Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 69 pronghorn doe hunt/fishing

redwoood

I wasn't sure where to post this since I am more looking for fishing pointers. My wife and I have pronghorn doe tags for unit 69. We are staying in Alcova and taking the kids(1 and 3 along should be interesting) and I am looking for pointers for fishing with my 3 year old. Looking for simple ways to catch trout. Planning on fishing the reservoir more than likely. I know in my limited trout fishing experience dough bait can work where there is a current. Never been to the area so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. He loves fishing and is excited about the opportunity to catch something different.

If anyone has tips about road conditions and such that would be much appreciated as well. I have the chip, maps, and HMA permission. Hoping for a couple quick does for the freezer and lots of family time. Been to WY for pronghorn twice but never in this area. I really thought my wife would pull a buck tag but I am sure you all know how the draw has been the last couple years. Looking at this as scouting for the future as well.

Thanks,
Redwood

Sorry, no help, never been there. We have a doe tag for 63 though, just south of you, and will probably camp near the reservoir if it takes more than 1 day to fill that tag. Good luck, and enjoy your time with your family!

If you google Alcova fishing a few guides and shops pop up. They will give you great info on what they are biting at the time and be more than willing to help with info to get your kids catching fish. Sloan's general storer will also have info.
Spinners and power bait will work, corn for that matter too, worms always catch brookies and browns with a bobber.
Just ask about shore fishing the lake or maybe even rent a boat for a half day after that doe hunt.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice...will definitely ask at sloans since we will be staying by there. Who doesn't love bobber fishing!? LCH we won't be arriving in the unit until the 18th...but if you see an orange colored f150 with MO plates flag me down and say hi.

Back