Crossbows OUCH!

So at this late date; This thread got hijacked right out of the gate. I. Wasn't asking for feelings about crossbows or permission. I'm nearly 70 and have hunted since I was 9. It sould be clear that I know who I am. I was asking for options for those of us that are planning to keep hunting. One gentleman offered the draw loc possibility which was helpful for options in the future. Many comments were understanding and supportive and that was appreciated. Those that would suggest quitting well you may lack fire in your belly. This isn't a hobby for me, it is my passion. As to guys with no arms or one arm shooting, great. Can you do it? Nuff said...
Good hunting to all and have fun this season. I will be in the elk country of Wyoming in two days with this year's solution.

Good luck! I respect you for still getting after them anyway you can. We head to WY in 4 days. God bless

If you guys can't draw a vertical bow due to injuries or disability and you still want to hunt, then good on you!! My only issue with crossbows is able bodied men who CAN draw a vertical using them in archery seasons. Good on you guys for continuing to hunt! I only hope I'm still alive and hunting even 20 years younger than you guys!

You'll be surprised, John. You'll last longer than you think if your heart is in it. You'll slow down and make compromises, but that's still better than laying on the couch and dreaming about it.

Elk hunting keeps my mind young. Even if my body is falling apart.

If you guys can't draw a vertical bow due to injuries or disability and you still want to hunt, then good on you!! My only issue with crossbows is able bodied men who CAN draw a vertical using them in archery seasons. Good on you guys for continuing to hunt! I only hope I'm still alive and hunting even 20 years younger than you guys!

C'mone man, quit being a hater. I've got a friend that says the same thing. He also uses a flintlock and an open sight 30-30. I'm proud for him that he can stand to do it but I always wonder what its for. If it gives him some sort of satisfaction great, I hope he gets it. As for me, I'll use my crossbow, shoot my smokeless inline muzzleloader, and use my .270 which will shoot way better than I can. To each his own but legal methods are legal methods. I'm not sure where all the anger towards crossbows comes from. Maybe somebody can enlighten an inbred southern xbow user since the op is on his hunt and the thread is already hijacked.

I live in Ca. and have had a Disabled archery permit for about 6 years that allows me to use a crossbow here during archery season. For the first 2 years I had the permit all of my archery hunting friends thought I was wrong to have a permit. I didn't even buy a crossbow for 3 years. Finally a couple of guys asked why? It was their attitude. I did finally buy an Excalibur Vortex and started archery hunting with them again. They have all shot my crossbow and basically they hate it. Past 50 yards they shoot circles around me with 70 pound compounds. Most have 75 yard pins, that is not even thinkable with my Excalibur. I have been told it isn't really archery hunting when I carry a crossbow. I thought the hunting part was in the ability to get within 40-50 yards or closer of the game. Be it by sitting in a stand or sneaking on your game you still have to get close. True I am already cocked and can take my time aiming but I have zero chance at a follow up shot if I miss and the buck doesn't run away. Each hunting method has it's advantages and disadvantages. My first shot at a deer I missed badly because I didn't think I had time to range him and I shot over. How is that different than a guy with a compound? You get the range wrong you miss. It isn't a rifle.
Something else to think about for those that feel once you can no longer be tough enough to hunt you should just give it up. Where do you draw the line? When you can't hike 10 miles? When you can no longer carry a boned out buck in one trip? For me I would like to hunt with my grandchildren and I intend to. I used to hate guys on quads, now I own one. Life changes and you adapt or quit, up to you but for me I now carry a crossbow.

C'mone man, quit being a hater. I've got a friend that says the same thing. He also uses a flintlock and an open sight 30-30. I'm proud for him that he can stand to do it but I always wonder what its for. If it gives him some sort of satisfaction great, I hope he gets it. As for me, I'll use my crossbow, shoot my smokeless inline muzzleloader, and use my .270 which will shoot way better than I can. To each his own but legal methods are legal methods. I'm not sure where all the anger towards crossbows comes from. Maybe somebody can enlighten an inbred southern xbow user since the op is on his hunt and the thread is already hijacked.

