Squirrel!

Yep. With a bit of weed smashing with the cultipacker there's a shootable line of site from the bottom to the middle to the top. Now that we can use rifles in Indiana, all three can be covered from one spot. Even if not feeding, deer cross along these benches pretty regularly anyway. I keep enough tall stuff along the edges and in patches so it's not completely wide open. I like it for the boys as it's easy to see them and easier to pick your shots vs. in the woods. A secondary benefit is that our woods (~35ac worth) has be somewhat of a sanctuary/no go zone. No one really hunts it and that less disturbance there seems to have helped with daylight deer sightings.

Last edited:
It works well for hunting with youngsters. Two weeks and we'll be giving it a try for the youth firearms season.

I didn't know Indiana had an early season youth firearms season. That's cool, good luck.

That program's only a few years old. It's the full weekend before 10/1; when bow season opens for the whole state. The last 3 years my oldest has filled a tag during that weekend. Hope the youngest (or both!) can continue that tradition this year.

Very nice stuff indeed. I like seeing familiar terrain on this site from time to time. I've been out a couple of times for short evenings with a squirrel gun here in the Morgan/Monroe areas. The trips always turn into deer scouting, with out much regard for all the squirrels that are pretty well covered above.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back