Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Crossbows OUCH!

Western Traveler1

Well it has happened. I am curious if there are other archery hunters here that have finally reached this point and what did you do?
I admit for years I have looked down on crossbows as not really archery, kind of how many long bow hunters feel about compounds (I'm on my 5th compound bow) Archery season and September Elk woods are irreplaceable,
Two years ago in the Spring I couldn't draw my 70# bow set at 60# though 4 months prior I was pulling 65#. I replaced it with a 60# for a Arizona Elk hunt that year (10 year wait) and shot my elk pulling 55# (a nearly $1800 dollar bow investment when all was said and done). No pass through, though he only went 20 yards before bedding down.
Now I am unable pull 50# and have a Wyoming Elk tag in hand (minimum weight 50#) and of course my Montana Elk tag. Went to the Orthopedist, bone on bone both shoulders and I am a candidate for two shoulder replacements, Just like That!
Bought a Excalibur crossbow for this hunt and relieved this tag will get hunted (another 10 year wait for this one).
Not sure what next year will hold as I am going to try to rehab my shoulders this winter but they are not optimistic I can.
Busy with Wyoming so I'm OK I didn't make the Montana opener today.

I reached that point the moment VA legalized them. THE ONLY ADVANTAGE a crossbow gives is a decrease in practice. I suppose if you are on the ground you gain the advantage of not having to draw. For me and my work schedule, I don't have the time needed to become proficient. Some call this lack of dedication, I call it lack of responsibilities for hunters that have the time. Good luck and have fun. Don't let anyone bring you down

My dad just started using a crossbow. I'm a fan. Wish I could legally use one. I'm not an elitist, so I'm happy using the most effective way of making the best kill. They do give you a bit extra reach over the compound, but I'm more impressed with how much more accurate you can consistently be at longer distances.

I've always looked down on them too. Lately, I must admit that I have given it some thought. Not that I'm incapable of drawing a bow, but it just seems that time/space to practice is limited. I'm not saying that you don't need to practice with a crossbow, but IMO a traditional bow or compound requires much more repetitions and muscle memory to be proficient. My archery hunting time is so limited right now that I cannot justify the expense. Just looking for an easy way out I guess.

If I was in your situation I wouldn't think twice about it.

I should say that I was originally opposed to them as well. My fondness of them came after seeing how good my dad can shoot with it. Certainly somebody in your situation shouldn't feel bad about it.

My dad is relegated to hunting bow season here in Ohio with a crossbow anymore. He used to be a natural shot with recurve, longbow, and compound but years of working with his hands and arms in repetitive duty has ruin his ability to draw and hold a bow. Many times in my youth I saw dad robin-hood arrows with his compound and shoot baseball sized groups at 40-50 yards. I don't begrudge his use of one any. He has killed some monster deer with both. I've used them on several occasions. I don't think that they have as many advantages as what many people think.

I have no problem with guys like you that physically can't. But I have a problem where they're viewed the same way as regular archery and anyone can use a crossbow during archery season without the doctors release.

I have a customer of mine that uses one. He's a carpenter. Swings a hammer everyday...he's able bodied. But he's lazy. The way he talks, he's a shooter...not a hunter.

I guess when we get older and can't pull the bow anymore we're justified to use a crossbow? When we get older and can't walk anymore or as far as when we were younger we should be allowed to drive to the places we used to walk too? I'm older now too and when I'm no longer able to pull my bow or bust my ass hunting on foot Ill gladly step aside and let the young guys and gals take over, or do the best I can for as long as I'm physically able. I see no reason to change the rules or regulations as they currently exist, but if crossbows for instance are now legal by all means go ahead and use them.

I have no issue with children or disabled people using a crossbow that can't shoot enough poundage for an ethical kill. What I have a problem with is able bodied men using one out of laziness, lack of or unwillingness of vertical bow practice. I see it on TV all the time where a show has a crossbow sponsor and guys that have no problem shooting a vertical bow run around shooting a crossbow. If you physically cannot draw a vertical bow, then. by all means shoot a crossbow. But if you're able bodied then hell no.

I don't know where you're planning to use it but I'm pretty sure that Montana has a very strict no crossbows in archery season. Even for disabled hunters. I believe the regs say you can use some modifications to help draw or hold, but it can't be a crossbow. And if you qualify to hunt with a modified bow, you're required to have another person with you to help with the field care of the animal.

