO the 10MM is a beast to carry and shoot....I know what the Colt Delta Elite feels like to shoot and carry = No thank you
However I used to own a Ruger GP-100 with 4" full lug barrel and shot 38 SPCL in semi wad cutter for vrange work.
When the gun was in the house it was loaded with 158 grain JHP.
Functionally this gun will most likely make anything or anyone just as dead as the 10MM and do it probably more acurately.
If there are live rounds in the cylinder of the 357 Mag, anyone can make it bark if they pull the trigger.........not so with an auto that is only loaded in the clip and not yet cycled inbto battery.
If you happen to have a fail to fire it is almost human nature to keep pulling the trigger when facing something you want to kill. Revolver = good / Auto = not so much

Now in the hands of someone who carries their weapon for a living and is required to shoot often and qualify will most likely be fine with their semi auto's.
I know that when I had my Ruger GP-100 , I also had a S&W Sigma Series 40 caliber and my wife always picked up the revolver...every time.
I miss that revolver every time I shoot my Glock 19............IMHO the revolver shot from single action is way more accurate in MY hands.
Regarding the magazine capacity....we could beat this back and forth what guys think....but if I need more than 6 shots at a bad guy, I would probably be charged by a prosecuter for shooting at a fleeing intruder.
Any critter that I need to shoot 6 rounds into or shoot at 6 times is probably making a meal of me already.

Regarding the 10MM....I suppose a 280lb bad guy on Angel Dust or a 500lb bear may be dead faster with this cartridge than with say my 357 Magnum.

10Dogs

One more thing..........my good friend had a S&W 686 in 4".....that is a sweet gun with Pachmeyer decelerator grips.

I know that back in the 90's Taurus made big money copying all of the S&W revolvers and also pistols such as the S&W 4006 ( 4" / 40 cal)

In a panic situation like a bear attack or a bad guy kicking in your door while you are sleeping would you remember to pull the slide back on a semi-auto?
I know a lot of guys just think a semi-auto is cool and it carries more rounds than a wheel gun but it's hard to beat a double action revolver for reliability and in a panic situation you pull the trigger and it goes boom.
Here is the gun I bought my wife for home protection and she is very proficient with it, lots of practice with .38 specials and she is a better shot than me with it. We live in a very rural area so at home it is loaded with .357 mag hollow points all the time.

0817151257-00.jpg

In a panic situation like a bear attack or a bad guy kicking in your door while you are sleeping would you remember to pull the slide back on a semi-auto?
I know a lot of guys just think a semi-auto is cool and it carries more rounds than a wheel gun but it's hard to beat a double action revolver for reliability and in a panic situation you pull the trigger and it goes boom.
Here is the gun I bought my wife for home protection and she is very proficient with it, lots of practice with .38 specials and she is a better shot than me with it. We live in a very rural area so at home it is loaded with .357 mag hollow points all the time.

View attachment 73978

Carry with a round in the chamber...common sense. I agree with you in terms of reliability of a revolver, I like them too, but the glock certainly has a track record of great reliability.

View attachment 73978

Nice gr8....very

Carry with a round in the chamber...common sense. I agree with you in terms of reliability of a revolver, I like them too, but the glock certainly has a track record of great reliability.

Most common law enforcement handgun for a reason.

I'm still going with the .357 revolver for a carry around gun in the woods, but for anyone to call a Glock too unreliable to carry is absurd.

I carry my G20 with Buffalo Bore bear loads. It shoots a cast bullet which is different from pure lead bullet, which won't ruin a factory barrel. Hard cast bullets penetrate deep. Recoil is stiff, but manageable. Also carry Federal VitalShok 180gr load, which is a bonded bullet, not so stiff on recoil, but still penetrates well and packs a punch. Either way you chose, you'll be covered.

I have a glock 20 with both 10mm and 40 cal barrels for it. Both shoot great out of the gun, but that said I do use the 40 cal barrel becausey follow up shots are MUCH better. Like others have said use what you can shoot well, repeatably.

Another vote for a revolver. Glocks are PLENTY reliable, but the shooter isn't always so. I've seen a number of cops do some pretty funny (not in a good way) shit with a Glock under stress. A revolver is draw, pull trigger, rinse and repeat. No magazines to fall out or not be seated, no shooter induced malfunctions, etc.

I'm in the 357 DA revolver camp for woods carry away from big bears. Newbs can train w 38 special rounds. Mine is a Taurus titanium w 7 rounds, 2.5 inch barrel, 20 oz loaded. Barely noticeable when carrying. Recoil is brisk w 357 mag loads.

I ended up getting both--I have a Gen4 20 and it is very controllable with Sig ammo 180gr FMJ @ 1200fps because it's a larger frame than the .40cal versions. Other choices of ammo from 180-220gr in FMJ and hard cast loads make it very formidable.

But then again, I also got a performance center 8 shot S&W because....just because.

I like that with a semi-auto, remedial action is simple and easy to get proficient with. IF (big IF, but still possible) a revolver jams, it's jammed for the duration. If a semi-auto jams, it's just tap, rack, bang! Granted, neither is something you'd want to be messing with in the middle of a bear charge/mauling.

Looks like you can't go wrong with either choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back