Caribou Gear

Squirrel!

1_pointer

My two boys, Hank, and I spent most of the Labor Day Weekend at our cabin doing cabin type things. Planting food plots, cutting down maple trees, building fires, shooting bows and guns, and of course did a bit of squirrel hunting. After a couple big helpings of bisquits and sausage gravy we headed out the old logging road/trail above the cabin. Walk 20-30yds. Sit. Look. Listen. Repeat. On the second one we spot limbs moving that dad is convinced is a squirrel, but with the foliage on we never laid eyes on him. About 20mins later, Youngest tells dad he has to poop and dad realizes he's not packing any TP... So, I set up Oldest with the 10/22 on some sticks as we were hearing a squirrel cutting nuts a head with directions on what to do. Having passed hunter's ed last month, I felt comfortable he'd be safe and follow directions. Youngest and I head back towards the cabin so bidness can be taken care off. About 40yds back down the trail I hear a squirrel cutting CLOSE. Youngest confirms that the situation is not dire, so we move towards the sound. I finally find the noise maker laid out on a limb. The 20ga is a bit too much for Youngest to handle, so I shoot and drop that one.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

The tree tops came alive with squirrels moving all over the hickories and beech trees. Over about the next 2 mins I see and shoot two more. Youngest is stoked and tells me he doesn't have to poop any more, so we move back to where we left Oldest. He was following directions as told and proceeds to tell me he was just getting ready to shoot one when I shot the second time, spooking his off! :D We proceed down the trail to another hickory. This one has a fox squirrel in it, who after a bit of waiting came down a grape vine and offered a shot. Bang. Bang. I think Oldest got a bit too excited and didn't aim as fine as he should with the 20ga. A while later and a 100yds further down the trail we spot another gray squirrel who offered a short shot window that didn't pan out either. Summoning some knowledge from his Hunter's Ed Class, Oldest asks me what choke the shotgun had and I replied, "Modified". "Well, if that was a cylinder choke I would have had a better chance at hitting those squirrels", he stated pretty matter of factly. About that time the wind picked up just a bit and the neighbors decided to start their motorcross 100 routine so seeing or hearing squirrels became tough so we packed it in for the day.

Here are my two pards with the day's take:

Oldest assumed the duties of being a living gambrel and held the squirrels for me to get them cleaned and was very proud to offer me the use of his pocket knife that he had bought. It was a good day...

Great stuff! I used to spend nearly every day in the woods during squirrel season. I haven't hunted them seriously for years.

Did Hank get to retrieve the squirrels?
No. I'd like to try it though. However, I don't think I can keep him "contained" well enough to just stay near me until after the shot. I learned this weekend WE have some obedience work to do...

I think that would be some fantastic work for him, very similar to duck hunting. Make him sit (restrain him if needed) until the shot, then release him (physically and verbally) for the retrieve.

awesome job 1_pointer, how are the plots shaping up this year?

I think that would be some fantastic work for him, very similar to duck hunting. Make him sit (restrain him if needed) until the shot, then release him (physically and verbally) for the retrieve.
Squirrel season runs until the end of Feb so I just may have to give that a try! Especially later season when the leaves are down. We worked a bit on sit/stay/heel last night as well as waiting to be released to retrieve the dummy. I was happy with how he did. Very similar to my boys, his excitement can get the best of him at first... :D

Kenton-
Not as well as I had wanted. I had high hopes as they looked great early in the summer, but they got very weedy since then. The winter rye mature and set seed, so I'm hoping some of that grows. Still a lot of clover, but it's a bit covered up. I over seeded with more winter rye and some red clover and forage chicory. I then cultipacked everything down to cover the seed and for site lines. Boy do I wish I had a mower/bush hog! With some rain I think I should have plenty of groceries.

This was in May. Most everything you see is what I wanted and what I planted. Winter rye and clovers.

Same plot this weekend. My son's a skosh over 5' tall. Quite the change...

Still lots of good stuff underneath the tall weeds.

One bright spot, was that a screen I planted to keep prying eyes off one of the plots came in very well!!

Good Job Tyler! Did the Yellow Jackets come looking for some blood? Seems like every time I used to skin a squirrel those dang things would swarm my squirrel as I skinned it. John

Not during the squirrel skinning, but something got inside my shirt while hand cutting some goldenrod that lit me up!!

That May pic is awesome. I will say be careful letting rye go to seed, it puts out a ton more seed than what was planted. Probably won't be a problem but if it takes off, it could choke out all the clover. Screen looks great.

I'd be very fine with the rye taking over if that means the weeds are kept at bay! That's one of 3 plots stair stepped on a powerline ROW. All were in about the same condition. Here's a pic from last year showing all 3. The UTV is in the top one and we place the ground blind in the left corner of the one furthest away (lowest on the hill).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back