Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Western States Fires Altering Plans?

I'm a small business owner. I pay about 33% of my total business income to taxes. If you're paying 90%, you have an awful accountant.

How many Democrats voted for Bernie? How many of you guys voted for Bernie? Bernie was advocating for up to a 90% tax rate. The writing is on the wall where this country is heading. Who in their right mind would make a big business investment right now, especially in an industry that is demonized like the timber industry? I'll spend my time and effort defending the businesses that are left.

How many Democrats voted for Bernie? How many of you guys voted for Bernie? Bernie was advocating for up to a 90% tax rate. The writing is on the wall where this country is heading. Who in their right mind would make a big business investment right now, especially in an industry that is demonized like the timber industry? I'll spend my time and effort defending the businesses that are left.

Do you dance professionally, or just on the internet? ;)

I don't see much demonization of timber. If anything, I see an industry that even the moderate conservation groups are trying to hold up and help. Regardless, we're far off topic.

Weyerhaeuser has shut down access this season. In Montana, that means 6 million acres are off limits.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-to-extreme-forest-fire-danger-300514000.html

Not a Democrat.

However, I think the Bernie 90% thing was asked to him in an interview and then blew up.

Sanders rate proposed for income in the top bracket was 52%, not 90%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthon...n-nations-rich-recoil-in-horror/#483c4c515f76

It is still high, but for the sake of intellectual honesty this designation must be made.

Bernies plan for businesses was to lower the corporate tax rates and prevent tax dodging.

https://berniesanders.com/the-sanders-corporate-tax-reform-plan/

When we conjecture about how we can mitigate wildfires by increasing logging, opening the mills, changing the lumber trade agreements, stopping all the frivolous litigation, thinning and cleaning our forests, and such attempts ... Mother Nature merely smiles and once again is amused at the egocentric silly self-aggrandizement of man.

I would hope the minds could meet and figure ways that can minimize the adverse effects of harvesting of timber while maintaining the tranquility of OUR lands. I don't know to what extent fires may be reduced by use of enhanced forestry methods, however I am aware of hotshots, wildland firefighters and smoke jumpers whom shared the value of old logging roads for access and tactical routing. I personally don't have the skill to know if thinning forests help or not... I would be interested to know the internal studies... until then, I'll join the crew of opinions on what I believe.
I believe those old roads work pretty good for my hunting. The regrowth within the cuts have value for the wildlife (and my hunting). I think thinning opens much better shooting lanes for my skill-filled archery. I believe fire wise, the old roads work to enable better fire access for making firebreaks or support. I believe the loggers will have jobs and mills will have a re-birth for our communities left jobless.

I believe... :) I'm just a ramblin' man... Best to your hunting, Straight Arrow. I like your thoughts about Ms. Mother Nature. :)

Do you dance professionally, or just on the internet? ;)

I don't see much demonization of timber. If anything, I see an industry that even the moderate conservation groups are trying to hold up and help. Regardless, we're far off topic.

Weyerhaeuser has shut down access this season. In Montana, that means 6 million acres are off limits.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-to-extreme-forest-fire-danger-300514000.html
Your link says closed until further notice, Ben. Not shut down for the season.

Not a Democrat.

However, I think the Bernie 90% thing was asked to him in an interview and then blew up.

Sanders rate proposed for income in the top bracket was 52%, not 90%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthon...n-nations-rich-recoil-in-horror/#483c4c515f76

It is still high, but for the sake of intellectual honesty this designation must be made.

Bernies plan for businesses was to lower the corporate tax rates and prevent tax dodging.

https://berniesanders.com/the-sanders-corporate-tax-reform-plan/

Link to 90% interview.

https://youtu.be/JdiYPgN_EbA

Not shut down for the season.
More dancing, BHR ... only to stumble slightly. The archery season has started. "Weyerhaeuser has shut down access this season." Not to imply shut-down is forever. Quit trying to nitpick pick a fight with your bumper car dance.

Smoke and fires are making us all a bit touchy.

Your link says closed until further notice, Ben. Not shut down for the season.

Pedantics, like patriotism, is a last refuge for scoundrels. :)

Regardless, Weyerhaeuser is shutting down access due to fire conditions, until such a time as they decide to open them, charge for them, or otherwise do differently than Plum Creek.

