PEAX Equipment

Freezing temperatures and Gun powder

jerm8352

So due to some crazy circumstances (new job trying to move family stuff etc) I have not yet loaded up a batch of ammo for hunting season. I have a recipe all worked up that my rifle likes and I plan on using it so all it will take is a little time at the bench and the range to mark sure everything is good. However I just checked and I have some IMR 7828 which is what I normally use for this load. The problem is I had the powder stored in my garage over the winter and it may have dipped below freezing at times in the garage I know that high temperatures have an effect on powder but what about low temperatures? Would you use this powder for hunting? Thanks and sorry for the long read.

Last edited:
Cold weather is usually drier (less humid). Should be no problem unless the container formed condensation inside of it once it warmed up. I would load one or two, and shoot them looking for unburned powder or sooty residue after firing the first. For your once in a lifetime hunt, shi*can it, and buy another can. Cheapest part of your hunt, but could be the most important.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back