Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunters Sour On Trump's Interior Secretary Over Public Lands Review

mfb99

NPR digital news and radio had a short segment on OUR Public Land fight.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/06/547687095/hunters-sour-on-trump-s-interior-secretary-over-public-lands-review

Of interest to me was the clear and firm response from Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. These guys (and gals) see the danger that Zinke and the current administration pose to Our Public Lands. "Zinke "definitely likes to espouse the ideals of Teddy Roosevelt," says John Sullivan, chairman of the Montana chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, who is featured in the ad. "He's not living up to them now."

On the other hand, Boone and Crockett was briefly mentioned as showing some level of support for the Zinke review. ""What are we afraid of? That's what I would ask to begin with," said Phillips, whose group was founded in 1887 by Teddy Roosevelt. "Having Secretary Zinke step in and look at this when there's been such a dramatic increase in such a short period of time, really makes sense to us."

To answer B and C, (in my view) what we should be afraid of is the "review" has been championed by the Extraction industry, large ranching companies and certain Senators. The complete absence of Conservation groups, Sportsman Groups and Outdoor Equipment Manufactures promoting this review is telling. The secrecy of the Zinke report is also telling.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with adjusting some boundaries, increasing access in some cases, but this is not what this effort is. This effort is to set legal precedent to begin the process of reducing, selling and leasing OUR Public Lands.

It is that simple. Don't over think it, Zinke and his hacks are not benevolent, they are not out to improve Our Public Lands.

My challange is this. Prove me wrong Mr. Zinke, ADD some land to a monumnet, OPEN some oil lease property to public access, TAKE DOWN some ranch fencing and let us onto OUR land, LET US CORNER CROSS without fear of trespass, work to reverse the assault on water and land by the EPA, champion money for the NPS, BLM and State Fish and Wildlife organizations - etc, etc.

I am pretty confident Zinke will not prove me wrong.....

Barring that, keep on fighting for OUR Public Lands.

Cheers,

Mark

Note: If you want to rail about NPR, post somewhere else. If you want to post childish pictures of Nancy Pelosi, post somewhere else, if you want to post about liberal rags, liberal elites post somewhere else, if you want to post self righteous slaps on the back about the second amendment or how many guns you have post somewhere else. If you want to use YOUR brain and engage in civil discourse, please post away.

Zinke has zero control over corner crossing, it is not his jurisdiction. Contact your local sheriff's office and district attorney office. I also doubt he can destroy private property such as "ranch fencing". Please, if you're going to demand things, at least be rational and reasonable.

Cheers,

A non-soured hunter

NPR digital news and radio had a short segment on OUR Public Land fight.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/06/547687095/hunters-sour-on-trump-s-interior-secretary-over-public-lands-review

Of interest to me was the clear and firm response from Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. These guys (and gals) see the danger that Zinke and the current administration pose to Our Public Lands. "Zinke "definitely likes to espouse the ideals of Teddy Roosevelt," says John Sullivan, chairman of the Montana chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, who is featured in the ad. "He's not living up to them now."

On the other hand, Boone and Crockett was briefly mentioned as showing some level of support for the Zinke review. ""What are we afraid of? That's what I would ask to begin with," said Phillips, whose group was founded in 1887 by Teddy Roosevelt. "Having Secretary Zinke step in and look at this when there's been such a dramatic increase in such a short period of time, really makes sense to us."

To answer B and C, (in my view) what we should be afraid of is the "review" has been championed by the Extraction industry, large ranching companies and certain Senators. The complete absence of Conservation groups, Sportsman Groups and Outdoor Equipment Manufactures promoting this review is telling. The secrecy of the Zinke report is also telling.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with adjusting some boundaries, increasing access in some cases, but this is not what this effort is. This effort is to set legal precedent to begin the process of reducing, selling and leasing OUR Public Lands.

It is that simple. Don't over think it, Zinke and his hacks are not benevolent, they are not out to improve Our Public Lands.

