PEAX Equipment

MT Swan 2017

406LIFE

Anyone else draw? Been three years, building up points since I went out. Maybe do a HT Swan Hunt? I got the dekes...

I drew on my first time applying. I put my name in the hat just cause I'm near Freezeout now!

The draw is that limited in MT? Must be for the PF side? I know ND and SD had leftovers, I would guess MT would to with the increase in the CF?

I drew this year! Don't know what to do now, except head over to Freezeout. I've got a canoe and some old Canada goose decks, I was going to paint white. I know swans are huge, but how tough are they? I've got my regular 12 ga. 3" gun that I do most of my waterfowling with. I also have my dad's 10 Ga. I'm wondering if the 10ga with Heavy Metal #2's would be good to get more pellets out? I'd be attempting to shoot in head/neck.

I drew again this year... I have done it three times over at Freezout. Never used a deke and had pretty quick success each time. Pretty much just sit back with the binos for an hour or so and watch the birds do bird stuff, and then pick a likely ambush point and hunker in. Maybe I have just been lucky, but it has never taken me more than an afternoon. They really are cool birds though and I always look forward to it.

We have them everywhere and no season. I've often wondered how big of a thud or splash one of those would make. How close to geese do they taste?

Elkwhisper- Do you flush them off the lake and shoot them or how do you go about stalking them?

@zootown You're 12ga with BB or BBB will do fine. They are huge birds, so estimating range will be tough if you haven't done it before. (PM me. I'm guessing youre in missoula and you can tag along with me.)

@golfer If you go to Freezeout, you can sit on the dikes and just pass shoot. Decoys are not needed, but they do help.

@icebreaker The draw is limited. About 1200 put in for the Pacific Flyway which gets you into Freezeout Lake where they congregate. You can also shoot a trumpeter there... The CF always has tags left over but its more difficult to locate them over there.

I have killed quite a few and only two were not taken over decoys. They decoy easily and if you hit them in the neck/head, easy to kill. Last year I was duck hunting and added a couple swan decoys. I couple came in quiet and I didn't have time to swap out shells. 2 3/4" 3 shot put him dead in the water no problem. As for taste, my favorite recipe is jerky. ;)

I drew a tag this year as well! I drew one two years ago but I wasn't able to spend much time up near Freezeout. I never got a chance at a clean shot where the pellets may have hit another. Last year while duck hunting I had numerous fly about 20 yds overhead. I've also seen some with neckbands which would add to the experience if you got that lucky!
Anybody know the water situation up there? With this rain we got I'm hoping the water level will be close to normal. I normally hunt from my kayak and it was too low last year to even launch it.

Goose egg for me for the third year in a row. Bummer. I shot one at Freeze Out and can't wait to do it again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back