I know Ohio has loosened up their crossbow rules and allows anyone to use a crossbow during archery season. The game commissioner eve said they're great because guys that don't have time to practice can shoot one accurately. I say if you're able bodied you should only be able to use them during ML seasons. And/or no scope.

For those that have trouble walking...rather than step aside in the field....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170903-214416.jpg
    Screenshot_20170903-214416.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,429
  • blog-therohogroup-com-299x300.jpg
    blog-therohogroup-com-299x300.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,426
Last edited:
I have a crossbow. I have not used it yet. I bought it last year with the hopes of using it in Wyoming some day. Just something different.

Well, last summer I had a chance to take a young lady antelope hunting in Wyoming (her dream). She shoots a bow, however, I knew that she was NOT good enough to make a 30 - 40 yard shot that might be required at a waterhole. She practiced with the crossbow in the summer and the first day in Wyoming she made a nice clean ethical shot on a buck.

I was very happy for her.

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog

I know Ohio has loosened up their crossbow rules and allows anyone to use a crossbow during archery season. The game commissioner eve said they're great because guys that don't have time to practice can shoot one accurately. I say if you're able bodied you should only be able to use them during ML seasons. And/or no scope.

Would you clarify the tracked ATV portion? I don't understand.

Thanks.

During archery season, I am not opposed to a crossbow's use related to medical needs. I wish there was a way to filter out those who abuse this medical practice however, I am a firm believer that we should not chop the tree down over a few bad apples.

If a state finds it should be legal whether medical disability or not - t'is the State's position. I don't look at a crossbow as an unethical device for hunting. I may not agree with it's use during archery season, aside from a medical disability.

When I could no longer fully draw my 35# recurve, I saw an ortho that specialized in shoulders. He said if I had seen him 20 years ago he could have helped, however now it is all over but the crying. W Dr's signature I got a CO permit to use xbow during archery. I have one of the lighter xbows, still weighs 7#. Until a year ago I had to use open sights, a new rule allows 1x scopes w no electronics on Xbows. My confidence range is 50 yards w the xbow. After the shot, it will be awhile before I can recock. So I'm not better off w xbow than when my shoulder was healthy, w a compound. @ least I can still hunt archery when the bugles are musical, and the leaves are gold and orange.

My 13 yr old son drew a WY elk tag (lucky bugger) this year. Because of school and other commitments, archery season will be easier to get time to hunt. My son is small for his age (88 lbs) and try as we might, there was no way he was going to be able to draw a bow. So we bought him a crossbow earlier this year and he has been practicing all Summer. I fully expect him to switch to a bow next year or the year after, but for this year I'm grateful that he'll get to hunt in Wyoming during the archery season. I think if you're physically not able to use a bow, and it's legal, a crossbow is a great alternative.

They've been legal for years in Ohio. I shot my first deer, a small doe, with one back in '88 when I was 10 years old. I shot my next deer, a 5 point, at 12 with a little bear compound that just barely met the draw weight limits. The only side effect I've noticed of their usage is more hunters afield during bow season. A disadvantage if you are a bow hunter with more people afield, but an advantage if you are trying to entice more people to hunt. I don't think they are a good idea for all game and all states though. With well over 800,000 deer in Ohio, and an annual harvest of over 150,000, our numbers can handle it. What they can't handle,IMHO, is the ODNR allowing 1 buck and 8 doe to be harvested per season like they were a few years back....especially without figuring out that crossbow use greatly increases the harvest rate. I'm glad to see the bag limits being lowered across Ohio again myself.

Last edited:
I figure legal method of take is legal method of take. It comes down to personal choice. I shot a winter league last season and there was a gentleman there with his recurve and a lock-a-draw. He shot quite well with the setup. My guess is he was in his 70's. Just another option to look into if you want to keep using your same bow. Don't know what folks opinions about the set up is but the way I figure it he is still out there shooting his bow. That's worth it in my eyes.

I have nothing against crossbows (crossguns), as they are a viable weapon that have their place in the pursuit of wild game. However, they are NOT archery by any means.....they are, however, a primitive weapon system.

Crossbows are not a bow and have no business being used in an archery season, period... just my opinion.

Back