Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ER Visit and Frustration

cpoplayer

Thursday morning about 2 miles into my 3 miles walk I began to experience some shortness of breath and a mild twinge of pain in my chest. The chest pain didn't last long but, after two very stressful days at work Thursday and Friday, the shortness of breath and tightness in my chest remained. Saturday morning I woke up to go for my hike and the shortness of breath was still there. I began to worry and anxiety took over making my symptoms worse. My wife suggested (told me I had no choice) we go to the ER.

After 5 hours in the ER, several EKGs, and several vials of blood, they determined I was not having a heart attack. But, they recommend I have a stress test to determine if my heart is getting enough oxygen during exercise. Unfortunately, they couldn't give me the stress test since it was the weekend and I have to wait until next week.

So here I am 5 weeks away from my Wyoming trip not knowing what's going on with my body. I have worked so hard getting in shape and prepping for my trip and now, I'm stuck in limbo. My wife who was already concerned about me going solo is even more worried now.

Pending the outcome of the stress test, I may be worrying about nothing. Regardless, I am still very frustrated this evening!

As they say, "And this day too shall pass".

Stress is a tough pill to put in check though it can be done. Work on it with the dedication related to workouts and hopefully WY will be within reach. Not discounting the stress test... get it done though life is too short to "stress" over it. ;)

Ya, I know, it's easy to coach from the stands... I went through an event that left me appreciating each minute of life for I'll never have that minute again. I focus on that what I get my crabbiness on...

That sucks to hear. I hope all goes well with the stress test.

Any chance it's something like an anxiety (panic) attack?

While working in Mexico on an extended program launch, I ended up with panic attacks. I knew nothing about them and thought I was having a heart attack. In the end the only solution for me was a job change and things finally returned to normal. All the best as you sort through this situation.

After 5 hours in the ER, several EKGs, and several vials of blood, they determined I was not having a heart attack.

Pending the outcome of the stress test, I may be worrying about nothing. Regardless, I am still very frustrated this evening!

1st things 1st, not having a heart attack goes in the "win" column.

Worrying about nothing is still worrying. If there is no medical basis for your symptoms, you will likely get a referral to a mental health provider. Ignore the stigma, go hear what a therapist suggests. Antidepressant meds are often prescribed to reduce anxiety symptoms. Research says cognitive behavioral therapy works as well as meds, without side effects. Many anxious people can learn to turn down their adrenaline w simple techniques and some supportive coaching. Hard to say if you are dealing w anxiety. If not, good deal. If you are, it won't go away on its own.

Thanks for the support everyone! My dad died of a heart attack 4 years ago. He never said a word to any of us. We found out after his death he had mentioned his symptoms to a friend over a year before the heart attack. That is probably the reason for some of the anxiety I felt. I feel much better today. Thanks again!

Praying everything is alright. I had a round with chest pains caused by stress and anxiety. I had a really stressful job at the time. What cured me was a career change and exercise.

Get your health right, a missed season isn't the worst thing in the world. Just like Randy says,"
our health will probably run out before our wealth"

Stress sucks but don't ignore it. There are very real impacts on our bodies and minds from it. Look at all your options. Listen to what the docs say. Talk to non MD type medical folks (Eastern medicine/acupuncture etc..). Evaluate your whole life. What stress sources do you have (good stress and bad stress). Sometimes our bodies are quite good at telling us we need to change something. A hunt isn't worth the risk if there is a real problem. If there isn't then a hunt is probably going to do you good.

Stress is a killer.
I had a heart attack after years of stress caught up with me 6 yrs after taking early retirement from at times ,a very stressful job,after a stressfull life before. Idillic settings can be deceiving too....LOL.
I lucked out with no permanent damage & another life.

cpoplayer,
If it were me I would follow my doctors advice and have the necessary tests prior to my trip. If nothing more was revealed, I would go but with a different mindset. One that would allow me to enjoy my time on my hunt without the typical pressure I tend put on myself. Maybe spending a bit more time in camp or just finding a place to sit and glass instead of trying to make in to another peak or drainage that day. Oh wait, that is already where I'm at now and what I plan to do on my Wyoming hunt...

I am NOT a doctor, but I have chronic GI issues and the symptoms can mirror heart issues. I only mention this so you can talk with your doc about it if you have GI issues as well.

My wife was having these symptoms and it ended up being a gall bladder. We had the paramedics at the house and I was ready to have her committed until a friend asked us about her having the gall bladder tested. She had it removed and the symptoms are vastly improved and yet I still want her committed. In all seriousness, I hope you get it figured out before you go. We are 8 days away and I am dealing with inner ear infections and dizziness for the past week that has killed my training and then there is this impending hurricane.

I hope you get it all sorted out. I have an extra heart beat that comes and goes with stress in my life so maybe you are having the same type of issue. I don't get the shortness of breath though. I have had EKG, stess tests, stress echo's...etc.etc.. Luckily, it's all in my head so the doctors said. :) This is another reason though I prefer to not hunt alone out west.

I had a fake heart attack, twice. ER, EKG, stress test, etc. After about 20 hours and a cpl thousand dollars the first time, they shrugged and sent me home. Called my family doc and he diagnosed it in 10 seconds over the phone. Pericarditis; 800mg ibuprophen 4x day for a week.

Thanks again for the support ya'll. I called and scheduled my stress test for Friday. After talking with my wife, it looks like I am going to push the hunt back a week so the whole family can go. That is IF the doctors give me the all clear. If not, I wonder how healthy tag soup is???

I wouldn't worry about missing this season (worse case scenario), because if you were to have a heart attack and die . . . . . You'll miss a lot more seasons. Get your health checked and fixed if need be.

Praying for the best for you (and your wife :))

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back