My challange is this. Prove me wrong Mr. Zinke, ADD some land to a monumnet, OPEN some oil lease property to public access, TAKE DOWN some ranch fencing and let us onto OUR land, LET US CORNER CROSS without fear of trespass, work to reverse the assault on water and land by the EPA, champion money for the NPS, BLM and State Fish and Wildlife organizations - etc, etc.

I am pretty confident Zinke will not prove me wrong.....

Barring that, keep on fighting for OUR Public Lands.

Cheers,

Mark

Note: If you want to rail about NPR, post somewhere else. If you want to post childish pictures of Nancy Pelosi, post somewhere else, if you want to post about liberal rags, liberal elites post somewhere else, if you want to post self righteous slaps on the back about the second amendment or how many guns you have post somewhere else. If you want to use YOUR brain and engage in civil discourse, please post away.

You frequently post about BHA successes.
- Are you an officer or member?
- Does BHA accept management plans which don't support propagation of wildlife or habitat improvement using accepted and proven management practices?
- What sportsmen and conservation organizations has BHA collaborated with?
- Got back from archery elk with my boy tonight and learned the area we hunted that Backcountry Horsemen of America maintain several trails open to horse and foot only. One of the locals said they are also active with the process of which trials are walk or horse only. What's BHA history with this issue?

Troy Rushton

Self-righteous

adjective
confident of one's own righteousness, especially when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

I don't know why I bothered clicking on this, once I see it one of your rants I've lost all interest. Whatever you message is your trying to prove, seems your pushing more away than doing good. Just my 2 cents

Mark,

I think the BHA is shooting themselves in the foot spending the amount of money they have on political TV ads. Most all the hunters I know are getting tired of it.

Keep it up if you want to lose next go round as well.

BHA and TRCP among others have adopted the stance that NRA has used for so long. They are succeeding @ mobilizing a generation that has been naïve RE efforts to steal our public lands heritage. Good, that is why I belong to them both.

If any here think efforts to privatize public lands have slowed, you are sorely mistaken. Public lands are a legacy of our forefathers. They create the character of this nation as belonging to all Americans. They have only monetary value to those who lack that character. I stand w those who will make every effort to preserve the connection between citizens and this nation that is exemplified by our magnificent public lands. Keep public lands in public hands!

- Does BHA accept management plans which don't support propagation of wildlife or habitat improvement using accepted and proven management practices?
- Got back from archery elk with my boy tonight and learned the area we hunted that Backcountry Horsemen of America maintain several trails open to horse and foot only. One of the locals said they are also active with the process of which trials are walk or horse only. What's BHA history with this issue?

Troy Rushton

Double D,

Lately it seems you've had an axe to grind with BHA, what gives?

1. I don't know if Mark is an officer of UT BHA or not but a quick google search yielded no BHA Chapter Board members with the first name Mark.
2. If you find a management plan that BHA supported that doesn't support wildlife and wildlife habitat it will be the first I've heard of it.
3. Once again I'm sure a quick google search would suffice but the list is long: TRCP, Wild Sheep Foundation, Keep It Public, Trout Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever, Muley Fanatic, Boone and Crockett, RMEF, Montana Wildlife Federation, National Wildlife Federation. I am certainly missing organizations.
4. Are you against keeping certain trails open to walking or horse travel only? Smoke Elser, who just earned the Legacy Award from Backcountry Horsemen of America is also a life member of BHA. My best friend got home last night from a 6 day trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness where they brought a pack string into the Bob to repair and clean up trails. The trip was sponsored and organized by MT BHA along with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation.

BHR, not sure if you would fall under the targeted audience. ;)

Mark,

I think the BHA is shooting themselves in the foot spending the amount of money they have on political TV ads. Most all the hunters I know are getting tired of it.

Keep it up if you want to lose next go round as well.

Huh, I am hearing nothing but positive from the hunters and non hunters I know. Most are either sending money, joining or both.