6 million acres that Montanans have traditionally been able to access for free. If you don't believe that will change hunting plans for thousands of us, you are sorely mistaken.

Stimson and nature conservancy lands are also shut down to public until further notice. Need the rain.

You guys make it way too complicated. Simply pass new legislation banning lightning during thunderstorms and mandate that it rains at least one inch every month of the year of forested acreage and the problem will be solved. #duh, #easy solution.

To the OP's original question. Yes, fires are affecting my hunting plans. With a fire burning 5 miles from my house and 400 yards of visibility the past two days, I'm not very excited about leaving to go on the hunt I've planned all year. Thankfully, at this point the fire has been moving steadily further from me instead of closer.

You guys make it way too complicated. Simply pass new legislation banning lightning during thunderstorms and mandate that it rains at least one inch every month of the year of forested acreage and the problem will be solved. #duh, #easy solution.

To the OP's original question. Yes, fires are affecting my hunting plans. With a fire burning 5 miles from my house and 400 yards of visibility the past two days, I'm not very excited about leaving to go on the hunt I've planned all year. Thankfully, at this point the fire has been moving steadily further from me instead of closer.

Give Ms. Nature the bird by placing lightning rods, disguised as cell towers with metal look a like branches every square acre... Mwahahaha! :D

Yes my plans have been changed due to the smoke, my wife was going but has recently been in the hospital with double pneumonia so she's out. We were headed to Jefferson City to stay with her sister and husband, he is taking me hunting. We were going to leave Western Ky. on the 15th. she doesn't want me driving 25 hours by myself but luckily 3 of my coworkers had booked a guided hunt in Big Timber area the 22nd. So, 2 are riding out with me and I'm dropping them off and headed to hunt 5 days! Praying you guys get some relief from the heat and dry conditions!

There is something to be said for letting nature manage herself. If people would be reasonable about where they build their homes and businesses, the urgency of managing fires wouldn't be such a big deal. Burns are part of natures way and should be allowed to do their part to keep the land fertile.

Blackfoot Challenge has shut down their Conservation area/BMA until further notice:

21318880_1276418809136060_7278150170601729927_o.jpg

FYI Montana: This morning a mandatory evacuation order was issued for residents of HWY 200 between mile marker 93-97 due to increased threat (East of Lincoln). Not sure if the HWY is open...

Still up in the air whether or not our hunt will happen here next week in the BOB. Should hear back from the Forest service and our outfitter this evening.
Meanwhile does anyone in the are have any pictures of the wildfires out there? Im a structural firefighter here on the other side of the states and most of the "wildfires" I have dealt with were cornfields and small easily contained ones. I would be interested in seeing pictures to have an idea of what to expect when I come out there.

Still up in the air whether or not our hunt will happen here next week in the BOB. Should hear back from the Forest service and our outfitter this evening.
Meanwhile does anyone in the are have any pictures of the wildfires out there? Im a structural firefighter here on the other side of the states and most of the "wildfires" I have dealt with were cornfields and small easily contained ones. I would be interested in seeing pictures to have an idea of what to expect when I come out there.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5401/

Where is the outfitter setting? PM if you would prefer not to share publicly (I would not... :) ). I have a couple contacts that scout the Bob.

Good news! We are able to be relocated north into unit 151. So rifle hunt during the rut is still on! Might be tougher hunting but looking forward to it. I jump in the 84 chevy blazer tomorrow and Head west! After that initial week I will be solo backpack hunting. Cant wait!
Hopefully the smoke doesnt make the grizzly bears I hear about more irritable.

The Lolo Peak fire is wrecking my plans to hunt Idaho ahead of Montana. The National Forest Closure currently surrounds an area I have hunted quite a bit and was planning to this year.

Lolo Peak Fire.jpg

Yes, the Norse Peak Wilderness fire wiped out my original plans. Spent 3 Day Scouting other places. Plan B was an area 16miles in on forrest roads up pretty high. I had found several elk up there. Made a decision to scrap plan B after looking at the forecast for a lot of snow. Ended up hunting 1500ft lower and finally figured out where to be on the 7th day of the season. Check out the thread... https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...E-Washington-Public-Land&highlight=Washington

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back