Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Awesome public land bear hunt and trichinosis question

1982davew

My two boys (14 and 15) killed their first bears this weekend along with a buddy of mine on a public land Colorado hunt. The two biggest boars are well over the B&C minimum. I heard Randy mention on the podcast that you can send a sample in testing the bears for trichinosis. Any idea where I can find more info on how and where to do that?

IMG_20170902_091139495_HDR-01.jpgIMG_20170903_112118632-01.jpgIMG_20170903_120259586-01.jpg

Contact your local university for testing. What would/will you do different if the test is pos or neg? The answer is nothing. Best to assume all bears have tric. Tric is easily killed at a low temp so just don't eat it pink.

Great memories made with your boys!!

If you want to test them, I'd start by contacting Colorado Parks & Wildlife and see if they offer that service. If cooked thoroughly the trichinosis shouldn't be an issue, I keep big game fairly rare - except for bear meat. When you start hearing stories about trichinosis it does make you wonder. See what Parks & Wildlife have to say and congrats on some great looking bears.

Like everyone else says, cook it well done. No jerky. The good thing about bear meat is it's not like other wild game that tastes better rare. Congrats on some great memories!

Pretty much covered above. Cook it well and enjoy. I wouldn't bother getting it tested. Try different things like ham, bacon, or sausage. I just treat it like pork. BTW, bear meat is some of the most sought-after in our house. Congrats!!

Those are some great bears. The color changes on the top one are spectacular. Hopefully a rug is on the way!!!

I've had the hams and shoulders smoked and cured just like fresh pork. Cook as you would a good ham and use a meat thermometer for the thicker cuts. Go to 165°, don't take a chance. The meat is delicious. GJ

Congrats on the bears. I hunt them every year, so we eat a lot of bear in our house, but we are careful to cook it to 165 (or just well-browned for the ground stuff). I think it dies around 140, so 165 is safe. You can safely assume that any bear over the age of 5 will be trich positive, so I really don't see the point in getting it tested.

Back