200 yd zero

I use 200 yard zero due to the BDC in my scopes either requiring/ or just liking it.
My Redfield Revenge require a 200 yard zero.
My Vortex Crossfire II's just like it. Aka the BDC is on if i use 200 yards as opposed to 100.

Upper end of the arc? Is that the mid range height? And after that do they start adjusting by moving the turret's? Sounds screwy to me but if it work's for them, more power to them. Some scope have hash marks that are suppose to be aiming point's at different yardages. How can they possibly determine the place for the marks on all rifle's like that? What do they call that zero at 200 yds program?

I have been using MPBR for a lot of years and I usually set it for a 6" target. The max range in fact the zero range is farther than I shoot to begin with.

DON & others: I will "only comment" on the hash marks in the scope. I have the Burris FULLFIELD... Ballistic Plex E1. 6.5 x 20. I love this scope.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...es-series/fullfield-e1-riflescope-6.5-20x50mm

It has the hash marks. The hash marks are NOT corresponding to a specific yardage. example 100, 200. 300 yards. The hash marks are only for reference once the rifle is sighted in to a specific yardage.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-plex-e1-mv

I sight my gun in at 100 yards. I then use an "APP" on my phone that tells me what each "hash" mark corresponds to. It is made by "Sterlok".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelok&hl=en

Really cool "APP". Input: scope model, zero distance, caliber, distance to target, wind speed and other things and it will give you a corresponding value for each "hash" mark. I have all five rifles saved and can pull up any distance in a matter of seconds.

For my .223...
first mark is 100
2nd is 150
3rd 218
4th 293
5th 375
6th456
7th 556

Cool APP. NOTE: I have not shot past 286 yards with the guns. Really nice when shooting P-dogs :)

good luck to all
the dog

This is an important point, regardless of where/how you initially zero, eventually shooting out 200 or 300 yds really starts to give you enough distance to see some of the smaller biases that may just look like normal variation at 100 yds.

Yes it is. I think maybe the way to go is get it set for MPBR and then shoot at 300 yds and adjust as needed. I never considered that before but it does make sense. Then I've only shot over about 200 yds once in my life, but I like the idea.

DON & others: I will "only comment" on the hash marks in the scope. I have the Burris FULLFIELD... Ballistic Plex E1. 6.5 x 20. I love this scope.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...es-series/fullfield-e1-riflescope-6.5-20x50mm

It has the hash marks. The hash marks are NOT corresponding to a specific yardage. example 100, 200. 300 yards. The hash marks are only for reference once the rifle is sighted in to a specific yardage.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-plex-e1-mv

I sight my gun in at 100 yards. I then use an "APP" on my phone that tells me what each "hash" mark corresponds to. It is made by "Sterlok".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelok&hl=en

Really cool "APP". Input: scope model, zero distance, caliber, distance to target, wind speed and other things and it will give you a corresponding value for each "hash" mark. I have all five rifles saved and can pull up any distance in a matter of seconds.

For my .223...
first mark is 100
2nd is 150
3rd 218
4th 293
5th 375
6th456
7th 556

Cool APP. NOTE: I have not shot past 286 yards with the guns. Really nice when shooting P-dogs :)

good luck to all
the dog

I've got a couple of the E1 3-9x40's and use the same system.

Back in the day when running dogs was the norm and a 742 WoodsMaster was the king of the woods in the South, a 100 yard zero and using the post of your duplex as your second sight in would get you a pretty good ways compared to a open sighted 30-30.

With a 200 yard zero and a flat shooting rifle, that system should get you over 400 or 500 pretty easy with a basic duplex reticle. I've got a 6x42 coming in for my 338 RCM and the system I'm using.

I've found that my groups are often better at 200 yds than at 100. If I get 1" groups at 100, I've found my 200 yd groups are often still 1". At 300 they are 1.5-2.0" if there is not much crosswind blowing. I don't know if the bullets haven't quite gone to "sleep" at 100 could cause this? I shoot .338 Nosler partition 250 gr bullets from my .340 Weatherby mag at 3050 fps and have had similar results from my .270 Weatherby mag shooting 140 gr Failsafe bullets at 3300 fps. If anything my .270 groups are about .2" tighter at distance than the .340 groups. Have any of you seen similar results? I've not shot the longer mono metal bullets and wonder if twist rates factor in? Both of my barrels are Douglas premium match barrels with 1 in 10 twists. GJ

I believe this is because some bullets stabilize faster than others. The ones that take a while, tend to be more consistent at longer ranges than they are at short ranges. I've heard that bullets without a boat tail tend to stabilize quickly, while boat tailed bullets tend to take longer. Makes a certain amount of sense...

I believe this is because some bullets stabilize faster than others. The ones that take a while, tend to be more consistent at longer ranges than they are at short ranges. I've heard that bullets without a boat tail tend to stabilize quickly, while boat tailed bullets tend to take longer. Makes a certain amount of sense...

I am fairly sure the physics does not work like this. Bullets can yaw early, but have read a few articles that say this is insufficient to rise above the noise of other inherent inaccuracies. Even if early instability did apply noticeable error in the first 100 yards, there is no physical force that would then push it back on target after "stabilizing" - its distance from point of aim would continue to grow the farther away from the barrel, stabilized or not.

Bullets don't "go to sleep" or stabilize during flight. That myth has been debunked.

Bullets don't "go to sleep" or stabilize during flight. That myth has been debunked.

I have always believed the tighter groups at any farther range ,rather than a closer range were because of shooter concentration problems and or optic focus error at closer target.

From the information I've read is parallax is set at 150yrds for rifle scopes and 50 yards for 22 scopes. This is for fixed parallax scopes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back