Black bear question...

aj427ci

Hunting a unit in Colorado for bear. Been researching fall behavior and knowing what the local bears are doing, but where I'm hunting there arent alot of berries or oak brush for them to eat. Where would you target bears in higher country

There's alot of variables to you question, but I see bears everywhere. I have even seen them down in the orchards in the Grand Junction Area. The do like the oak brush though.

I'm hunting unit 66... I've hunted this unit for 15 years off and on for elk and have only seen bear tracks once. I know I have low odds for finding a bear but I also know that there are some around. I got the tag to have a better motivating excuse to scout for elk lol

Right on. Well good luck out there. I have never been able to consistently find bears. LOL, I usually just happen into them. I'm sure there's some guys on here that can give you better advice than I can.

Can't say that I've ever hunted bears in Colorado, but I have to assume their habits are similar to our Wyoming bears. Just from my own personal experience, here's what I'd throw out there. I'm not a bear biologist, so I could be totally out to lunch on all of this, but I do manage to kill bears.

They eat a lot the ENTIRE season, not just in the fall; they start "putting on fat for the winter" as soon as they wake up in the spring. That means you need to find a food source.

They drink a lot of water, so you need to find a water source. Could be very small, but I really think they prefer clean water.

Most (um, all) of the dens that I have located have been in the nastiest, rockiest, most blown-down, steepest, north-facing slopes you can imagine. Find a few of those areas.

Bears do roam a bit, but really not much compared to other big game. Find all three of the items above, and you'll be getting into bears.

Last point: there's a big difference between finding a spot where bears are likely to be and finding a spot where you'll be able to kill one. In any sort of thick cover, you'll almost never be able to get the drop on one. Try to find an area where they have to cross a meadow, avalanche slide, or open south-facing slope in order to move between food/water/shelter, and you'll be in business.

Last last point: in some areas, the bears are almost entirely nocturnal, so there's going to be a bit of luck involved, or at the very least, plan on taking a shot right at last light.

Good luck and good hunting.

If all of that fails, just read the boy scout manual about how to keep bears out of your camp, and do the opposite. :)

I run into them around springs in the higher country in fall. Before the snow flies anyway. After that I have no idea where they go. They're pretty elusive. Cool animals.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back