MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Fall Black Bear

bbateman

I moved back to Boise last fall and really want to get a black bear. I wasn't able to get out much during the spring season because I got married in the middle of it. I was wondering is it worth hunting black bears in the fall anywhere within a 3 hour drive of Boise?

Shit loads of black bears less than 1 hour and 20 minutes from your door step. Idaho City, Centerville, Placerville etc. Middle fork of the boise river

I've been thinking of trying for my first bear this fall as well.

In the areas around Boise, is it more spot and stalk or baiting?

Think food sources for fall, mainly berry crops.

That sounds like a good idea.

Any advice on what kind of conditions to look for to locate berry patches? I've never tried finding them before.

That sounds like a good idea.

Any advice on what kind of conditions to look for to locate berry patches? I've never tried finding them before.
I think it's late, a little too late in the season to attempt to locate bears frequenting these areas. Years ago, when bear season was typically year round, as I recall, hunting berry patches was a practical approach to locating black bears. It clearly was the most productive time of the year for spotting bears. I would often see two or three bears per day in what I often referred to as 'communal feeding areas' centered in and around areas which produced berries, especially around creeks. It's possible some bears may become habituated to visiting berry patches for a certain period of time near the end of or even shortly after the season. In any case if you're still interested in this approach send me a p.m. and I'll provide you with several locations in the 'vicinity of Boise' which should put you in 'slingshot range' of some productive areas for locating bears.

Last edited:
Hannibal PM has been sent. Guys thanks for the pointers I've got a renewed sense of hope and will be getting out on the weekends to get my bear. I've heard they are traditionally most active in the evening, have you guys found this to be true?

Hannibal PM has been sent. Guys thanks for the pointers I've got a renewed sense of hope and will be getting out on the weekends to get my bear. I've heard they are traditionally most active in the evening, have you guys found this to be true?
Good luck on your hunt and check out my p.m.. It'll be interesting to see how effective this method is so late in the season (berry).

Hannibal thanks for the advice. I was able to go a sit on the ridge over looking the some berry patches and creek and about 7 pm had a bear come walking along the ridge opposite me. He never go close enough I felt comfortable taking a shot (just over 600 yards was the closest). However it was was great seeing one with a tag in my pocket and will be returning later this week to see if I can't get myself some fall bear fat.

Hannibal thanks for the advice. I was able to go a sit on the ridge over looking the some berry patches and creek and about 7 pm had a bear come walking along the ridge opposite me. He never go close enough I felt comfortable taking a shot (just over 600 yards was the closest). However it was was great seeing one with a tag in my pocket and will be returning later this week to see if I can't get myself some fall bear fat.
I no longer hunt fall bears or hunt that particular area but I had little doubt that you'd spot bears or continue to see them, with a little persistence. Learning about your experience is probably as exciting for me as it has been for you, reminding me of action packed hunts, many sightings and an unusual blue-gray color phase bear I killed there in the creek bottom. Try the mid to late afternoon and evenings and focus on the creek bed, both forks. And if you have the time check the creek bed for what's left of the berry crop, if anything. I'd be interested to know if berries are still present. But berries or no berries both forks of the creek should continue to attract bears. Keep us posted and good luck.

I no longer hunt fall bears or hunt that particular area but I had little doubt that you'd spot bears or continue to see them, with a little persistence. Learning about your experience is probably as exciting for me as it has been for you, reminding me of action packed hunts, many sightings and an unusual blue-gray color phase bear I killed there in the creek bottom. Try the mid to late afternoon and evenings and focus on the creek bed, both forks. And if you have the time check the creek bed for what's left of the berry crop, if anything. I'd be interested to know if berries are still present. But berries or no berries both forks of the creek should continue to attract bears. Keep us posted and good luck.

Based on the bear crap I found on the trail I think there are still some berries around. Another interesting thing was on the road in I found three seperate kills of fawns that looked to have happened within the last month or two based on this having quite a bit of hair on the skulls and legs. Couldn't decided if it's the work of bears, coyotes or wolves.

There should be 3 or 4 bears, maybe more, visiting the area around the creeks so you'll have plenty of opportunities for a shot at much closer range and you can also be a little more selective about which one you eventually shoot. You may have several bears visiting both forks simultaneously so stay mobile or find a vantage point where you can overlook both. Good Luck

@Hannibal I sent a pm as well. Would love to see or take a look at any country you recommend.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back