Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hinge/Back tension

Shuler08

Whats the thought on using a hinge/back tension release for hunting? Or does everybody mostly use a index or thumb release?

I've known one crackshot hunter who used back tension in the woods. I personally use thumb. To much for me in the heat of the moment for tension releases.

John Dudley swears that using a back tension (in his case the Silverback) release when hunting is a great way to go. You can still "rush" a shot if needed without punching the trigger. All that said from an ultimate archery Jedi master. I like to practice with a back tension but for some reason, hunting with one scares me to death. I use a thumb trigger

I think a lot of the tournament guys shoot a hinge in the woods mostly because that is what they are used to. I still shoot a thumb release though.

I shoot a hinge year round for indoors/target/field/3D...I couldn't imagine using one in a hunting situation. At the moment of truth I'm sure I would execute a good shot but there are just so many variables and adrenaline that things like letting down could get real interesting real quick. I have used a thumb button for hunting since the late 90s...I don't see it changing any time soon.
Have any of you watched Levi Morgans (Bowlife or Name the Game) shows? He uses a hinge on a wrist strap (Scott Longhorn Hunter I think) It drives me nuts hearing that thing jingle or bang against his binoculars throughout the entire show but it CERTAINLY works for him!

I hunt with my Carter Honey 2..it has a thumb safety. With two settings one u hold the safety down with thumb until u execute the shot the other u click on or off with ur thumb so if u need to let downu just click on the saftey ...my back up is a Carter to simple thumb release..

I think it depends on your ability to hold yourself together when you're jacked up on adrenaline in the heat of the moment. I can't, and so far use an index finger release. I'm going to start using a back tension release pretty soon this off season and see what it's like. It might force me to slow down and actually make a good shot in the heat of the moment.

I considered not switching back to my wrist strap this fall, but in the end went back to the old Spott Hogg Wiseguy. I shot a Scott Longhorn all spring/summer, and really liked it. Even when I switched, the good habits the back tension reinforces carry through. In the end I was worried about being to deliberate and missing an opportunity.....

No way am using giving up a command release in hunting situations and using a hinge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back