Last edited:
I have to take issue with the use of the term "OUR Public Lands". At best you are referring to Hunt Talk users, at worst you are referring to me and people that think like me. Public lands are owned by all of us, all 320 odd million of us. You and I may not like it but the oil company executive has just as much ownership as we do. When you use the term "OUR Public Lands" it sounds way too similar to some Bundy type ranchers that think public lands should be theirs or managed just for their benefit.

"BHR, not sure if you would fall under the targeted audience."

I will agree completely with this comment. I didn't vote for either Trump or Hillary. First time in my life that I didn't vote for one of the parties candidate. The targeted audience is made up of folks that aren't sharp enough to see an agenda right in front of their nose. Waste your memberships money if think it's a smart move. I don't. Time will tell.

" Waste your memberships money if think it's a smart move. I don't. Time will tell.

Good thing is most hunters are not willing to sit back and let others do the heavy lifting for them. They value public land the work BHA is doing and really could care less who voted for whom.

Public lands are owned by all of us, all 320 odd million of us.
Great point, antlerradar. Too often we get self-focused and stuck on the idea that multiple use is merely hunting and fishing.

I may be off base, but I suspect Zinke is attempting to form policies and decisions considering a much broader scope of multiple use.

Good thing is most hunters are not willing to sit back and let others do the heavy lifting for them. They value public land the work BHA is doing and really could care less who voted for whom.
Best of luck with the political ads Tony. Hope it works out for you.

Great point, antlerradar. Too often we get self-focused and stuck on the idea that multiple use is merely hunting and fishing.

I may be off base, but I suspect Zinke is attempting to form policies and decisions considering a much broader scope of multiple use.

Absolutely agree w/ Antlerradar's post as well.

Respectfully, I don't agree that Zinke is searching to find balance based on his actions since being confirmed. He's cut participation of the public and rescinded rules or suggested altering or eliminating rules and regulations that put wildlife and habitat management on a level playing field with industry. He's looking to restore power over our lands to one special interest, rather than focus efforts on ensuring all Americans have an equal voice.

He's shut down the Resource Advisory Committees which informed the agencies on many issues from a broad set of stakeholders who are well versed with the landscapes they were working on.

He's allowed Congress to pass a CRA that eliminated the BLM 2.0 planning rule which gave people more influence over the direction of the BLM.

He's made recommendations regarding the sage grouse plans that fly in the face of what Western Governors and the Westerns Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies asked for.

He's installed oil, gas and mining lobbyists in top positions at interior.

He's reorganized the agencies under his purview in such a way that experts in their fields are now being punished by being placed in areas where they have no knowledge or understanding of their roles.

He's advocated a budget that slashes access funding, on-the-ground management of public lands and cuts deeply in to the resources needed to manage those lands in favor or putting increased funding towards expedited drilling permits and fast-tracking bad ideas in order to yield maximum short-term profit.

But other than that, he's great. He didn't kill the long-standing effort to increase access to wildlife refuges and he's come out for a short-term halt on mining next to Yellowstone. And the anti-public land crowd at Americans For Prosperity and Sutherland Institute love him.

Troy Rushton

OH MY GOD!! They want to have areas that you can't drive your pick-up or atv into. OH MY GOD!!
Seems like a good thing.

Ben, yes apparently I was off base. Your information and insight shows that it's not a "broader scope" but merely a shift in the pendulum to more emphasis on resource extraction. Other posts are expressing that BHA is working hard at arresting that swing of the pendulum.

Ben, yes apparently I was off base. Your information and insight shows that it's not a "broader scope" but merely a shift in the pendulum to more emphasis on resource extraction. Other posts are expressing that BHA is working hard at arresting that swing of the pendulum.

BHA, TRCP & NWF are all doing very solid work in the states and in DC to advance meaningful solutions to public land management issues. Other groups are as well, but I've yet to see them step up like these three groups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back