Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY 2017 elk

BuzzH

Went out yesterday to snoop around to see what was going on with the elk.

Got a bunch of good video yesterday, and after watching elk behavior for half a day, and passing multiple easy opportunities, located a herd of 60-70 with some likely looking candidates for the freezer.

Stalked to 150 yards, watched them for a while and picked out a cow quite a ways from the main herd, figuring it had no calf.

Cycled a round into the 7-08, placed the leupold dot on the lower 1/3 of the body and sent a 140 AB on its way. As per always, bullet entered about dead center, cow went 30 yards and that was that.

The herd had no idea what was going on, just milled around and slowly made their way out of the area. Had another tag, but no reason to fill 2 this early in the season.

0901171533.jpg

While packing the 3rd quarter to the truck, had a "visitor" in the shade when I arrived. He was pretty boisterous and loud about his presence, so all was good. He was also gone when I got the last quarter to the truck.

0901171646a.jpg

You should have made the ratty help you pack.

Hard to get much better than a day like that.

Congrats, Buzz. I hope I get to the point where elk-hunting success is so methodical and consistent that I can write about it that way. I'm still learning.

The harder you work, the easier you make it seem Buzz. Congratulations on the groceries.

Either you are really good with horizon blurring, or you found a "mountain" animal in a very flat sage flat. Once again, congratulations

Congrats on some great eats. Success this early in the season takes any pressure that an empty freezer might add to you hunting this fall.

Way to go Buzz. You make shooting elk look as easy as shooting an antelope.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back