If it's legal roll with it. When Xbows were legalized in FL two years ago I was pissed. I was afraid it would decimate the herd. Honestly the deer density here is so low and the terrain so nasty that not many hunters here have the skills to find deer consistently and those that can find them could do it with a bow just as easily. And for certain the weekend warriors with their Xbows aren't killing mature deer. I have not seen a single mature deer at the check station that was killed by an Xbow hunter. I hear it easier to kill deer up north and out west then here in the southeast, but I hunt KY every year and with the exception of the rut it ain't that easy to kill a mature buck....does and youngens are another story. Heck it ain't that easy during rut or I would have a wall full of booners. If guys were really looking for an edge muzzleloader is the time to be in the field here. First guns in the woods before gets all crazy and I'm lethal out to 200 yards with my smokepole.

OOOH! one of my favorite topics. What about a self-made crossbow? I've been trying to get my dad (3-time brain surgery survivor) to get a crossbow so we can hunt the archery season together here in Wyoming. Just remember, the spear-throwing guys will always think the atlatl guys are cheating, and the blunt object guys will always think the spear-throwing guys are cheating.

Here is my update to this thread. I am OK that it went this direction BTW. We all have our opinions and I've been happy to hear yours. Though our opinions can take a turn when we are the one faced with the decision as I had made it clear in my original post that I had once frowned on X-bows too.
I bought an Excalibur 360. I hunted solo for 11 days in the Wyoming mountains.
Here are my takeaways;
My Matthews Chill SDX 60# weighs approximately 4 1/2 pounds. It's a pretty quiet bow though not as quiet as my Matthews 70# Switchback was. It is a breeze to carry in the mountains and short enough to weave through the timber with.
My X-bow weighs 10 pounds (as much as my Remington 700 300win mag). It is a cumbersome piece of equipment to carry in the mountains, wearing a pack, especially in the timber as it is shaped like a T. It is loud! Even with the Air-break system I installed I couldn't imagine taking a shot beyond 40 yards if an animal was looking (50 yards if not) but not so sure I would. A plus is it shoots at about 330 FPS and my Chill is about 275 FPS. A negative, I have to look down to load an arrow and just don't feel comfortable doing it. I can nock an arrow on my compound in my sleep. This is a one shot deal. I'm confident I would have a passthrough on a good shot with the X-Bow. My chill at 55# and 40 yards did not and I had to do a sneak on my last bull for a second shot.
The biggest positive: I got to be in the mountains during archery for 11 days (It would have been longer but the weather just would not give me a break. Different choices for this older solo hunter hiking icy trails etc).
Yes, I saw elk on more than one occasion, all cows. Had a cow broadside at 40 yards that I'm confident I could have killed. She wasn't what I was after. I will be heading back with a buddy mid week for rifle season. It will be a great to get back up there.
Looks like I will be having my shoulders replaced in the near future. I am getting a second opinion after the season. Also sounds like no more compound bows after, due to the stress placed on the replacement joints. If someone has been through it and is back shooting their compound please comment...
Good hunting and safe travels...

Some have mentioned able bodied bow hunters should stick a bow unless they are disabled. If able bodied guys don't have or take the time to become proficient with a bow the last thing I want is for those guys shooting at game during the season. I think the fallacy is believing guys that aren't proficient won't go hunting and I don't think that's the case. Let them use crossbows.

Glad to hear the trip went well. I think your observations are spot on with what I've found. Most importantly I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. It may be the same outcome but it never hurts to double check on serious things such as a joint replacement. Good luck on the next segment of your elk hunt

Here's my update. I thought long and hard about the xbow and decided I didn't want to deal with the flak i'd get from other hunters. I have a short fuse and i'm way too old to get in a fight now.

