Unlike your wife, I want you opinion - Sidearm 10mm vs 357 mag

TexAg09

I've been saving up my Cabelas points, and I've got the itch for a sidearm. I'm trying to decide between the S&W TRR8 in 357mag and the Glock 40 in 10mm. I'm really torn between the two, and I'd like to hear your feedback on which one to go with and why. I plan on carrying it while out hog/predator and duck hunting here in Texas. (I run into hogs on occasion while duck hunting.) I will also carry it with me into the back country when I go mule deer hunting in Utah. I would use this also if SHTF or for home defense. No concealed carry.

I like the 10mm because it's lighter and you can carry more rounds (15 vs 8 with the S&W). The Glock is cheaper, but ammo is slightly more expensive on average. I like the S&W because you can shoot 38 special and rat shot. Which would you choose, or go with something different?

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g40gen4mos

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-327-trr8

Thanks for your advice.

For HD, I would chose none of the above, but if it came down to a carry around in the country and the boogie man, I'd carry a 4" 686+ or a 4" SW19.

I would go 686+ as well, I've never like shooting the Scandium frames.

Have you looked at the Kimber 10mmm? I have been thinking a Custom II would be a fun shooter.

I'm a revolver guy for a mountain carry gun. Just don't have the trust in a semi to function all the time, every time. The 686 is the standard , but I do like my Ruger's and the one Colt I have. If I were to go over to the semi auto side, the Kimber Campguard looks to be a fantastic pistol. mtmuley

For HD, I would chose none of the above, but if it came down to a carry around in the country and the boogie man, I'd carry a 4" 686+ or a 4" SW19.

Why wouldn't you use them for HD? Just curious because both guns are used in Military and Law Enforcement groups. I know nothing about HD though. It's not a major concern for this purchase though.

Last edited:
I would go 686+ as well, I've never like shooting the Scandium frames.

Have you looked at the Kimber 10mmm? I have been thinking a Custom II would be a fun shooter.

I've never shot one of the scandium framed revolvers. What didn't you like about it? Recoil?

The Kimbers look sweet, but I just couldn't take a gun that pretty into the woods with me. I'd be afraid to get a scratch on it.

With my research I prefer the 357 for penetration, but when I'm all amped up and trying to protect myself from a bear or whatever, I'll take 15 rounds over 6 any day. You could always get something else in 357 auto as well. Personally I carry 40, right in the middle I guess you could say. :)

Last edited:
With my research I prefer the 357 for penetration, but when I'm all amped up and trying to protect myself from a bear or whatever, I'll take 15 rounds over 6 any day. You could always get something else in 357 auto as well.

No disrespect BUT it's a proven fact that you'll never have time for even 6 rounds on a bear encounter or whatever.

With my research I prefer the 357 for penetration, but when I'm all amped up and trying to protect myself from a bear or whatever, I'll take 15 rounds over 6 any day. You could always get something else in 357 auto as well.

Have to look at bullets. Any hardcast 10mm's out there? I use the Buffalo Bore 180's in my .357. mtmuley

Yep...and the 686+

4th ot 5th.

I carry a 4" M29 & a 4" 686 when i actually do wear iron.

Never felt the need to have more than 6 rounds. Used the 686 as hd for years when it was all i had and never felt undergunned. The scandium frames are made for carrying alot & shooting very little.

If you are stuck on these two, go Glock. The smith wont be shot much.

No disrespect BUT it's a proven fact that you'll never have time for even 6 rounds on a bear encounter or whatever.

None taken, proven fact or not, I'll still take 15 over 6 any day of the week. I should say I look at this as more than used for bear protection, it's for protection in general to me in the outdoors and in the real world, so my answer is more towards that and then we all know it's even more open ended. Either way, the OP gets a new gun... :)

Last edited:
Both will do the job. BUT are you proficient with a semi auto? If your going to carry it and depend on your skills to make the pistol perform then you need to know it inside and out. If your not able to put in the time to learn the semi auto then the revolver is by far the best choice.
When the Sheriffs Dept. I worked for converted from revolver to the semi auto we had a 3 day class and fired a 1000 rounds including a night shoot. Yes this may be over board in your case but it shows the need to train and know how to operate what you plan to carry. The Glock is an easy gun to learn but you do have to learn it. The revolver is easier to learn and cheaper to shoot. My opinion is you should go with the revolver and practice with 38's and also some buffalo bore 357's. Also Federal has a hard cast load.
Good luck,
Dan

I used to really want a 10mm. Then, instead picked up a Colt Python .357 - my "bear" protection, SHTF, gun. Game wardens carried .357 at the time - must be good, right?
Then I got a job which included performing necropsies on wild critters - including black and grizzly bears. Was not impressed with the penetration of .357 lead - ie. - 2 inches into heavy shoulder muscle on a medium size bear, fractured skulls from glancing shots. Not exactly great shot placement on either count - but real life shooting situations encountered in the field.
6 or 15 shots - you need a certain amount of luck on your side when the SHTF, during an up close and personal bear encounter.
Wish I still had the Python, but I'm much more "psychologically" comforted with my little Taurus .41 5 cylinder at hand. I don't ever want to have to use it. Haven't had to yet.............
If the SHTF in the house - out comes a shotgun.
Now for Texas pigs - love to have one of those cool silvery 10mm's to pull the trigger as fast as it can cycle - sending each successive round higher and higher.............:)

Why wouldn't you use them for HD? Just curious because both guns are used in Military and Law Enforcement groups. I know nothing about HD though. It's not a major concern for this purchase though.

Both are very snappy and loud. Give me something in 9mm Luger for light recoil and follow up. Today's bullets and ammo offerings in 9mm make it my top choice for HD.

I'd go semi auto glock all day. However I would choose a 40 over a 10mm. Easier handling for accurate follow up shots. Just like said before be proficient in your weapon and have some good training techniques. Lots of info out there, also buy quality ammo while carrying the weapon.

If you're talking defense of any kind, home or back country, I go with a revolver. KISS. Hard to jam, always work, snow rain mud. Tend to aim better in total dark. Friend carries a 10mm, cause it has 14 rounds. With all due respect to Cowboy, His theory is a wall of lead to get thru. If, as Onpoint duly points out, you can keep it level as you keep firing. :hump:
Sounds tho as you are looking for more fun than practicality. So the 10mm prob fits

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back