MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Goose hunt of a lifetime

Sask hunter

Started out getting permission that had a bunch of snows and some ducks and about 500 little canadas mixed in with the snows

Started out slow had ducks buzz and landing in the decoys prior to legal only to disappear once shooting light arrived. About five minutes into shooting time a little canada decoys in to my feet one shot and I have avoided the skunk. Few minutes later 3 Ross are hovering 15 yards out three quick shots and three geese dead within 15' of each other. Now it starts to get good and the flood gates open with snows pouring in. You could shoot the flock in the decoys and the next one 200 yards behind would lock up and drop right in. No calling no flagging needed or even had time for. It was load shoot and repeat. My barrel was too hot to touch at points this morning. If I knew all the birds were going to work in awesome I could have been picky and shot a limit of mature blues.
wKRzK7S.jpg

R8Vh1eb.jpg

rvFibYZ.jpg

yIt2itk.jpg

Ended the morning with my limit of 20 snows a limit of 8 canadas and 4 ducks. I honest to god could have shot over 100 snows this morning by myself. In about 10-15 minutes I had my 20 snows on the ground. my shooting was on fire and the birds were close. Shot three triples this morning with two on back to back flocks

I can't even put in to words how awesome this morning was. I took lots of videos on my phone. Thousands of geese coming over head less then 20 yards up no circling or anything just right down the pipe. Had geese almost close enough to hit with your shotgun. Even sitting up in your blind they are still dripping in to under 15 yards. It's a hunt I will never forget and it will be tough to top. This morning far surpassed my previous best morning of 22 birds solo. I'm not sure if I'll ever beat a solo morning of 32 birds.

For those curious on the spread I was running was 3 dz honker shells and 6 dozen silo socks and a couple mojo ducks. Geese were still landing at my feet with the mojos running this morning

That's ridiculous! Glad you had a good hunt, with all those birds, you surely have a favorite recipe you'd like to share right?!

Congrats!! Definitely sounds like the hunt of a lifetime. Someday...I'm going to make it up there to waterfowl hunt.

Being as I have never hunted outside of SK I can't really compare but it seems pretty good to me

Glad you had a great hunt! It's funny when blues start coming in the gun swing towards them!

Wow, it's always a special day when the snows decoy like that; is that a lentil field that you're hunting in? Saskatchewan is such a special place with such diversity just in terms of its waterfowling... I still can't fathom how big that province is let alone the size of one field of durum wheat and really enjoyed just driving the back roads with my RM maps, looking for tornadoes and talking with the farmers up there as they were so hospitable and eager to talk. Congrats on the barrel burner of a shoot and keep the pics and stories coming.

Wow, it's always a special day when the snows decoy like that; is that a lentil field that you're hunting in? Saskatchewan is such a special place with such diversity just in terms of its waterfowling... I still can't fathom how big that province is let alone the size of one field of durum wheat and really enjoyed just driving the back roads with my RM maps, looking for tornadoes and talking with the farmers up there as they were so hospitable and eager to talk. Congrats on the barrel burner of a shoot and keep the pics and stories coming.
It was a pea field. The chaff wasn't too spread out so I put decoys up and down the chaff and put a couple along the top to fence them in and have them landing in front of me.

This has kinda got the snow bug in me. I think I am going to start building a spread. Lot s of times I hunt solo and usually only till around mid September so I am thinking 300 socks and a caller.

Not sure when the next pictures and stories will be taking the GF after archery mulies this weekend then elk after that then a family commitment the week after that. That bring us to thanksgiving I may throw the decoys in the truck when I go back home and maybe do one shoot. Usually we focus on deer back at home. Decent whitetails and awesome mulie hunting back there. Hopefully I can get a shoot or two in mid to late October and I may even try a November honker shoot. That time of year is busy for me as I am baiting and snaring coyotes then

Damn, sounds like a great life. Much impressed that you still have time for GF. Joke, do not do smiles.

Seriously. nice life!

Damn, sounds like a great life. Much impressed that you still have time for GF. Joke, do not do smiles.

Seriously. nice life!
Thanks I am pretty fortunate. I'm young no kids decent job so I can afford to hunt a lot and a GF that enjoys hunting and fishing. I honestly hunt fish or trap every month of the year. July and August are the two months that slow down for me a bit when the water gets too warm and the fish move out to deeper water cause I am still a shore bound angler

Great hunt live the mixed bag of geese, as we only have Canadians here and the limit is two.
I grew up on the west side of the SK and it wasn't uncommon to shoot specks canadas and snows all in a day. Our limit is 8 dark geese but only 5 can be specks. Many mornings I would hammer my 5 specks then have to wait for the canadas to start flying to finish my limit

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back