Protesters blocking access

Husker hunter

I have heard that protesters calling them selves the rainbow coalition, are blocking access to trail heads & camps in northern colorado. Can anyone confirm this?

I have a hard time imagining a situation where a protester can stop you from going hunting unless you allow it.

I have a hard time imagining a situation where a protester can stop you from going hunting unless you allow it.

They gum up traffic and limited parking in trailhead areas, try to "shoo" the animals and sometimes will shadow the hunters. The later seems like a recipe for disaster, somebody will eventually get hurt. Randy N passed on a shot on his Bison hunt episode rather than get into it with a group (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjg0D-rRR1Q at 10:50).

I heard there was a new elk management hunting area opened near Boulder on state park land, if it happened anywhere I bet it was there...

I got my info from a friend of a friend so not for sure. The story goes that up by walden, a large group of people have taken most of the camping spots. They are also blocking the roads in large groups, some demanding money to move. I'm heading there in a week so I hope it's taken care of by then. I really hope they haven't ventured into the wilderness & scared off all the elk

Husker, I saw them. While I may not agree with their lifestyle and "camping" methods, we must remember that the land is public land and there for everyone to use. The people that I encountered were as polite as anyone you would meet on the street. They were just there to camp together and party together. Some very dirty and rough looking folks, but they were polite enough for the most part. They do have a lot of dogs barking at the camps but you can't hear that once you are 1/4 mile from the road. They do have a lot of cars, trucks, bus, RVs, and the traffic in and out was a little interesting but they did not block the road or demand payment. I drive a full size crew cab truck and got by OK. I also parked it between their vehicles where I could and they didn't mess with it when I was gone. One guy was going up the trail to cut a tree for their makeshift tent and was concerned if he would mess up my hunting or not. I said Knock yourself out, I'm walking in way past where you guys will go. On my way out at the end of the week as I weaved my way through the dilapidated vehicles one older Hippie fella sat on the edge of his van with the sliding door open smoking a cigarette, as I came by at 2 mph he held up a sign that read "Best Day Ever" - I stopped and rolled down the window and said AMEN BROTHER! :) We chatted a bit about his chess board set that he had set up on a bucket and I shared a elk shoulder roast with them. They hadn't had any meat for a week. My point is, yes it was kinda of a PIA and it made me nervous, but that particular crew were decent enough people. I am headed back to the same area in a week also to try to help my buddy fill a tag. My point is, don't make enemies when you get there and kill them with kindness and most people will return the same attitude that they get. Best wishes on your hunt.
PS> Keep an eye on the fires, part of that area is being shut down now and the fire is growing. My friends that are there hunting now say the smoke is terrible.

Would this be the Rainbow Family gathering. They will be there for a few weeks then leave a big mess if so. Many are good folks, just wandering hippies but some are not. Watch your stuff.

Would this be the Rainbow Family gathering. They will be there for a few weeks then leave a big mess if so. Many are good folks, just wandering hippies but some are not. Watch your stuff.

I'm pretty sure this was a month or so ago already but there may be a few stragglers sticking around

I have heard of them several years ago they invaded a portion of national forest in our area. They basically all get together and go on a big camping trip and party and make a mess leaving the area a wreck. At least that's what happened here. Picture a few thousand hippies camping and well that's about what it is. I haven't heard of them messing with hunters but if they are in the area forget a good hunt better go to plan B.

Last edited:
They do have a bad reputation for leaving a mess but all of the folks I visited with were trying to change that and insured me that everything would be completely cleaned up when they left. Did that happen, hard telling, but it wasn't as bad as all of the stories I have heard. Again, not condoning the drug use and other lifestyles they choose but they were decent to me. They commented about how they may be there for a month of so before moving on. This was the last days of August when I was there. Some left the morning after the law drove thru :rolleyes:

When they had a rainbow gathering in Dillion about 20 years ago, the whole town was pretty skeptical about it. If I remember right, they were pretty good and they've been welcomed back to Dillon a few more times. I think they've help clean up when leaving.

Just like any group has their bad apples(we as hunters have some pretty bad one too), the majority are good people.

I don't see a problem as long as they don't interfere with someone hunting and don't leave trash scattered around. I have a problem with anyone that leaves trash or interferes with someone hunting, whether you are another hunter or non-hunter. Makes no difference in my eyes.

Also, I was told by a game warden that anyone intentionally scaring game away was committing a violation. So if this happens i would take video and call the local warden.

Not transients at all. I ran into a group in the Allegheny NF in Pa years ago. They ran the gambit from welfare hippies to NYC lawyers. Anytime that many people get together there will be problems but for the most part they don't bother anybody.

I don't know anything about this group, outside of what has been posted in this forum. But I don't give anyone a pass on bad behavior. It seems like if someone or a group of folks within the larger group of people took a leadership role and urged/ensured that they didn't leave a mark on the land, then they would be viewed more favorably. The same can be said for hunters. In another thread a forum member posted about his mtn. goat trip where he had to pick up trash and put out a campfire left by other hunters. There were resounding kudos for that forum member and equal disdain for the hunters that left the fire burning and trash behind. If any one or group is leaving trash behind on the landscape they should be called out for their impacts and it should be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back