Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

.338 Win Mag Bullet Choice for Moose

HSi-ESi

Here's little background before my question. I've got a Ruger No1 chambered in .338 WM. It wasn't a shooter when I first purchased it and my Dad and I spent time working on the fore-end. We added a Hick's accurizer and glass bedded the forearm. The initial tests I've done with shooting my original loads show that the combination of the 2 items have improved the shooting a ton. I went from 6-9 inch groups to sub 2's. I've been planning on doing a full write up here of what we did - once I get it completed. In the meantime - I was lucky enough to draw a MT Moose permit - and am planning on using this gun (sentimental reasons now).

But my question to the group now is on some bullet selections.

I worked up 3 different bullets, 5 rounds each. All were minimum powder charges and I chose IMR4831 as the powder (I've got it on-hand, all 3 bullets had manufacturer loads for it). All 3 bullets were loaded 0.050 off the lands. I shot last night - and here are the results.

Nosler Partition 210 gr, Spitzer.
4 shot group: 1.7" (this was my previous bullet choice. First shot was used as a fouling shot)​
Nosler Accubond 250 gr.
5 shot group: 1.4"​
Barnes TSX 210 gr.
5 shot group: 2.6"​

I figure that any of these bullets will perform just fine on moose, and with the Accubond's being the most accurate right now - I'm leaning towards loading those. I can get 30 rounds worked up this week and then do my final sight-in this weekend with 10 of the rounds. I have the most faith in the Partitions in that I've shot >20 elk with 180 gr 30 cal Partitions, but I've heard great things on both the Accubonds and Barnes.

What are your collective thoughts?

As an aside, I will be doing more load development and tweaking the Hicks after the season. I'm pretty sure I can get it shooting under an inch. I just am running out of time right now for using this on the moose.

If it were me, I'd shoot the Accubonds. A 250 grain AB ought to be plenty of bullet for that task and let's face it, accuracy is the most important thing. Congrats on the tag!

Accubond is a great bullet. I've shot them through elk shoulders out of a 7mm. I'm sure the 338 ones will be plenty for moose.

I'd use a heavier bullet - like the 225 TTSX or 250 Accubond. Ruger #1's have a spotty reputation, but generally can get to under 1" with some work.

But if those aren't an option - then the one that's the most accurate.

My father used 250 gr partition on moose years ago. One shot kill, never took a step. Bullet recovered in the hide on the off side. That being said, I'd second the Barnes also. I currently shoot them in the same .338.

250gr Nosler partition, used them on moose, deer, antelope and caribou. All one shot kills with minimal meat damage, at ranges from 80 to 275 yds. GJ

Use the Accubond. It is every bit the bullet the Partition is and more. mtmuley

250gr Nosler partition, used them on moose, deer, antelope and caribou. All one shot kills with minimal meat damage, at ranges from 80 to 275 yds. GJ

I looked a 338 Win Mag over the weekend and thought "oh my shoulder". I can absolutely see it for moose, brown bear, the occasional Sasquatch. I would think it may be a tad much for antelope. Why don't you use a more shoulder friendly cartridge? Is it wind drift?

I looked a 338 Win Mag over the weekend and thought "oh my shoulder". I can absolutely see it for moose, brown bear, the occasional Sasquatch. I would think it may be a tad much for antelope. Why don't you use a more shoulder friendly cartridge? Is it wind drift?

See a lot of posts equating using heavy, larger caliber bullets because of wind drift. Heavier bullets don't always drift less than lighter, smaller caliber ones ya know. mtmuley

When you carry an elk combo tag and have a separate antelope tag and only have one rifle with you it gets used prn. Same for an Alaska moose, bear and caribou hunt. GJ

I like the 200gr. Accubond and some Reloader 17. Much better velocities and a bit less recoil than the 250-300gr. bullets.

IMR is a fine powder , but I couldn't get true performance out of it in my .338.

Thanks for the comments. I'll load up 30 or so Accubond's (250 gr) this week with what I have on hand. I'll chronograph them for curiosity, but I'm happy with the performance I have gotten out of them so far. Nosler reports 2382 fps for the load, mine might be a bit higher with a 26" barrel.

I will do some more load dev this winter and definitely go through some different powders and bullets, so thanks for the recommendations. It'll make that part go a bit faster. I've been thinking of Reloader 17, just don't have any on hand at the moment. The season kicks off next Friday, and I'll be travelling next Monday-Thursday.

I seriously doubt that I'll have more than a 150-200 yard shot opportunity in my unit, and I never really plan on taking a longer shot anyway. Plus, this rifle is gaining some serious sentiment. I do love to shoot it - recoil isn't an issue to me. I really fell in love with the point and feel of the No 1, and the .338 rounded out my chamberings in the safe (if there is such a thing, Ben Lamb has me looking at all that metric stuff). But I spent 4 plus years looking for the damn thing, then when it wouldn't group I was pretty frustrated. Throw in some health issues with my Dad - and the fact that we actually got to work on the rifle together like we had planned makes it all the more special.

Thanks again - keep the advice coming if you have more. But with my limited time schedule I'll push forward for this hunt with the 250 gr Accubonds.

See a lot of posts equating using heavy, larger caliber bullets because of wind drift. Heavier bullets don't always drift less than lighter, smaller caliber ones ya know. mtmuley

I had saw that the other day on the 300 Win Mag for antelope justification and wondered if it carried thru. I'm not a magnum guy so it's more curiousness than anything.

When you carry an elk combo tag and have a separate antelope tag and only have one rifle with you it gets used prn. Same for an Alaska moose, bear and caribou hunt. GJ

That makes good sense. Thanks for explaining.

I've never shot a moose but I have seen a lot, does that count? :) If I were to go moose hunting today I'd take my 30-06. I've had two 338 mags in the past and they beat the tar out of me! But if I were going to go 338 mag, it would definitely be with a 250gr bullet. But then too, I only shoot ccup and core bullet's.

Doesn't make all that much difference. The one I shot was with 180 grain partition out of a 300 mag and it tipped over just fine.
Plenty have been killed with good old 30-06 and 180 grain Corelokts.

All will work moose aren't too tough for their size. Of your loads I would use the partition cause they shoot best. I use 225 Barnes TTSX in mine and they shoot good and flatten bears

From the research I did, the Barnes TTX should perform well. Solid copper that retains 95% of its weight. I have not shot anything with one but plan to use them for elk from my 270

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back