Portable capstan winch, anyone use one?

devon deer

I'm thinking of getting one for the red deer, after what happened last week my back and neck are still aching, if i couldn't have got truck fairly close and attach a rope i would have had problems getting it out.
But, they are really pricey, however i think the cost can be off set by preventing me messing up my back or getting a hernia!
They are used in forestry a lot, but the smaller model is used to extract large deer/elk/moose.
Cheers
Richard

We used one to pull out a couple elk a few years ago worked great. We had 600 feet of rope . I will say it went slow but alot easier on the back . There was three of us and one would walk with the elk keeping them from getting hung up on trees and rock. One ran the winch the other carried the rope up to next anchor point.

We used one to pull out a couple elk a few years ago worked great. We had 600 feet of rope . I will say it went slow but alot easier on the back . There was three of us and one would walk with the elk keeping them from getting hung up on trees and rock. One ran the winch the other carried the rope up to next anchor point.

That sounds just like what i want it for, i have a contact who made me a really good portable metal high seat, he has the skills ( i wish i did!) to make me one, it will be a 2 stroke, weighing around 20lb's, i will keep you updated when i get it, it should make my life a lot easier.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back