So, i'll stick to the old Hawken, PRB, and real black powder. Old school enough for me. With my crap vision I have to get within 25-30yds. So, now it's me who can rag on the inline guys taking 200yd shots. Not that i do, but the option is there. :)

i've never had anything personally against crossbows, to each his own, i own a Stryker 350, which for the most part is a high maintenance piece, so i've been sticking to my my compound for the last few seasons. the positive side of a crossbow is it gives people more opportunities to hunt, where either through age, past injuries, physical abilities or a different season. when used properly they do well with being able to make an ethical kill. if one is inclined to invest in a crossbow, be prepared to lay out some serious cash and definitely invest in either a Excalibur or a Tenpoint. since crossbows have been made legal to hunt with here in NJ, those 2 brands i've just mentioned rarely if ever have any issues, i've talked to many archery pro shop personnel and all have told me the same thing.

Sytes, I'm with you. With a medically disadvantaged Archer they qualify.
Preloaded, mounted scope, shot from a rest or bench, buttstock, forestock....and now they advertise 100 yd. accuracy. They belong in rifle season.
Only my 2cents.

I have always been in the "only for medical reasons" crowd as far as crossbows in regular archery seasons goes, but the first time I went to hog hunt S. GA with a crossbow I wanted to wrap it around a tree. They are cumbersome, heavy and noisy. A short ATA bow strapped sideways on a rifle is not a pleasure to carry anywhere.

After that I couldn't care less anymore. Those physically fit to do so will most likely prefer a compound after a few days afield with a crossbow anyway... Good luck to all out there, and glad to hear the OP got after it. You only need approval from you!

I have always been in the "only for medical reasons" crowd as far as crossbows in regular archery seasons goes, but the first time I went to hog hunt S. GA with a crossbow I wanted to wrap it around a tree. They are cumbersome, heavy and noisy. A short ATA bow strapped sideways on a rifle is not a pleasure to carry anywhere.

After that I couldn't care less anymore. Those physically fit to do so will most likely prefer a compound after a few days afield with a crossbow anyway... Good luck to all out there, and glad to hear the OP got after it. You only need approval from you!

I have been a handicap archer for about 4 years. I had the paperwork from the state a lot longer than that but didn't really want to go to a crossbow. At first my archery buddies all thought of it as cheating. 5-6 of those guys have had the chance to shoot my crossbow at the range or in camp and not one of them would trade their compound for my crossbow. They all hate shooting it. They are heavy, they are awkward, they are noisy and so on and so on. My arrows (bolts) drop like a rock after about 50 yards. Most of my hunting buddies have 70 yard pins in their compounds. 70 yards for me is way out of the question. I shoot an Excalibur and if you listen to most Excalibur shooters 40 yards is about the limit. I know you see advertisements with guys shooting way further than that but I see good compound bow guys shooting targets at over a 100 yards too. For hunting we all know that is not practical or ethical. I have hunted 4 seasons with my crossbow and taken one buck. I have missed high as well as low because I didn't get the yardage correct or because I just screwed up. It is not a gun. You have to get within range and I thought getting in range was called hunting so I still have to "hunt" like any other archer. True I may already be at full draw but other than being at full draw and not having to hold full draw there isn't enough difference in hunting to matter. You however will never get a follow up shot if you miss and the buck just takes 3 steps and looks back at you. Ask me how I know that. Too slow to load and way too noisy.

I have a CO Dr's permit for xbow during archery. Carrying and drawing a bow (trad, yes!! compound sorta) would be much better than toting my 7# xbow. My effective range is 50ish yards w open sights, I can use a 1x red dot on it this year, I don't expect anything approaching 100 yd accuracy. Maybe 60.

I knew a guy that was missing his right arm at the shoulder. He shot a longbow by drawing with a leather tab and his teeth. He shot as much game as most able body archers. I sure he would have been happy to have a sore right shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back