Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Zealand backpack Chamois hunt.

AndySmith

It's been a long time since I joined this forum but I've not been active recently so I thought I'd change that and share a great Chamois hunt I had in late April this year.

Down here the Chamois rut usually starts in May and is winding down by early June. I had taken three days off work either side of a weekend in the hope of finding some Chamois bucks in the pre rut on a remote area of public land a couple of hours drive from home.

It was warm for the time of year and under beautiful blue skies I shouldered my pack and rifle and began the trek up valley. My goal for the day was to walk 16km up valley to a hut and over night there before continuing to my hunting area the next morning. I made good time and after four hours of walking I arrived at the hut just on dark. The hut was pretty full and few people not familiar with hunting were a bit alarmed to a guy with a rifle turn up. They all seemed pretty happy after I'd shown them all the rifle was unloaded and I'd removed the bolt. After a dehydrated meal on the deck watching the afterglow of the sunset fade I hit the sleeping bag.

Next morning I was up at four am, creeping out of the hut in the dark to make a high pass at first light. I picked my way through boulder field and in the first light of the dawn ground my way up the last steep section to my first glassing point. The sun was soon bathing the peaks and in the yellow early morning light I saw my first Chamois. A group of three young bucks jostling each other 1000m away along the valley. The sun was warm as I glassed the surrounding faces. With no more animals seen I decided to move on to an area I knew had some good herb fields and alpine scrub.

I descended from the pass all the time surrounded by stunning scenery. My route took me down a narrow valley with a mountain stream in the bottom, I'd just rock hopped to the other side when I spotted a Chamois doe standing on a rock looking at me. I quickly got the spotter out and watched her as she snorted at me and stamped her foot, I love seeing these behaviours. After a while she retreated 100m and lay down on a rock to keep and eye on me. I moved on keen to reach my next glassing point in good time for the late afternoon activity period.

The route was steep and progress slow but by 3 pm i was sitting with my back against a large rock in the valley floor glassing a large steep face with plenty of feed. Despite picking it apart for 45 min, no animals were spotted. I turned my attention to the other side of the valley. Almost immediately, I saw two Chamois on the face above me displaying to each other by raising their long dorsal hairs. I got the spotter set up and inspected them carefully. One was a younger buck but the other had a large blocky body and even at 300m, I could see his horns thinned towards the bases making it likely he was an old buck. His horns weren't massive but had great flare. To me, an old buck is primarily what I'm after with size a good bonus if it's there.

This guy fitted the bill, there was a large flat rock to my right angled perfectly to provide a good rest for the rifle so after dialling my scope for the range, I waited for my buck to present a good shot. He was behind some brush but after a minute or two he postured up on a rock displaying to the other buck presenting a perfect broadside. I took a careful shot and was able to see him rear up before sliding dead off his rock and into a dry creek that ran down the face.

I was excited to see him and quickly waded the river to get to his side of the valley. Despite only being 300m away, it took 20 minutes to climb up to him over large slippery boulders and through thick alpine scrub. I found him, magnificent in his full winter coat in the stream bed. I was delighted to find he was an eleven year old buck, still in great condition. I sat, admiring him for a few minutes looking out over the mountains before taking some pictures and starting the preparation.

It was with a heavy pack that I made it to my camp spot in the dark. It had been a great day and sleep came easily that night. The next day was another beautiful day, I was up early as I'd decided to walk all the way out in one day. Watching the scenery go by certainly made the hike easier and I reached the truck eight hours later tired but very happy with great wilderness experience and a great old buck to show for it.1492500924946.jpg
1492500924114.jpg
1492500919291.jpg1492500915438.jpg

What a good looking old boy!! Some day I will make down there. Your alpine scenery always gets me riled up.

Great trophy! Definitely a buck list animal of mine, especially the way you accomplished it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back