Optics options for mule deer

targetpanic

I'm looking for opinions. I Will hopefully be heading West for the first time next season to chase mule deer. Help me decide which optics I should be bringing with me. I currently own a pair of Leupold Pro Guide HD in 12x50, Brunton Eterna 8X45 and a cheap Alpen spotter 15-45X60. This will be a rifle hunt in SE Montana. Is the spotter even necessary or worth bringing? The quality of the image is so-so at best. My wife will be hunting as well. She has a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 which should be fine.

Bring your 8x45 and your spotter, have your wife bring her 10x45 and that is all you need.

Depending on how you plan on hunting it may be beneficial to bring the spotting scope. I have a similar Alpen scope, and while not the best quality, it is nice to have while driving the roads and spot and stalking. I never carry it in my pack, but it serves a great purpose in the truck. If you are packing into the back country where pack weight is an issue than I would leave it home. I would bring the Leupolds as well.

Used to have a pair of 10x binoculars around here some where. First time I tried them for scanning, I'd spot something, take them down and then couldn't see that something with my eyes. To make matters worse, I could put them right back up and had trouble finding that something again. Problem for me was just to much power. That was the first time and last time I used them. These day's it a set of 7x35's.

Thank you for your opinions guys! I was really expecting people to say bring the 12x50 and leave the spotting scope at home.

Spotter depends on your preferences. I have been on both sides of the argument. Currently, I rarely leave for a mule deer hunt without a spotter.

Be sure to get a window mount for the scope as well as a good carry tripod. You can sit and glass from your truck. Also get yourself an eye patch from the drug store. It will enable you to glass much longer with much less eyestrain by not having to keep one eye closed. This is especially important when using a lesser quality scope. GJ

I would never, ever hunt eastern mt without a spotter.
After 30+ years of doing it I prefer the 12x50 swaro binos and a 65mm vortex spotter on a light tripod.
Best combo imo.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back